Brittany Ferries - problem with ferry “Mont St Michel"

Derek Uzzell

Evidently there is a significant problem wth the ferry "Mont St Michel” that will require it being dry-docked soon for repairs.

As far as I can make out, from September 11-onwards, sailings that would normally involve "Mont St Michel” will be affected.

Brittany Ferries should be contacting everybody who have booked a crossing normally carried out by "Mont St Michel” but - with one of the big ferries not operating - it’s to be expected that there will be crowding on the remaining ships.

From what Brittany Ferries told me, while the “Mont St. Michel “ is out of action the intention is to continue to operate the “Normandie Express” fastcraft on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route and to (somehow!) increase the number of daily sailings of the “Normadie” cruise-ferry on the Portsmouth-Caen route.

This time of year there ought to be sufficient capacity in the Brittany Ferries fleet to handle the numbers of cars and people, though the outage could well impact badly on freight travellers.

My ‘paper’ version of the Brittany Ferries 2017/2018 timetable indicates that the “Normandie Express” fast-craft service on the Portsmouth-Cherbourg route commenced on 4 May 2018 and should cease on 11 September 2018. Generally there’s a daily single crossing in each direction, but two crossings per day are reasonably common.

It needs saying that I don’t ‘know’ what Brittany Ferries’s plans are for when Mont St Michel is out of service.

I had intended to return from France on 13 September on the 08:30 crossing that would have involved Mont St Michel. That sailing was shown as available on Wednesday, but when I came to book the ticket yesterday, the crossing’s availability had been removed. I booked for the 08:30 Ouistreham sailing on 14 September (that uses the “Normandie”) instead and then phoned Brittany Ferries to ask what was going on.

Any one interested in following the ferry sailings in and out of Portsmouth Harbour can log on to Queens Harbour Master Portsmouth and follow

SHIPPING MOVEMENTS AND PLANNED DIVING The days sailings are detailed As WEB PAGE or AS PDF. The next days sailings and times are posted at mid day on any day. No long term sailings are provided.

Simply scroll down to check daily sailing times in and out of the harbour. This also provides most of the Navy ships movements ... but are usually unpredictable time wise.

There are also many other rules and abbreviations about harbour rules and movements.

To watch all shipping traffic leaving and entering Portsmouth Harbour use the Portsmouth Harbour Web Cam.

Another path to follow is the Ryde IOW Web Cam. This has a continuous running Solent wide tracking system covering a wide angle of the Solent Waters from the 2 forts in the east to the entrance to Southampton Water in the west. The Web Cam follows the same path all day which can be 'stilled' for your convenience.

The IOW web Cam details all moving traffic from small craft to large container and ocean going passenger ships. Most are identified and can be zoomed in with full pictures. Its a very busy tidal waterway. The harbour itself can be magnified with details of most craft therein.

Archived