Braithwaite Fold CCC site

Brians dad

I noticed a small piece in the latest CCC magazine informing us that 'next year Braithwaite Fold will no longer be part of the network'. Also their Luss site in Scotland is leaving - no explanation of why in either case. We were there in April, and a new extension with over 20 more pitches was about to open so it is obviously not being sold for housing. We found it a lovely convenient site, close to Bowness and Windermere with buses and eating facilities nearby.

So, does anybody know any more abut the future of this site? I know it is owned by the council, and the CCC took it over from the CMC a few years ago, presumably by offering a higher rent. My hope is that the CMC will put a bid in for it. As a very popular site, pitch fees will always be higher than average, but as part of one of the clubs rather than under private ownership at least we knew that prices were not a total rip off.

When we were last there, one of the wardens mentioned that their (C&CC) tenure was coming to an end, and that management would be re-tendered by South Lakeland District Council.

I assume this process is the natural follow-up to when the management last switched from the CC (C&MC) to them a few years ago.

The management of the site is indeed now up to tender:

https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/business-and-trade/procurement/current-opportunities/

...but it is interesting to note that the deadline for submission has not yet passed.

Whether this means that the C&CC, given their announcement, are not bothering to tender, or that they are simply being careful, as they have no secure tender beyond a given date, remains to be seen.

Thanks Robinhood for your reply and link. I think South Lakeland council have not handled this well, by putting it up for tender quite late in the year, and only giving 6 weeks between acceptance of tender and the start of the new lease - not very long for any new operator to get organised. Also, by giving only a 10 year lease it does not incentivise the operator to invest in the site. I know that the C&MC like 25 year leases which gives them sufficient payback time for improvements they make.

• 3 months later...

A post elsewhere jogged my memory on this.

Research indicated that South Lakeland District Council seem to have had some internal "debate" on the best way forward, and the past ITT disappeared down a black hole following that.

It would now appear that they finally decided that they would put the management of the site out to long-term tender, (25 years) the deadline for submission is now past, and, given the proposed dates, I would think there should be some news shortly.

https://procontract.due-north.com/Advert?advertId=c655466c-2b39-ea11-80fc-005056b64545

Thanks for the update Robinhood. Pleased to see that there has been an outbreak of common sense in the South Lakeland council, and that they have made the site an attractive proposition for people to invest in. I guess the CMC might now be interested, though as some of the pitches are a bit close together for their preference, they would have to invest quite a lot of money - not to mention expanding the toilet block. I would still prefer it to be a club site rather than go private.

There are various rumours around about the acceptability of the bids submitted (though how someone out of the loop would know for a tender under public sector rules defeats me!).

The only definitive information I can find is that it is supposedly up for Council decision in two weeks time (19th, or poss 20th, as I'm working from memoery).

Archived