Breakdown and recovery Cover

Cliffy

Having been with ADAC for 10 years I now want to change due to their restrictions in cover.

I have a quote from both clubs C&CC (Green flag) are quoting £228 as a member. The C&MC (RAC) are quoting £130 as a none member and for a similar level of cover.

Can anyone comment on the actual service of either company GOOD OR BAD.

Thanks in advance.

My own experience of 40 years with RAC via C&CC Arrival has been as good as can be expected. They attend or send a contractor and either fix if a smallish issue or recover if larger. The biggest problem is being in Northern Ireland I don’t think the number of actual RAC personnel is as many as in GB (ratio) so time to respond can vary according to time of day and demand.

I have held RAC Arrival for 10? Years. Not had any call to use them for the Motorhome or in Europe.

My cover is £300 per year (open to haggle) for a family of 5 each with a card for any vehicle they are in anywhere in Europe 365 per year.. roadside, recovery, onward travel with no weight, length or age restrictions.

This equates to about £60 each for full European cover in any vehicle, not that the kids offer to contribute!

I have looked at C&MC who want £74 for one vehicle for my wife and me in the UK. Remember I am in N. Ireland, so RAC automatically cover me in the south of Ireland. I don’t know if Green flag do the same.

They want another £324 to cover my Motorhome only in Europe with max trip of 66 during the year of cover. Or £432 for the plus variant.

As with all things insurance premiums and cover vary from person to person, but RAC Arrival family membership is head and shoulders a better deal for me. They can also be haggled with each renewal.

As an aside RAC do a seperate policy open to anyone to cover claim losses not covered by your policy (you know the sort of add on for £20 that all insurers try to sell) we have 3 cars on an Admiral multicar policy. If I chose to buy the add on it would cost £20 per policy (£60 total) The RAC policy covers all the same issues for up to 5 people for the sum total of £20. Worth looking at.

Davy

Having been with ADAC for 10 years I now want to change due to their restrictions in cover.

I have a quote from both clubs C&CC (RAC) are quoting £228 as a member. The C&MC (Green Flag) are quoting £130 as a none member and for a similar level of cover.

Can anyone comment on the actual service of either company GOOD OR BAD.

Thanks in advance.

We have RAC Arrival, it's on a personal basis and covers both of us for any vehicle we are in, even as passengers, and that includes the van. Renewed last sept £160, that only includes 'Roadside' and 'Recovery', but not 'At Home' or any other addon's.

Have found the RAC very good to deal with, but note that nowadays, like I think most breakdown services, there are limitations around accident's, i.e. you will be recovered, but they will chase firstly your insurance, and if this isn't forthcoming will bill you, but I think most do that now.

I have RAC personal cover in any vehicle. Left me for 5 hours and a contractor only turned up because I rang a second time. I could have walked home by the time they got there and that would have included pushing the car the 15 miles. I wont be renewing >:-)

If you insure with Comfort (here: https://tinyurl.com/yxdxy5qn ) you can add breakdown and recovery cover for about £65 a year. The cover is provided by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance, who own no breakdown fleet, but Comfort claim their responses via local garages are more reliable than were those of the RAC. As I haven't needed to use either so far, I couldn't possibly comment! :-D

Archived