Boxer X250 Deadlocks

dwaviation

For years now I have activated the deadlocks in my van by quickly pressing the lock button on the remote twice, first to lock, second to deadlock.

Recently the second button press to deadlock isn't working, I used to hear the deadlocks latch but nothing now.

Is there any way of resetting the system?

You're right Mike - Once to lock and then a further 'two' to deadlock, my mistake :-D Still not working though.... But I do get two flashes of the indicators on one press of the fob (Lock) and then three flashes on two further presses of the fob indicating Deadlocked, but no noise :'(

I shall change the battery over the next few days.

Guest Peter James
dwaviation - 2012-01-04 5:41 PM

then three flashes on two further presses of the fob indicating Deadlocked, but no noise :'(

I shall change the battery over the next few days.

Do any of the doors deadlock?

Try this by locking yourself inside.

mikebeaches - 2012-01-04 7:28 PM
Peter James - 2012-01-04 5:46 PM
Do any of the doors deadlock?Try this by locking yourself inside.
I've tried deadlocking mine, without success...Do ALL X250s deadlock?

I don't think so !

Ours doesn't. It is a factory fit extra and perhaps Adria didn't want to pay the extra cost - same as our missing passenger airbag and cruise control

Steve

Guest Peter James

I've tried deadlocking mine, without success...

Do ALL X250s deadlock?

My van always has (X250 Maxi Van, not coachbuilt). Shut yourself inside (or stay outside). Press the remote locking key twice, and you can't open any of the doors with the door handles, from either side.

Thats the idea of it - if anyone smashes a window they can't open the door.

To open the doors from inside or out, you either have to press the remote again, or put the key in the ignition.

Thats one of the things that got the X250 Thatcham security category 4 (4 out of 5 which is good)

I've tried deadlocking mine, without success...

Do ALL X250s deadlock?

No not all X250's deadlock, mine doesn't, jury's out on whether it's a German 'safety feature', or because it's not UK suplied model, when at Fiat dealers they where quite puzzled as to lack of 'features' that appeared when they plugged in diagnostics

This thread gets more and more interesting. I've tried deadlocking from inside, but without success. There is a light 'thunk' sound and a quick flash of the headlights when the lock button on the remote is pressed for the third time - but the doors are NOT deadlocked.

I must remember to ask the Fiat dealer when the van is next in for service.

Next time you have a flat battery you'll be grateful you don't have deadlocks. Bonnet release to get to proper terminals to jumpstart is at front of passenger door and cannot be accessed unless that door's open. Passenger door has no barrel lock and can only be unlocked from inside. If it's deadlocked, cannot be un(dead)locked without the central locking. If battery is dead, no central locking, only way in is the barrel lock on driver's door. Sevel didn't think through the implications of left versus right hand drive...

(There is a solution - in through driver's door, take up floor of cab to put battery across dead-battery terminals simply to arm the central locking. Disarm deadlocks to open passenger door, open bonnet then jumpstart from proper terminals...)

My Peugeot Boxer had deadlocks, operation as OP described. My current Ducato does not - in fact the 2nd press of the plip acts to arm the alarm with PIRs excluded. Thinking out loud, I wonder if deadlocks are something that's always fitted but configured on/off according to market, and the OP's van has thrown a wobbler & lost it's programming. Visit to Peugeot dealer in order?

colin - 2012-01-04 11:02 PM

Deadlocking on UK models can be activated/deactived with diagnostic tool acording to Nick, not sure if it can on mine as the 'technicians' wern't very technical minded.

Fascinated by this thread - I really will have to speak to the Fiat dealer. I was out in the van last night to see if I could get it to deadlock.

Also, a very good point that Rosbotham makes, concerning situation with a flat battery and no access to the bonnet opening lever on RHD vehicles! A couple of points - the battery has to be VERY flat not to operate the central locking, but I admit it could happen. Secondly, would it not be possible to run 12v - say from the leisure battery - into the cigarette lighter or power take-off in the cab, to provide sufficient juice to unlock the doors - I don't know - it was just a thought?

mikebeaches - 2012-01-05 10:16 AM

Also, a very good point that Rosbotham makes, concerning situation with a flat battery and no access to the bonnet opening lever on RHD vehicles! A couple of points - the battery has to be VERY flat not to operate the central locking, but I admit it could happen. Secondly, would it not be possible to run 12v - say from the leisure battery - into the cigarette lighter or power take-off in the cab, to provide sufficient juice to unlock the doors - I don't know - it was just a thought?

Could happen, did happen... (mainly because a numpty autoelectrician wired my wireless reversing camera direct to battery, not ignition-switched 12V...)

Unfortunately the cigarette lighter / power outlet idea won't work - these are wired to only connect when the ignition's on. That's the same reason why it's pointless plugging a trickle charge solar panel into them - not connected as soon as you kill the ignition.

Paul

Guest ChrisB

Mine is a "standard" UK conversion from an "off the shelf" van and has the deadlock facility (it only needs a "double click" to activate the deadlocks and after-fit Cat 1 alarm).

However, would never use it whilst in the van overnight - no easy egress in an emergency.

I did flatten the battery once, but fortunately my mains leisure battery charger also charges the vehicle battery so a few hours hook-up fortunately got everything up and running again.

Our van is Peugeot based but surely a Fiat is the same. Our deadlocks operate by pressing the remote locking button once and then pressing it once (not twice) again. I have tried it sitting in the van and this is definitely how it works. This is as described in the Peugeot handbook and there is nothing in there about having to activate it via the ecu or anything else. This must be a standard fit on UK vehicles but maybe not on non UK vans.

• 2 weeks later...

Wahay... :-D :-D and they're working again! Spooky

The only expanation I can offer is that my 'bulb failure' light was illuminated on the dash for about two months (one of the two rear No plate bulbs had blown). I got round to replacing the bulb yesterday which cleared the dash and today the deadlocks work 8-)

I know..its late and my reply is really nothing to do with attempting to use the deadlocks.

My vehicle is also BoxerX250..I went down to Bournemouth last weekend ..by National Express coach..?? Leaving the Motor home secure with aforesaid deadlocks on[?] .A day or so after getting back from our jaunt I went down my drive to check the vehicle..Deadlocks on ..OK..all doors still locked..everything seemed OK???Got in..

The Cab passenger side window was wide open..??and had been like that all week?

Morale..don't matter how good the locks are..if you are like me subject to "Senior moments" then....

Hope you solve the problem..me..just going to lie down??

Sorry Peter James but I fear you have misunderstood Thatcham categories somewhat. They do not alter according to the level of security of any particular item rather the different categories are for different areas of security. The following list from the Thatcham website gives the full list of categories and what each one covers:

Category1:[L1][H1][P1] COMBINEDALARMANDIMMOBILISER

Category2:[L2][H2][P2] ELECTRONIC/ELECTROMECHANICALIMMOBILISER

Category21:[L21][H21] ALARMUPGRADES(GENERALAPPLICATION)

Category3:[L3][H3][P3] MECHANICALIMMOBILISER

Category4: WHEELLOCKINGDEVICES

Category5: AFTERTHEFTSYSTEMSFORVEHICLERECOVERY

Category6: STOLENVEHICLETRACKINGSYSTEMS

Category7: STOLENVEHICLELOCATIONSYSTEMS

As you can see Cat 4 is for wheel locking devices and therefore has nothing whatsoever to do with deadlocking of doors which are not in fact certified by Thatcham at all.

D.

cheetahdavie - 2012-01-22 12:57 AM

I know..its late and my reply is really nothing to do with attempting to use the deadlocks.

My vehicle is also BoxerX250..I went down to Bournemouth last weekend ..by National Express coach..?? Leaving the Motor home secure with aforesaid deadlocks on[?] .A day or so after getting back from our jaunt I went down my drive to check the vehicle..Deadlocks on ..OK..all doors still locked..everything seemed OK???Got in..

The Cab passenger side window was wide open..??and had been like that all week?

Morale..don't matter how good the locks are..if you are like me subject to "Senior moments" then....

Hope you solve the problem..me..just going to lie down??

You could always try fitting these to your motorhome's cab windows:

http://www.gordonrigg-gardencentres.co.uk/accessories/bird-alert-window-stickers/

(I did a similar thing in warm, still weather in France last year. I'd lowered one of the cab windows to increase air-flow through the motorhome and then forgot I'd done this. Fortunately I didn't leave the vehicle unattended with the window open, but it was an educational experience when I came to fix the stick-on interior 'screens' to the window-glass that wasn't there!)

Dave Newell - 2012-01-22 8:35 AM

Sorry Peter James but I fear you have misunderstood Thatcham categories somewhat. They do not alter according to the level of security of any particular item rather the different categories are for different areas of security. The following list from the Thatcham website gives the full list of categories and what each one covers:

Category1:[L1][H1][P1] COMBINEDALARMANDIMMOBILISER

Category2:[L2][H2][P2] ELECTRONIC/ELECTROMECHANICALIMMOBILISER

Category21:[L21][H21] ALARMUPGRADES(GENERALAPPLICATION)

Category3:[L3][H3][P3] MECHANICALIMMOBILISER

Category4: WHEELLOCKINGDEVICES

Category5: AFTERTHEFTSYSTEMSFORVEHICLERECOVERY

Category6: STOLENVEHICLETRACKINGSYSTEMS

Category7: STOLENVEHICLELOCATIONSYSTEMS

As you can see Cat 4 is for wheel locking devices and therefore has nothing whatsoever to do with deadlocking of doors which are not in fact certified by Thatcham at all.

D.

I suspect the two of you are at cross-purposes (though Peter did, somewhat erroneously use the word "category").

In addition to assessing individual security componenets and "categorising" them, Thatcham also carry out a rating of vehicle types against "Theft of" and "Theft from" criteria.

For each of these, a star rating is given on a scale of zero to 5, (a Peugeot Boxer, for example, gaining ratings of 4 stars and 3 stars respectively) and the existence of deadlocks is likely to have some effect in this area.

I think you will find that it is this assessment that Peter refers to.

Archived