Brittany Ferries Cheaper Fares - associate member

mike 202

I have often considered travelling Portsmouth to Bilbao for my 2 six week pilgrimages to Spain but have been put off by the ferry cost.

However I have now found out that a Full member can add an associate member for £50. The associate member gets the same discount and priveliges as the full member, plus free breakfasts each way.

Discount is 30% on Spanish routes and £15% on French routes, so you can go UK to France one way and Spain -UK return or vise-versa or any combination you choose. Unlimited number of crossings.

It works as follows:-

Year 1 - One person joins @ £100 plus £100 annual fee, then the associate joins at £50. So a total of £250 split 2 ways gives £125 each.

Year 2 and subsequent years - £100 member and associate member £50, split ditto.

So if you have a friend willing to split the costs then better savings can be achieved.

Hope it helps fellow travellers make the hard earned go a bit further.

Mike

This was, until recently, called the Property Owners Travel Club.

To join you needed proof of ownership of either a French or Spanish property - am I stating the obvious here?

We are members of the 'club' and had to provide a french utility bill before acceptance.

Maybe with these tougher times they have relaxed things - but if that's not the case then two blokes can't just bowl up and ask to join.

Maybe I should 'tweak' a few of my french bills and sell them on the black market!

I've just paid my renewal - £60 and for us it pays for itself comfortably over our three to five visits a year and there are added benefits like the free breakfasts and free cabins on certain crossings.

I see you are a Pomponian Mike - the wifes down there now, nearly went with her to take in the match, glad I didn't now. Breaks my heart to see my home town team in such a state.

Mike.

If I remember correctly, Brittany Ferries' 'travel club' was originally called something like the "Frequent Travellers/Property Owners Club". This would probably have been in the 1990s. Eligibility was subsequently restricted to owners of property abroad, though I believe 'grandfather rights' were extended to existing frequent-traveller club members.

The Property Owmers Club was renamed to "Club Voyage" in late-2011, though the property-owning rule had been relaxed before that.

Condor Ferries also have a Frequent Traveller Club

http://www.condorferries.co.uk/frequent-travellers-club/default.aspx

If people do not wish to subscribe I'm sure there are members on here who would be prepared to offer their discount codes to anyone interested. That code gives a 10% discount and I for one have shared mine with a couple of people on here as I'm sure have others.

Can you tell me how this works then? We used a friend's Sea France concession a couple of years ago. I think of his 3 return tickets he was allowed to transfer 1 to a friend. He had to make the booking in our name and would have personally needed to make any changes if that had been necessary. To be honest, it was more bother than it was worth.

As far as I'm aware, I can book crossings for a 'guest' with BF as often as I like using my membership.

You are right about the booking going through the membership holder - that can be a faf if things change.

Guests will get 10% discount, and as an incentive BF give us a £10 voucher code to use the following year against our crossings - which I normally forget to utilise!

I've done it a few times for friends and family.

silverbike - 2013-01-27 12:42 PM

Can you tell me how this works then? We used a friend's Sea France concession a couple of years ago. I think of his 3 return tickets he was allowed to transfer 1 to a friend. He had to make the booking in our name and would have personally needed to make any changes if that had been necessary. To be honest, it was more bother than it was worth.

You make a booking in the normal way and tell the operator that you have a friends and family code. If you book online - as most do - there is a slot on the booking form for inserting the code. It's that simple.

Obviously nobody is going to reveal the code on here as one of the conditions prevents members from operating their membership commercially and in fact each member is able to only have their code used 15 times per year.

I have given my code to anyone who has PM'd me with the only condition that they inform me if they actually make a booking with the code.

As mentioned earlier the member receives a voucher worth £10 against future bookings each time the code is used.

globebuster - 2013-01-27 1:24 PM

As far as I'm aware, I can book crossings for a 'guest' with BF as often as I like using my membership.

You are right about the booking going through the membership holder - that can be a faf if things change.

Guests will get 10% discount, and as an incentive BF give us a £10 voucher code to use the following year against our crossings - which I normally forget to utilise!

I've done it a few times for friends and family.

The friend can make their own booking as long as they have the Number

I have booked this way for several years , using a friend who lives in France number, even when it was owners abroad

I am looking into whether it is worth my while joining, as My friend passed away two weeks ago

we usually only cross once a year, so probably not worth it. Also I notice the Fast Cat that we like to use from Portsmouth, does not start running untill Mid May, and we cross in April. I have enough Tesco Vouchers for a crossing, but at the end of the day, by the time we drive to Folkestone, from Portsmouth, and back across France to Brittany, not worth the extra time and fuel involved. So looks like slow ferry to Caen this year, for the outward journey

Archived