Bundled magazines

aandy

Am I the only one irritated by the practice of bundling "What Motorhome" with "MMM"? If I wanted WM I'd buy it, and I object to being forced either to pay for something I don't want or forego something I do. I know it's only an additional 80 pence, but as a matter of principle I prefer to go without.

I can't imagine that supermarkets would get away with insisting that you buy some item of unsold stock as a condition of purchasing something else, so how is this any different?

After 16 years of MMM i have finally stopped buying it, It is hardly relevant to most motorhomers of today being mainly an advertising vehicle for Very expensive Caravan sites. And mostly European motorhomes are tested these days, with their many shortcomings overlooked as ' normal with a foreign van' not by me. >:-)

Billggski - 2018-08-19 5:41 PM

You must have ticked a box somewhere to subscribe to it, I don't get it with my magazine.

I don't subscribe. I buy monthly from the local newsagent or supermarket (except those months when they are trying to offload surplus copies of WM).

Ray's post reminded me of another irritation, MMM's insistence on quoting site fees as 'from', which as we all know invariably means 'more than'. Sites and other businesses do this in advertisements so as to present the lowest possible price and thereby encourage custom. The purpose of a magazine article or review, however, is not to promote a business but to inform the reader. I really can't see that it would be difficult to quote a price range or even the full pricing structure, rather than just the lowest anyone can ever expect to pay. It would certainly be far more helpful for the reader.

It seems my ire was misdirected. None of the local outlets stocks just MMM when the bundled option is available, so I had assumed that was all there was. I visited a newsagent outside of the local area today and found both on sale, so it is evidently just my local suppliers to blame or, more probably, the wholesaler.

Now if MMM will start listing site prices in their reviews in a way that is helpful to the reader, rather than to the site operator, I might just find myself with nothing to complain about.

......apart from the misleading articles.

Following last month's nonsense about batteries, this month it is the advice that to obtain a C1 licence you need to "use your own doctor", which isn't the best option as they charge a lot, and then send you to an optician for the eye test. Whereas an HGV doctor will do the lot for £55.

They should read their own forum!

And the 'Buyers Guide' of available new motorhomes was useful too, you have to get the opposition 'Practical Motorhome' to get one of those these days.

Less and less of what we need and like, and more and more of what we dont need or want.....Premier very expensive Caravan Sites.

Archived