Brexit and travel in Europe

flyboyprowler

As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole. Does anyone know if, as retired people wanting to tour the roads of Europe for more than the said 180 days a year, will we be able to have, or purchase a yearly Euro travel visa or similar.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyboyprowler - 2018-10-20 12:23 PM

As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole. Does anyone know if, as retired people wanting to tour the roads of Europe for more than the said 180 days a year, will we be able to have, or purchase a yearly Euro travel visa or similar.

I think you are jumping the gun a bit as there has not yet been a deal finalised with the EU.

( But it won't stop a lot of people speculating )

;-)

When we ran ski holidays, back in the early eighties, we stayed in France from early December to middle April. This was pre the freedom of movement rubbish and no one ever tried to throw us out. If you are moving around, once in euro land, who is going to care. Cannot see this bothering many though but as been said nothing agreed yet so despite our resident expert, Barry, on all things Brexit wise, who knows.

rupert123 - 2018-10-20 3:56 PM

When we ran ski holidays, back in the early eighties, we stayed in France from early December to middle April. This was pre the freedom of movement rubbish and no one ever tried to throw us out. If you are moving around, once in euro land, who is going to care. Cannot see this bothering many though but as been said nothing agreed yet so despite our resident expert, Barry, on all things Brexit wise, who knows.

That was clearly before Schengen was formed then in 1985. Now all third countries outside of the EU which is what the UK will be have to abide by Schengen rules. You dont need to be an expert to read up on how it now works and how over stayers from outside of Europe are frequently caught, fined heavily and deported and may be refused entry in the future. Try winging it once we have left and let us know how you get on if you like. I would check your insurance and medical cover though as I doubt it will extend beyond the legal three months of any stay in Europe after which you will be an illegal immigrant.

There is a way to avoid all this of course. Either we stay in the single market and customs union or better still remain in the EU. Trust me, as someone who spends up to six months in Europe some years I have looked into it. Im hopefully planning a long trip next summer for perhaps the last time. End of en era. So very sad.

Switzerland is in Schengen, Norway is EFTA - which has a negotiated dual access agreement with the EU, and Andorra has treaty arrangements with the EU for movement of goods. It would be wise to check what effect Brexit may have on travel requirements between these non-EU states for UK citizens post Brexit - though I have no idea who will be able to tell you at present!

Actually we already are......though many people 1) are not aware of it, or 2) know, but 'fly below the radar'. All to do with the "3 month rule" which means anyone spending over three months out of UK can be removed from their GP's list. Note i specifically state 'can' because some GP's will overlook it.....but not all. It can also result in NHS treatment being declined.

A few years ago i was concerned enough to raise this matter with my MP for clarification who in turn contacted the Dept of Health and he sent me copy of their letter which i will willingly pm you copy of if you wish to check it out for yourself.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 9:44 PM

Actually we already are......though many people 1) are not aware of it, or 2) know, but 'fly below the radar'. All to do with the "3 month rule" which means anyone spending over three months out of UK can be removed from their GP's list. Note i specifically state 'can' because some GP's will overlook it.....but not all. It can also result in NHS treatment being declined.

A few years ago i was concerned enough to raise this matter with my MP for clarification who in turn contacted the Dept of Health and he sent me copy of their letter which i will willingly pm you copy of if you wish to check it out for yourself.

So, am I not right in thinking under the current rules, with free travel in Europe that an individual can only spend a maximum of 183 days in any one country in the EU, after which problems arise as to fiscal residency and indeed health registration. But, there was nothing to then stop you moving on to the next country and the 183 clock started ticking again, and using the E111 card for health.

flyboyprowler - 2018-10-20 9:03 PM

So, am I not right in thinking under the current rules, with free travel in Europe that an individual can only spend a maximum of 183 days in any one country in the EU, after which problems arise as to fiscal residency and indeed health registration. But, there was nothing to then stop you moving on to the next country and the 183 clock started ticking again, and using the E111 card for health.

You can transit or tour any number of countries both EU and non-EU......at the moment. BUT the "3 month rule" in UK has always applied to everyone. Next time you see your GP just mention it to him/her and they will know exactly what you're inquiring about. Some GP's won't even give three months and stipulate two, but that is actually wrong and could be challenged....eg i lost my place on an NHS dentists list because they will only allow two months. Soon as i told them i was away for 3 months they told me they could no longer see me as an NHS patient and I now have to pay private.

If neither you or any family member travelling with you are on prescribed meds you may get away with it, but if one of you is, then that's when the problems start. I'm not alone by any means, i've lost count of the number i've spoke to who have exactly the same issues as i have. But i also know some whose GP bends the rules.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 3:48 AM

You can transit or tour any number of countries both EU and non-EU......at the moment. BUT the "3 month rule" in UK has always applied to everyone. Next time you see your GP just mention it to him/her and they will know exactly what you're inquiring about. Some GP's won't even give three months and stipulate two, but that is actually wrong and could be challenged....eg i lost my place on an NHS dentists list because they will only allow two months. Soon as i told them i was away for 3 months they told me they could no longer see me as an NHS patient and I now have to pay private.

If neither you or any family member travelling with you are on prescribed meds you may get away with it, but if one of you is, then that's when the problems start. I'm not alone by any means, i've lost count of the number i've spoke to who have exactly the same issues as i have. But i also know some whose GP bends the rules.

To be fair GP rules in the UK is not what the OP Asked. My GP is aware we often go travelling but I never specified for how long. You can easily as you say "get away" with staying out of the UK for more than three months, its not illegal. Over staying in Schengen certainly is.

For me, it would be interesting to know how many of the members of this forum actually spend or intend to spend more than 3 months at a time, or indeed more than 183 days in a year away from the UK. Then we could apply to those lovely people in Brussels for an "exemption to motorhomers" right to travel in the EU!!!!! :-D (lol)

I can remember the days before the EU EEC or whatever, as can many on here, we changed or money into Francs, Pesatas and so on. We drove across many borders with nothing more than a wave of the old blue passport. Many times the border posts were not even manned.

Nobody cared how long we stayed, we had reciprocal health arrangements with most countries around Europe and we never bothered with insurance.

The only thing the EU has ever done for me is to have a common currency, saved a few bob in commission fees, and that's about it.

So, all you remoaners, don't worry, the world will not end, we will still be able to go abroad, take the dog, buy cheap booze, and even still buy French and German cars!

H

Barryd999 - 2018-10-21 8:37 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 3:48 AM

To be fair GP rules in the UK is not what the OP Asked. My GP is aware we often go travelling but I never specified for how long. You can easily as you say "get away" with staying out of the UK for more than three months, its not illegal. Over staying in Schengen certainly is.

Well that's not how i read the op's query which opened with, "As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole" to which my posts reaffirmed the point we already are....just that some are not aware of it, or those that are, choose to ignore and 'fly under the radar'.

Overtstaying in Schengen is least of anyones worries....most that happens is you get booted out and rightly so imo though you might be slapped with a fine or, worst case scenario, your passport stamped "illegal immigrant" status and then you are stuffed but that not likely to happen unless you've been really naughty. It's more about what you could end up losing once back here in UK...eg as i did over my Dentist, not a massive deal but still annoying as NHS dentists are few and far between. Note i'm saying 'could' and not 'definitely will'. For me it would have been much worse had my GP removed me, which he's told me in no uncertain terms he will if i'm out longer than 90 days as that also has repercussions with the NHS.

I know the dodges as well as some dodgers, but for me personally i can't afford to take the risk. The easiest answer is to pack up, sell up, and ship out quite frankly. Meantime here is a "how to" guide....note the writer brackets the word "legally"!

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/how-to-legally-stay-in-europe-for-more-than-90-days/

hallii - 2018-10-21 12:46 PM

I can remember the days before the EU EEC or whatever, as can many on here, we changed or money into Francs, Pesatas and so on. We drove across many borders with nothing more than a wave of the old blue passport. Many times the border posts were not even manned.

Nobody cared how long we stayed, we had reciprocal health arrangements with most countries around Europe and we never bothered with insurance.

The only thing the EU has ever done for me is to have a common currency, saved a few bob in commission fees, and that's about it.

So, all you remoaners, don't worry, the world will not end, we will still be able to go abroad, take the dog, buy cheap booze, and even still buy French and German cars!

H

Of course we will. For three months. Do allow a couple of days to get to the ferry though. You should be ok coming back as apparently our borders will just be left open.

Guest pelmetman

Seeing as the EU cant control those entering Europe illegally ;-) .........

Does anyone really think they will crack down on those willing to spend their cash in the EU????? *-) ........

Its all just more EU Huff & Puff.......why else would the Spanish be selling so many houses to the Russians who aren't even part of Schengen area???? >:-) .............

Guest pelmetman
flyboyprowler - 2018-10-21 9:23 AM

For me, it would be interesting to know how many of the members of this forum actually spend or intend to spend more than 3 months at a time, or indeed more than 183 days in a year away from the UK. Then we could apply to those lovely people in Brussels for an "exemption to motorhomers" right to travel in the EU!!!!! :-D (lol)

I do :D ..........I'll let you know if I get deported ie a free ferry back from Spain B-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2018-10-20 5:40 PM

That was clearly before Schengen was formed then in 1985. Now all third countries outside of the EU which is what the UK will be have to abide by Schengen rules. You dont need to be an expert to read up on how it now works and how over stayers from outside of Europe are frequently caught, fined heavily and deported and may be refused entry in the future. Try winging it once we have left and let us know how you get on if you like. I would check your insurance and medical cover though as I doubt it will extend beyond the legal three months of any stay in Europe after which you will be an illegal immigrant.

There is a way to avoid all this of course. Either we stay in the single market and customs union or better still remain in the EU. Trust me, as someone who spends up to six months in Europe some years I have looked into it. Im hopefully planning a long trip next summer for perhaps the last time. End of en era. So very sad.

Barry you have no clue what will happen, any more than the rest of us. No agreement has been reached although who knows what is going on behind the scenes. We only know we are leaving, I can see nothing stopping that now whatever we may wish for. Personally I could not care less, none of this will effect me, i just wish they would get on with it so we can all get back to stuff that really effects us.

"None of this will effect me"

What planet are you living on?

You may well be retired with a good pension, if so if will only be rising prices, less government income to fund your care home, fewer surgeons and nurses to cure your incontinence, but think of everyone else, especially the younger generation and those that will lose their jobs.

Not my forecast, but that of business, industry, manufacturing, the nhs, education and the government.

rupert123 - 2018-10-21 3:30 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-10-20 5:40 PM

Barry you have no clue what will happen, any more than the rest of us. No agreement has been reached although who knows what is going on behind the scenes. We only know we are leaving, I can see nothing stopping that now whatever we may wish for. Personally I could not care less, none of this will effect me, i just wish they would get on with it so we can all get back to stuff that really effects us.

Well take it from me as a long term traveller I have studied this in detail.

We are not part of Schengen. I take it everyone agrees with that. The only way you can have free movement within the EU is if you are either a fully paid up member of the EU, in Schengen or In the EFTA (Single Market) like Norway.

If you want free movement then that is the only way to have it which or course means us accepting the four freedoms pretty much. Those is the rules. If we are not part of Schengen or in EFTA once we leave we wont have Freedom of Movement just like any other country outside of Europe.

You say I dont have a clue what will happen but I do know what the rules are if we leave the EU without any of the above. Of course people like Dave just assume it will all be ok or others because it was ok in the olden days we can just go back to all that. The only thing I have to say about that is have you lot learned nothing in the past two and a half years?

Archived