Brake light 2012 IH TIO

sandalwood

You should find bulb specifications in the “CHANGING A BULB” section of you Fiat Ducato Owner Handbook (I assume your motorhome is Ducato-based). I believe the bulb is a common-or-garden P21/5W type (photo attached)

The Handbook will also include instructions on how to remove the rear light-cluster. However, those instructions apply to a standard Ducato van with opening rear doors and I think your Tio may have a fixed rear panel.

(There have been on-line complaints that replacing a rear-light bulb on some panel-van conversions requires a fair bit of preliminary dismantling and the dexterity of a brain surgeon.)

334877486_P215W.thumb.jpg.0a48f111dae80c24d00a1fd68780ee52.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-06 9:05 AM

..................................................................................................................................

The Handbook will also include instructions on how to remove the rear light-cluster. However, those instructions apply to a standard Ducato van with opening rear doors and I think your Tio may have a fixed rear panel.

(There have been on-line complaints that replacing a rear-light bulb on some panel-van conversions requires a fair bit of preliminary dismantling and the dexterity of a brain surgeon.)

I have no problems removing the rear ligt clusters on my 2006 IH Tio R. All that is needed is a Phillips No. 3 screwdriver or bit.

Alan

Your Tio is based on a Ducato X244 and its rear-light cluster will be retained by two ‘external’ screws that are easily and simply undone from outside the vehicle.

Sandalwood’s 2012 Tio is based on a Ducato X250 and its rear-light cluster will be retained by fixings on the back of the cluster that need to be accessed from inside the vehicle.

Just augmenting Derek's advice on this (he has also nominated the bulb type as set out in the manual, a P21/5W), in case you don't have the vehicle manual, the instructions are as the attached diagrams. (they show the nearside, but it is a mirror image on the offside).

The light cluster needs to be released from inside the 'van, as set out, then removed from the outside, and this may well be made difficult by the placement of furniture by the converter.

Normally, if furniture does impede access, there will be a removable panel allowing (sometimes awkward) access to the rear of the light cluster.

It has been known for certain converters to overlook this requirement, and certainly there have been some conversions that were "bodged" to allow the light unit to be unscrewed from the outside. I suspect neither of these will apply in your case.

1433598461_BrakeLight1.JPG.67dffaf5e2ea5342f05467f07ec46d17.JPG

2077667580_BrakeLight2.JPG.387b25172ad9633cc60e6c23f674858c.JPG

Derek Uzzell - 2019-05-06 1:22 PM

Your Tio is based on a Ducato X244 and its rear-light cluster will be retained by two ‘external’ screws that are easily and simply undone from outside the vehicle.

Sandalwood’s 2012 Tio is based on a Ducato X250 and its rear-light cluster will be retained by fixings on the back of the cluster that need to be accessed from inside the vehicle.

I can see how that that could create a problem. On our two cars, Saab 9-3 Estate, and Skoda Fabia Estate, you have to remove sections of the trim to gain access to the rearlight retaining nuts.

Perhaps more attention should be given to this problem by converters, and prospective purchasers of PVCs.

The main reason that we have an x244 based vehicle, instead of an early x250, was that it provided or allowed the features that we appreciated.

Alan

Alan

Archived