Breakdown insurance

Mileo202

Hello all.

Having progressed from sleeping in the car to Trailer tent, we now have a Mileo202 motorhome,,

Could anyone recommend Breakdown and repatriation cover. i.e. home and Europe

I've read mag's etc which just say,, get good cover, but not which,,, also comments from people who thought they had bought good cover until they breakdown or need bringing home,,

Any help Please

Last year I insured the van with Saga (almost half the price of the competition) and as a matter of convenience took their 365 day a year UK & Continental European cover – about £99 at the time with no time restrictions.

As we take relatively short breaks abroad in the van the cover is greater than we need. After looking around and doing a little arithmetic I’m switching to a paid Nationwide Bank account which will provide breakdown cover for all my vehicles both here and abroad albeit with a 180 day foreign travel restriction. I should save about £60 pa and gain additional cover when driving the car in France.

So I guess one of the first things you might do is compile a list of what you want your breakdown insurance to cover and then get to grips with the various insurance policy T&Cs - there will be plenty of small print differences.

Incidentally, I’ve never had to make a call out so can’t comment on the quality of the service.

Robert

Motorhome breakdown insurance is discussed here:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/motorhome-insurance-advice-the-right-breakdown-cover

There is an understandable tendency to select an insurance policy primarily on price and - while there’s no point paying more for a product that will clearly be overkill for a person’s particular needs, or is more expensive than another policy offering exactly the same benefits - if a policy appears to be an absolute ‘bargain’, it would be wise to check its terms and conditions very carefully.

Not sure if you’ll get any feedback here from people who’ve had major breakdown insurance-related problems, but a GOOGLE-search on “motorhome breakdown insurance nightmares” retrieves some entries (example here)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/aa-nightmare.24197/

michaelmorris - 2018-02-19 1:23 PM

Basil - 2018-02-18 6:52 PM

We use Britannia Rescue, reasonable cost for what is offered compared to the other big companies, and with less restrictions.

Bas

Just added European cover to our existing Britannia Rescue policy. Only cost £16 extra! :-D

So what is the total cost of your breakdown insurance?

BruceM - 2018-02-19 1:48 PM

michaelmorris - 2018-02-19 1:23 PM

Basil - 2018-02-18 6:52 PM

We use Britannia Rescue, reasonable cost for what is offered compared to the other big companies, and with less restrictions.

Bas

Just added European cover to our existing Britannia Rescue policy. Only cost £16 extra! :-D

So what is the total cost of your breakdown insurance?

£106 inc.personal cover (any car we are travelling in) for the UK. This means my wife's car is covered in the UK as well. This also includes a whopping £74 discount for being a member of the CSMA (which only costs £26 a year)

https://www.boundless.co.uk/

Archived