You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
Boxer/Ducato/Relay - Speedometer difficult to read in daylight
AuthorMessage
userTracker
Posted: 6 December 2018 6:07 PM
Subject: RE: Boxer/Ducato/Relay - Speedometer difficult to read in daylight

Thanks Derek, my apologies I got confused.
A GPS HUD does not appeal to me!!
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 6 December 2018 6:17 PM

ColinM50 - 2018-12-06 5:25 PM

Appreciate that Tracker but thought giving them the opportunity of widening the info base might be helpful to them. Happy to call them and post their reply?

Phoned them but no reply. Will try tomorrow

I did mention to Lockwood your comment "you'd have thought they'd have changed the fuel and temperature gauge dials for white too” but (as I said above) the decision to leave that display’s background black was based on the same reasoning as leaving the lower section of the speedometer and tachometer dial-face black - it allows the warning symbols/lights to be show up better.

Exactly the same dial kits are provided for Boxers as for Ducatos

https://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials/mph/peugeot/a-z/boxer.html

and the black-on-white dial-face kit (Part No. 8329) just replaces the original speedometer and tachometer faces.

You could, of course, commission Lockwood to produce a black-on-white fuel/temperature display to complement the black-on-white speedometer/tachometer dials (though I suspect Lockwood might advise against it) or you could commission a kit with a black-on-white scale for the speedometer and tachometer with the lower section of both (and the fuel/temperature display) in a tasteful grey colour that would allow the warning symbols/lights to show up reasonably well.

As (to the best of my knowledge) Lockwood haven’t created a colour-changed fuel/temperature display, you’d need to anticipate that a one-off bespoke display would not be cheap (Ken Hall paid much more than £55 for Lockwood to provide the black-on-white dial-faces that they now advertise generally).

And don’t forget that, although you like the idea of a non-black fuel/temperature display, other people might not. I’ve attached a photo showing the white dial-faces and, personally, I prefer the fuel/temperature display having been left unchanged so that it complements the black lower section of the speedometer and tachometer dials.

(Ducato cluster.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ducato cluster.jpg (140KB - 34 downloads)
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 7 December 2018 9:19 AM

Regarding the cost of a ‘bespoke’ dial-face for a Boxer/Ducato/Relay, I notice (on the Practical Motorhome forum) that Lockwood has given a guide-price and also commented on why there is currently no ‘white dial’ kit for X290 Ducatos with ComfortMatic transmission

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/forum/tech/2397-boxer-ducato-relay-speedometer-difficult-to-see#9091
userLockwood
Posted: 10 December 2018 2:53 PM

Just joined

Hi Everybody,
we are going to start to produce the white dials for the Automatic model in the next few days.
Also you will be pleased to hear that we are going to include the Fuel and Temp' gauge in the set.
Lockwood Int.
userDeneb
Posted: 10 December 2018 5:05 PM

Gets involved

On the face of it (no pun intended!) these dials look to be an improvement in clarity over the standard dials, although I can't say the original dials have troubled me greatly, unlike some.

I wonder how they fare with the dashboard illumination though. My X290 has backlit instrument lighting which has an orange colouration visible through the white figures on the dials. I understand that the black ink used on the white dials is a special translucent ink to allow the backlit illumination to show through similar to the original dials. I just wonder how much more visible this actually makes the dials in practice. Probably not much different at night unless the white dial faces are somehow also illuminated by or reflecting an external light source, and in the daytime without any backlit illumination I can also envisage the visibility being much improved.

But as many (most?) X290s will either have had the software update to enable instrument illumination at all times or are now supplied with that as the default setting in the case of newer vehicles, I wonder what effect the backlighting shining through the figures on the instruments will have when contrasted against the white background in daylight?
userLockwood
Posted: 11 December 2018 8:16 AM

Just joined

Hi,
the backlight is still amber at night. The white tends to silhouette so looks like the standard dial.
userronecc
Posted: 2 January 2019 3:39 PM

Just joined

Just a thought. Whist owners are pondering which way to go with their speedo's, if you have a Tom Tom or some other satnav system, just attach it, as it should have a true mph readout. Maybe Tom Tom/Garmin could just produce one of their satnavs but just have a big speed readout in place of the maps, or an option to switch between speed and navigation.
usercolin
Posted: 2 January 2019 5:10 PM

Legendary contributor

ronecc - 2019-01-02 3:39 PM

Just a thought. Whist owners are pondering which way to go with their speedo's, if you have a Tom Tom or some other satnav system, just attach it, as it should have a true mph readout. Maybe Tom Tom/Garmin could just produce one of their satnavs but just have a big speed readout in place of the maps, or an option to switch between speed and navigation.

As I posted on another thread, you can get a speedo app for smart phones, from the screen shots they can have a large display, but I think most would like a standard speedo which they can read.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 2 January 2019 6:07 PM

A wish to resize the 'speed-readout’ element of a sat-nav’s display was discussed here last week.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Which-sat-nav/50950/

Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator