Britstops, France Passion and Espana Discovery

TheEscapist

Hello again everyone

I was thinking about the best solution to avoiding the crowds whilst feeling safe for overnight parking and was recommended and was recommended this concept.

It seems ideal so I've ordered the books for the Uk, France and Spain - Switzerland was impossible without a PayPal account which I no longer use.

Can anyone share any tips or experiences of using these? I'd love to know how it works in practice.

Best wishes

Paul

These fairly recent forum threads may be of interest to you

https://tinyurl.com/y2mmwde8

(I think forum members’ experience of the France Passion scheme was reasonably well covered in your earlier ’safety/legality’ enquiry.)

For France, you might also consider the Camping-Car Park scheme

https://campingcarpark.com/en/

http://campingcarpark.com/docs/Camping-Car%20Park's%20areas.pdf

https://campingcarpark.com/en/map/

TheEscapist - 2019-03-13 4:21 PM

Hello again everyone

I was thinking about the best solution to avoiding the crowds whilst feeling safe for overnight parking and was recommended and was recommended this concept.

It seems ideal so I've ordered the books for the Uk, France and Spain - Switzerland was impossible without a PayPal account which I no longer use.

Can anyone share any tips or experiences of using these? I'd love to know how it works in practice.

Best wishes

Paul

We tend to travel off season, between early April and mid-late October, but avoiding July and the first two weeks of August. We do not often go to coastal locations.

We almost invariably use campsites, and have wandered fairly widely around central and southern Europe. Irrespective of country, we have seldom found campsites crowded, usually lightly occupied, and not infrequently have been the only van on the site. Even when fairly full, the marking and dividing of pitches means that neighbours are not close, but do give someone to say good day to and occasionally to chat to. Good local tips have been shared on many occasions.

Thus, we generally have peace and quiet, the van is not isolated, there is a degree of security and oversight, and we are not hemmed in by crowds.

Once away from the UK we have never booked ahead and, apart from the odd occasion when a site has unexpectedly closed, have always been accommodated on a site of our choice. We have found the ACSI card and book useful for their discounted rates, and the ACSI Campsites app an excellent resource for finding decent sites with the facilities we value. It also gives reasonably reliable opening and closing dates.

I appreciate that this is not a direct answer to your question, but in some locations a campsite is almost the only solution that offers reasonable day and night security, with lighting etc, especially when the days are shorter.

We’ve used Britstops and France Passion for some years. Britstops are great, mainly pubs, but some others. They are increasing in number. France Passion is the best established, over 2000 hosts - preponderance of vineyards, so tend to be more in wine producing departements. You can’t generally reserve in advance, only for hosts who offer an evening meal. No obligation to purchase anything from hosts, but there can be some moral pressure. It may not work out cheaper than a site - particularly if you stop on a FP host in the Champagne region! - but there are compensations!

We’ve not used the Spanish scheme.

If you don't like sitting on a warm evening watching the sun dip below the horizon, miles from the madding crowd, lifting a glass of your favourite tipple and admiring the view across vineyards and as safe as you're likely to get in this world of ours then France Passion isn't for you.

But if you do prefer to sample the FP sites then go for it – any bottles or produce you feel obliged to buy can be consumed by you or given as presents to deserving friends or relatives.

We have used vineyard, champagne producers, duck farms and goat farm Passion sites and all have been free or a minimal charge if you aren't a Member of FP.

1438677058_FRANCEPASSION1.jpg.849dd4164f3e266d6c8dc4bb9245e9bc.jpg

We Joined Britstops a few years ago and found it very useful.

Though we did not use it enough to justify a yearly subscription. So we only joined for the 1 year.

What I find works well is to look where you want to go then have a look on google maps and see if there are any pubs in the area. Check using google maps if the pub has a big car park then just ring them up.

Most pubs will let you park up for the night.

We almost always have a drink and a meal. I think buying some drinks is obligatory but I don't mind that.

I know a campsite and cook your own food might be cheaper but the campsite is invariably out of town or too far from the thing we want to see.

Not tried this in France or Spain yet.

Going to Spain in April so will look in to Espana Discovery

Enjoy

Hi, I have used both Britstops and France Passion

As I dont drink alcoholic beverages of any kind, I have searched through the books, and chosen carefully and created my own list of NONPUBS, then carefully plotted my route to suit.

Farm shops, restaurants etc that I have used have all met my requirements as suitable locations for overnight stops, and where possible I have made purchases, eg fresh meat in Cumbria,, and in North wales on the A5., as well as a cider museum in France..Pear juice was very refreshing.

Just obey the rules re arrival and departure , and enjoy them wherever you chose.

mixing britstops with club site cls etc enable me to enjoy my outings.

Tonyg3nwl

peedee - 2019-03-15 11:49 AM

I am thinking of joining Brit stops anyone got any feedback on how suitable it is for larger 8 meter plus motorhomes.

Peedèe

The Britstops book has a symbol showing suitability for larger vans (7.5 m +)

Our best FP experience was on a vineyard in Alsace - a dedicated paddock area, quiet and away from the village in a glorious setting among vineyards - and when we arrived the host asked us whether we preferred white wine or red. I thought it was a hard sell on buying wine, but in fact she was giving us a bottle of wine to have with tea! (Needless to say, it repaid when we bought wine from her the next morning!)

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out Brit Stops further at the National, hopefully they will have a stand there. I really only want to broaden the range of low facility stopping places open to me. It really is just throwng money down the drain for the amount of use I make of the facilities on sites.

I have used a French Passon site once so understand the system but I am generally happy with using the Aires, stellplatz etc for short stays whether free or not.

peedee

Archived