Brittany ferries rip off,

fesspark

Hi everyone,returned early from Spain lost35 days due to the virus and as I had to rebook a ferry to get home before lockdown,the ferry company not only Charged me a lot more than my original return tkt cost but also charged me for ordering it by phone as the lines on the internet where not working,and also kept my refund for the extra original booking and gave me a voucher which I do not intend to use as I will never travel with them again also as my travelclub account had closed before I could renew it they again charged me £25 extra for using the phone,and their website would not recognise my logging in password,which turned out to be correct,any one else had this problem/ Fesspark

Unbelievable.

My 12 month wallet with Eurotunnel with the balance of 4 returns expiring before The end of my 12 month period, in July.

I sent an email and received the response within 3 days saying they would extend by 3 months.

I’m pleased with the response and the speed in which they replied.

With my business we at no extra cost picked our customers up from whatever airport they returned to at no extra.

It’s a hopefully once in a lifetime experience and everyone should bend over backwards to help in these horrible times and not take financial advantage.

Hopefully your safely home and looking forward to your next trip, Not on Brittany Ferries.

Den

Well I have been travelling with Brittany Ferries regularly making 3 or more trips a year since 2004 often having to change and cancel a booking and accept if changing to a more expensive crossing to pay more I've never had a refund as always happy to have it credited to next booking there by saving any cancellation fees. They have always notified me well in advance that my subscription to Club Voyage is due So we've always found them to be very helpful and fair with all dealings. Now with the 3 ticket options you may have to be a little careful when booking if you think there's any chance you'll cancel or amend a booking

Witzend thanks for replying, I have been with Brittany ferries for nearly 40 years,as my wife is 85 this year and I am 81 I think foreign travel is a no go after this catastrophe,I have found them good in the past but they are under pressure now and they are showing their colours,fesspark

Information on changing a Brittany Ferries ferry booking can be found here

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/how-can-i-change-my-ferry-booking

As far as I can make out what Robert was charged was what one would anticipate.

As Witzend has said Brittany Ferries do warn Club Voyage members well in advance of when their renewal payment is due.

(In 2012 I was scheduled for a left-knee replacement operation and, as this would stop me driving for 6 weeks, we decided on a 10-day trip to France (travelling with Brittany Ferries) before the operation took place. This was a calculated risk and, sure enough, within 5 days of reaching France my knee started playing up. As my wife does not drive our motorhome I decided to head back to the UK without delay.

Having reached Ouistreham I visited the Brittany Ferries reception desk, limping on a crutch (more for show than necessity!) and was charged extra for the more expensive crossing and an amendment fee - but I expected that to happen.)

My experience with BF when there was a problem at Santander was an example of excellent customer care. They gave a refund in cash for the full outbound fare while we were still on board and dropped us off at Roscoff, allowing us to spend the night on the ship while it was docked. They kept us informed all the way through.

Hi, I have a trip booked to the Hook with Stenna Line the end of June, hopefully to see the MotoGP at Assen with a drive to Le Mans for the classic the following weekend. I have checked the Stenna website and they are offering rebooking with no extra fee or a full refund. I have booked through the CaMC paying just a deposit and am due to pay the balance middle of April. I will pay the balance and keep my fingers crossed that the virus is under control and travel restrictions are lifted.

Regards David

This was a long time ago (10 years?) but, when diesel fuel was extremely difficult to obtain throughout France due to industrial action, we cut short a holiday, came back to Ouistreham and asked Brittany Ferries to book us on to the next ship returning to the UK.

There was some muttering about this, as we had bought the tickets via the Motorhome Ticket Club that used to arrange discounted fares. We were told that, as we had not booked directly with Brittany Ferries, if we wanted to make changes, we should really do this through the Motorhome Ticket Club. However, as the French fuel shortages were well recognised, they would make an exception and alllow the change to be made. As the ferries had plenty of room on them at the time, I think Brittany Ferries staff couldn’t be bothered with the paperwork - they said “Join the queue” and no payment was demanded.

(I just mention this in case booking via the C&MC complicates making booking amendments.)

Derek I think you are missing the point here,The ferry I had booked to return home in April was cancelled by

brit ferries,the reason I had to phone to rebook was that the club were not accepting booking on the internet at the time, I tried for 3 days to rebook by phone before I got through I managed to get on the very last ferry that they had from northern France,and they charged me highly and no Refunds in money only credit, I am sure this is illegal I will be fighting this Fesspark

Brittany Ferries T&Cs – Cancellations and Refunds

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/terms/general-ferry-booking-terms

I think that as I read it you cancelled your original crossing and booked a new crossing in order to return to the UK as per uk.gov advice.

If Brittany Ferries had cancelled your crossing then I think this section of the T&Cs would have applied . . .

“(iii) Re-routing and reimbursement in the event of cancelled or delayed departures

Where a sailing is delayed for more than 90 minutes or cancelled we will provide you the choice of either, a specific re-routing option to your final destination as set out in your transport contract at the earliest opportunity at no additional charge; or re-imbursement of the price that was paid for transport contract within 7 days”.

. . . and you could have claimed a full refund.

However if you cancelled the crossing then I think that this section of the T&Cs applies . . .

“Application for any refund must be made within 4 weeks of the return travel date. Promotional fares (Including Spanish mini cruises and 24 hour returns) fares are non-refundable.

Refunds are based on the following scale

Period of notice given before first scheduled departure, Cancellation Charge,Refund of balance

Over 46 days, Deposit + amendment fees + service charges, By method of payment

6 - 46 days, Deposit + amendment fees + service charges, As a travel voucher

0 - 5 days, 100% booking value, N/A

The travel voucher is valid for a limited time and cannot be converted into cash. The voucher, which is non-transferable, will be issued in the Lead passenger name on the booking. Please see additional terms and conditions on the voucher.”

. . . which seems to be what has happened in your case.

Given the difficult circumstances I’m surprised that Brittany were not more accommodating with regard to the voucher/refund issue of the original booking especially if you explained the circumstances when you telephoned. I suspect that you were simply dealing with call centre staff who are required to follow prescribed rules. It might be worth escalating in writing although if it’s not your intention to use Brittany again (you wrote that you would not be using the travel voucher) I’m not sure that they’ve anything to lose by declining to change their stance.

I’m sure Robert would have been on the phone to a Brittany Ferries (French?) call centre and the fact that his Club Voyage membership had been allowed to expire probably won’t have helped either.

I agree with Brian - write to Brittany Ferries, explain the circumstances emphasising that their cancellation of the originally booked crossing in April made it necessary to return to the UK before all their passenger-carrying services ceased.

Say that, due to personal circumstances, it may not be possible to use the travel voucher (valid for a limited time) in the foreseeable future and ask if they will provide a monetary refund instead.

Brittany Ferries wiil know that Robert has been a Club Voyage member and a regular traveller with them, so a carefully worded non-confrontational letter (not an email) might well produce a goodwill gesture. If it doesn’t, write again.

Hi

Following on from my post a couple of weeks ago regarding refund of cancelled ferry booking I have this morning heard from the M&CC through whom we made our booking.We were due to travel this wednesday, Portsmouth - Bilbao, and return 3rd May via Caen -Portsmouth. The e mail states that the first ferry is now cancelled and that the refund will be made via a travel voucher valid for 1 year and the return ferry will be refunded, again by travel voucher, nearer the travel date.

I have informed M&CC that there is no way I will be travelling to either France or Spain in the next 12 months and that i want the refund to go to my credit card- I wait to see what they say.Reading some of the replies to this thread it seems that there is an option for a non travel voucher refund, I shall see what they say.

More in hope than expectation

Keep safe

Bob

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-30 11:23 AM

Brittany Ferries wiil know that Robert has been a Club Voyage member and a regular traveller with them, so a carefully worded non-confrontational letter (not an email) might well produce a goodwill gesture. If it doesn’t, write again.

Agree with all of this except the ‘no email’ suggestion. I’d recommend email for a number of reasons:

1) it’s easier than a letter to send

2) most organisations are now better set up for emails than letters

3) it’s more hygienic than a letter (for the sender, the collector, the sorter, the postman, the receiver)

4) you know that it has arrived

5) it’s easier to reply to

6) it’s quicker

7) etc etc

fesspark - 2020-03-30 10:03 AM

Derek I think you are missing the point here,The ferry I had booked to return home in April was cancelled by

brit ferries,the reason I had to phone to rebook was that the club were not accepting booking on the internet at the time, I tried for 3 days to rebook by phone before I got through I managed to get on the very last ferry that they had from northern France,and they charged me highly and no Refunds in money only credit, I am sure this is illegal I will be fighting this Fesspark

If your first cancelled booking was thru the club BF wouldn't recognise it as yours. When you phoned them you where making a new booking with BF. Any refund for the first cancelled booking should come from the Club who you booked with not BF

crocs - 2020-03-30 2:15 PM

Agree with all of this except the ‘no email’ suggestion. I’d recommend email for a number of reasons:

3) it’s more hygienic than a letter (for the sender, the collector, the sorter, the postman, the receiver)

6) it’s quicker

7) etc etc

Brittany Ferries offers three options for making complaints, as explained on this webpage

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/customerservice

I accept that sending an email is easier (and cheaper) than writing a letter and - at the moment - safer health-wise. However, there’s no way of being sure that an email has been received unless the sender and recipient have a ’trusted email’ system - and even when an email does arrive at its intended destination it’s easy for the recipient to ignore it or for it to go astray.

A written letter has ‘weight’ - it suggests that the writer has made some effort and (hopefully) a letter will encourage a measured response. An email (especially a short one) may suggest that the sender can’t be bothered and the response may be similarly abbreviated.

Robert can complain to BF by email if he so chooses and, if the response does not satisfy him, follow up as BF suggests

If you are not happy with the way your correspondence has been handled, or with the response you receive, you should request that it be passed to the manager of the relevant department, at the same address.

fesspark - 2020-03-29 2:21 PM

Hi everyone,returned early from Spain lost35 days due to the virus and as I had to rebook a ferry to get home before lockdown,the ferry company not only Charged me a lot more than my original return tkt cost but also charged me for ordering it by phone as the lines on the internet where not working,and also kept my refund for the extra original booking and gave me a voucher which I do not intend to use as I will never travel with them again also as my travelclub account had closed before I could renew it they again charged me £25 extra for using the phone,and their website would not recognise my logging in password,which turned out to be correct,any one else had this problem/ Fesspark

Have always found BF to be good communicators, and have just renewed my French card, having had notification of this falling due three weeks or so go. I took the view that whilst the ferries were not working currently, it was still better value in the hope of using it later in the year, but even if not to stop the card for a few months then have to pay the rejoining fee didn't make sense.

Why don't you message them with your complaint and hopefully they will see that maybe they were not quite correct at the time. I guess they will be some time in replying though given the current state of travel arrangements.

When the dust settles I may get in touch with then over my renewal and perhaps ask for them to extent it, as we were planning a trip over in April this year...

Derek Uzzell - 2020-03-31 8:59 AM

crocs - 2020-03-30 2:15 PM

6) it’s quicker

7) etc etc

Brittany Ferries offers three options for making complaints, as explained on this webpage

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/customerservice

I accept that sending an email is easier (and cheaper) than writing a letter and - at the moment - safer health-wise. However, there’s no way of being sure that an email has been received unless the sender and recipient have a ’trusted email’ system - and even when an email does arrive at its intended destination it’s easy for the recipient to ignore it or for it to go astray.

A written letter has ‘weight’ - it suggests that the writer has made some effort and (hopefully) a letter will encourage a measured response. An email (especially a short one) may suggest that the sender can’t be bothered and the response may be similarly abbreviated.

Robert can complain to BF by email if he so chooses and, if the response does not satisfy him, follow up as BF suggests

If you are not happy with the way your correspondence has been handled, or with the response you receive, you should request that it be passed to the manager of the relevant department, at the same address.

We’ll just need to agree to disagree on a letter giving more ‘weight’ (unless the recipient happens to be of your and my generation). Letters in business today are the exception rather than the rule.

Hi. I had the same basically when i cancelled for the 21st April. Gave me a £190 voucher to use before 03/2022. Could be worse i suppose but have lost a fair bit tho on original booking. Think they should give a full refund really seeing that it is not the customers fault.

Keith T - 2020-03-31 12:16 PM

...When the dust settles I may get in touch with then over my renewal and perhaps ask for them to extent it, as we were planning a trip over in April this year...

I emailed Brittany Ferries (BF) on 31 March enquiring whether the period of my Club Voyage membership (that I had just renewed and that would expire on 31 March 2021) could be extended as a goodwill gesture as it was not possible for me to travel with BF as their passenger-carrying services had been suspended until 22 April 2020 with no certainty that they would actually resume immediately after that. I had a nice response saying that extensions to memberships were one of a variety of options BF were discussing.

Today I received by email the April 2020 Club Voyage newsletter that includes the following information:

In recent days, we’ve received many messages of thanks and understanding from members, which have helped enormously. It makes a huge difference to our teams, who are currently working tirelessly to support, as best as they can, customers who have been affected.

We also know that the temporary suspension of our services may have impacted your travel plans and your Club Voyage benefits, so we want to give something back. We have therefore automatically extended your Club Voyage membership by 2 months as a thank you for your continued support.

I’ve checked my Club Voyage account details and, sure enough, these now show a membership expiry date of 31 May 2021.

Derek,now i will put you in the picture,what a lot of rubbish, 2 months extension.? How about this then, My original booking was for a return trip to France at the cost of £245.00.Due to my health and the fact that we were advised to rebook our travel arrangements home on the 11th Mar.I tried to cancel the 5th April ferry and rebook, The return ferry for 5th april was cancelled any way. The Ferry company have taken£752.00 from my account compared with the £245,I paid.originally,I eventually booked a ferry for the 18th Mar which ironically was the last one they sailed. they have given me a credit note for £140.00 you are kidding Mr Brittany ferries. Fesspark.

Archived