Bugs in my sleeping bag.

BML

Camping last week I found myself with a dozen or so insect bites which I assume were from invaders within my sleeping bag. Could someone please offer me advice on how to eliminate them.

While I’m on line I would also request advice on fumigating my camper. Are then any candle type devices?

When we bought our current van we suffered from biting insects. Apparently the previous owner (on whose behalf the dealer was selling it) had a dog.

I used a greenhouse smoke cone in the van then ventilated it thoroughly to get rid of the fumes (as one would with a greenhouse).

No problems in the 9+ years since.

BML - 2021-09-16 9:35 PM

Camping last week I found myself with a dozen or so insect bites which I assume were from invaders within my sleeping bag. Could someone please offer me advice on how to eliminate them.

While I’m on line I would also request advice on fumigating my camper. Are then any candle type devices?

Never Assume!

A little more information might help narrow down the culprit(s)

Where were you camping? On what part of your body were the bites? Did you see any types of critters? How long have you owned the van? Do you have any pets? Where do you store the sleeping bag when not in use?

Jeremy

Like Jeremy, I question your assumption. I live in rural surroundings and have in the past had between 20 and 30 insect bites distributed over my body from the neck down. Other lesser attacks have occured, and they are not related to use of the MH or sleeping bags. We do not have any pets, but there are various species of wild animals in the area.

I have never caught the culprits in action, but my suspicions centre around small black ants and fleas from wild animals.

Alan

Could be harvest mite also called chiggers and lots of other names, they are active at this time of year. They not strictly insects but arachnids ( spiders) they hook on from long grass etc and crawl up your legs to nice soft juicy bits, and that includes your privates!

They itch like mad.

Insecticides don't kill them. Deet helps keep them off, I have found the best preventative is 30% flowers of sulphur mixed in talc dusted around the feet and ankles.

Of course it could be anything, but I thought I would mention chiggers/harvest mite.

H

hallii - 2021-09-18 12:15 PM

Could be harvest mite also called chiggers and lots of other names, they are active at this time of year. They not strictly insects but anachrids ( spiders) they hook on from long grass etc and crawl up your legs to nice soft juicy bits, and that includes your privates!

They itch like mad.

Insecticides dont kill them. Deet helps keep them off, I have found the best preventative is 30% flowers of sulphur mixed in talc dusted around the feet and ankles.

Of course it could be anything, but I thought I would mention chiggers/harvest mite.

H

With cereal crops over the garden fence, I am aware of harvest mites, or thunder bugs. These little beasts cause itching, but do not in my experience cause raised red weals. However they do get everywhere, including inside LCD displays. They are mainly active on warm autumn days, and a former colleague of mine who was suffering from their attacks, renamed them thunder bug___s.

Alan

"Thunderbugs" are Thrips (Thysanoptera) which are indeed Insects, not spiders or bugs.

Very common on humid summer days around harvest time. Most flyscreen meshes do not stop thrips from entering - and they are commonly found inside picture/photoframes.

They are plant feeders, but will "bite" humans, and may cause a rash in some people, but this may be more to do with people scratching than the actual "bite".

They are rarely active after dark.

More detail here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips

Jeremy

An aspect of concern with fumigants not marketed for jobs like this, is some can attack the copper used in electronic equipment PCBs.

What seemed a good idea, worked out an incredibly expensive mistake for one navy, requiring replacing weapon electronic components.

in this part of the world I reckon we have every "bitey" known to man. We certainly experienced our fair share of them on our last trip, From tiny fly through the fly screen size to bigger mozzies that were almost big enough to carry you away. The solution we found best was to close up the MH just on dark & spray good quality insect spray all around. It did not destroy then completely but went close. For personal use we use a local spray on to exposed limbs called Bushmans, it contains 40% deet . Works a treat on the insects. cheers,

Archived