Brittany Ferries voucher

Deffheads

Has anyone got a return voucher, Santander/Bilbao to Portsmouth that they will not be using? I am returning to Spain soon to retrieve our motorhome, and don't really want to drive through France. I am assuming it's easy to change name and vehicle details!

I don't think that the Refund Credit Note is transferable to another person.

This is the information on the BF website FAQs

"How do I redeem my voucher (Refund Credit Note)?

Your voucher can be redeemed online during the booking process. It’s important to note that only one voucher per booking can be redeemed online. If you have more than one voucher and wish to book a return sailing, please book two one-way sailings and use one voucher for each."

Looks like only the original ticket purchaser can spend the RCN.

But others may know more.

The following link

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/terms/general-ferry-booking-terms

says

The travel voucher is valid for a limited time and cannot be converted into cash. The voucher, which is non-transferable, will be issued in the Lead passenger name on the booking. Please see additional terms and conditions on the voucher.

I would have assumed that a ‘cancellation’ refund travel voucher that any company issues (and there are plenty of companies doing this at the moment, not just Brittany Ferries) would be usable solely by the customer that was affected by the cancelled service and not be transferable to anyone else.

Derek Uzzell - 2020-05-27 5:27 PM

I would have assumed that a ‘cancellation’ refund travel voucher that any company issues (and there are plenty of companies doing this at the moment, not just Brittany Ferries) would be usable solely by the customer that was affected by the cancelled service and not be transferable to anyone else.

I agree and would expect it to be ‘not transferable’. But it does make you think, doesn’t it? If this had been a cash refund (to which everyone is entitled) the proceeds would be transferable. So, why do companies put these unnecessary restrictions on vouchers? Because it suits them to benefit from the inevitable percentage who will never redeem the vouchers within the limited timescale. And why should the timescale be limited either?

It appears to be reasonably common for companies currently issuing refumd travel vouchers to set a ‘validity date’ at which point, if the holder of the voucher has not used it to rebook, a cash refund is given.

It does not seem to be known quite what the Brittany Ferries stance is, but this 6 May article (that I can’t read in its entirety for free)

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brittany-Ferries-and-refunds-for-cancelled-trips

suggests that a cash refund may be available if a customer demands it or (perhaps?) when a BF voucher’s 2-year validity period expires.

I've recently been in the position of having a Brittany Ferries voucher for a cancelled sailing that I did not want. Although Brittany Ferries were initially insistent that the voucher was the only option they now have on their website an option on the Contact us page to request a refund for a voucher that is not required.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/contact/form

In the reason for contact option drop down list you can select:

My sailing is cancelled, I’d like an alternative to a refund credit

I've done this for the two vouchers I had. I've not had the refund yet (it's been about a week), but I know someone who applied earlier who has received a refund.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2020-05-27 1:35 PM

The following link

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/terms/general-ferry-booking-terms

says

The travel voucher is valid for a limited time and cannot be converted into cash. The voucher, which is non-transferable, will be issued in the Lead passenger name on the booking. Please see additional terms and conditions on the voucher.

When they cancelled my ferry for late April......they said my voucher was valid for 2 years B-) ......

Which seems like fair doo's for me ;-) .......

Or should that be "Fare doo's" :D..........

There have been several forum discussions about the Brittany Ferries (BF) policy relating to their cancellation of services, but this thread summarised the position in late-April/early-May.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Caravan-Motorhome-Club-Ferry-Cancelation/55002/

As far as I’m aware, if a traveller affected by the cancellations chooses to accept a BF ‘refund credit note’ instead of a refund in cash, the traveller receives no obvious benefit in doing so. And - unless a cash refund is made automatically to a traveller when an unused BF refund credit note’s validity period expires - the traveller will lose out financially if the voucher is not redeemed. Increasing the voucher’s standard one-year validity period to two years just provides BF with the opportunity to hang on to a traveller’s money twice as long as normal.

As it now seems possible to have a refund in cash substituted for an already-issued BF refund credit note, it must be simple common sense to seek to do this. It would be another matter if there were ‘inducements’ to accept a refund credit note rather than a cash refund (eg. if the BF credit note were worth more than the cost of the original (subsequently cancelled) booking, or holders of credit notes were given priority treatment when booking during the next two years) but I’m not aware that this is the case. Brittany Feriries might go to the wall (unlikely but possible), or close certain routes, or increase their prices dramatically, and a traveller’s personal circumstances could certainly change (like they might die) - so better to grab the cash while one can.

1622186529_moneyinhand.jpg.037f3c10c8b88ab1d5f408390e19394f.jpg

I have again chased M&CC this morning advising that I want money rather than a voucher and they have undertaken to try again. So far I have had nothing in writing at all, voucher or cash.

I will update when there are developments

here's hoping!

Bob

Archived