Burstner ixeoT680g towbar

fesspark

Looking for forum members help to advise me on what the chassis is on my m,home as I do not have a nearby company that fits towbars on motorhomes so I have to explain what type of towbar I need. as it it is too far to take the vehicle to have it assessed for pricing ect;Any help welcomed,fesspark

I believe this model has Fiat’s Ducato ‘camping-car’ chassis (rather than an AL-KO chassis) but photos indicate that, as there’s a fair amount of rear overhang, it may have a chassis rear extension, or need one for a towbar to be fitted.

If you want a realistic price for fitting a tow bar, you really need to have the motorhome inspected. If that’s too difficult I suggest you rethink the idea.

If like mine (Nexxo T690) then Derek is correct in that it is a Ducato campingcar chassis with an extension supporting the garage. This extension is not strong enough to use as an integral part of the towbar and therefore the towbar has to extend from the rear of the vehicle to the Ducato chassis by the rear wheels).

A check of Burstner’s documentation shows that the Ixeo IT680G model was indeed built on a Ducato ‘camping-car’ chassis.

There’s useful information about motorhome towbars here

https://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/type_approved_motorhome_towbars.html

It is (apparently) permissible to add a less expensive ‘non-approved’ towbar to a motorhome that is Type Approved (which fesspark’s Ixeo will be) provided that the towbar is not actually used for towing. However, I think fesspark has in mind to tow a car on a trailer, so an ‘approved’ towbar would be required for doing that.

On the above link, when discussing the potential requirement to use chassis exrensions when installing a towbar, the following advice is given

When fitting these extensions to motorhomes, you may be required to reposition corner steadies, water pipes, tanks or other support brackets or architecture under the vehicle. We will do our best to advise about this but cannot possibly know all variations used by motorhome builders.

This is why a ‘sight unseen’ price-quotation should be treated with caution.

Archived