Butagaz "Le Cube" propane

laimeduck

Can anyone tell me what the situation is like in France at the moment regarding Butagaz Le Cube supplies? Are they readily available? Preferably propane.

My Benimar has one 6Kg Calor propane cylinder and one Butagaz Le Cube, propane.

I have tried, without any success, to replace my nearly empty Calor 6Kg propane cylinder several times over the last year or so. Local stockists (Kent) tell me they haven't had any supplies for months and that Calor are telling them there isn't going to be any in the near future.

(Quite honestly I am fed up to the back teeth with the Calor situation and will probably buy a second Le Cube when we go to France for 6 weeks at the end of May)

I was considering getting pigtails so that I could use a Calor 7Kg Butane Cylinder, but it seems that this is not an easy option because there are no off the shelf fittings to do this. The fixed regulator will cope, but the connections won't.

We stay on sites, so have EHU, so the gas is really only used for cooking which means we are not big users.

Thanks

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2022-05-11 4:30 PM

...I was considering getting pigtails so that I could use a Calor 7Kg Butane Cylinder, but it seems that this is not an easy option because there are no off the shelf fittings to do this. The fixed regulator will cope, but the connections won't...

This should present no great difficulty.

https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/butane-clip-on-adaptor-21mm/1133

(Using the clip-on adapter shown in the advert and a secondary adapter you should be able to 'convert' the pigtail that you've been using with your Calor 6kg propane bottle - but you'd be better off getting a new butane pigtail and just having a single adapter.)

Brian & Derek thank you.

I do not wish to purchase yet another cylinder so I'll give Flogas a miss. If we decide to tour again in the UK, then I may well get the butane adapter & pigtail and use my 7Kg butane cylinder (also used as a heater in the house).

However, I think I will go for another Le Cube propane once in France. It will be much simpler to use without having to swap pigtails, which in my gas locker is a total pain!

I have checked dimensions and can get 2 cubes in my gas locker as long as the one not in use (or empty) is on it's side. According to the Butagaz website this is perfectly acceptable for transport, but the cube must be upright for use.

My original question still stands though?

Are French gas supplies (specifically of Le Cube) OK or are they experiencing difficulties as we are in the UK?

As far as I can make out, there are no reports of problems, but it would be good to hear from someone who has recently bought gas in France.

Thanks

Jeremy

If, as you say, your use is only for cooking, already suggested in another topic, I recommend the three kilo Camping Gaz cylinders.

If you don't go below -4 ° C, butane instead of propane is irrelevant.

Available throughout Europe (see https://www.campingaz.com/gasfinder/?locale=en-US ) and in almost all campsites.

In the UK you just need to get a tap/adapter between the Camping Gaz cylinder and the standard nozzle of british cylinders.

With us (for the Italian standard) it can be found in all motorhome accessories retailers).

If your motorhome is equipped with a 30mbar regulator, you don't have to change it.

With one of these bottles I spent 30 days in Germany (August, cooker and refrigerator).

And it's still not empty yet.

Max

In the past we used La Cube with no problems getting a replacement at many supermarkets all over France but now have a under floor tank which we filled up on way back to the UK at the end of February again no problem filling the tank in France . For us the under floor tank works cheaper gas than Calor but what's not ... B-)

laimeduck - 2022-05-11 4:30 PM

I was considering getting pigtails so that I could use a Calor 7Kg Butane Cylinder, but it seems that this is not an easy option because there are no off the shelf fittings to do this. The fixed regulator will cope, but the connections won't.

Jeremy

If you want to use a Propane pig tail this adaptor will do the job it fits French 10kg propane or butane bottles obtained from Intermarche and your UK propane hose screws into it. I've been using Intermarche gas for the best part of 15 yrs now most of their filling stations have stock some now even have self service outets at the unmanned filling stations

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/propane-pol-to-butane-adaptor.html

also fits UK small butane bottles with the screw outlet

Back to the original question ;-)

Whilst it obviously isn't definitive, as I haven't pushed the button to finally buy, I did a test purchase online at Auchan, and selected a Calais store for pick-up.

I got as far as having it in my "basket" and being invited to pick a timed pick-up slot for it.

https://www.auchan.fr/butagaz-butagaz-bouteille-de-gaz-propane-cube-5kg/pr-C1348404

Patently, it might have become "unavailable" at final payment time, but that would be rather counterintuitive.

You could always run a few tests yourself with different locations (and, if you've reasonably predictable travel plans) possibly reserve one for pick-up somewhere nearer the date.

(Other Supermarché are available).

Robinhood - 2022-05-20 9:27 AM

Back to the original question ;-)

Whilst it obviously isn't definitive, as I haven't pushed the button to finally buy, I did a test purchase online at Auchan, and selected a Calais store for pick-up.

I got as far as having it in my "basket" and being invited to pick a timed pick-up slot for it.

https://www.auchan.fr/butagaz-butagaz-bouteille-de-gaz-propane-cube-5kg/pr-C1348404

Thanks Robin

I too have done similar with the same results.

We have a half full Cube in the Benimar, so there's no immediate panic to pre order one.

Now you said " Whilst it obviously isn't definitive, as I haven't pushed the button to finally buy, I did a test purchase online at Auchan, and selected a Calais store for pick-up."

Why don't you "Push that button" and put my name in as the collectee? 31st May, about 10.30 am?

laimeduck - 2022-05-20 11:53 AM

Why don't you "Push that button" and put my name in as the collectee? 31st May, about 10.30 am?

I gladly do it for you.

Just send me a private message with your credit card details or, even better, of your bank account.

Smile, Max

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - no problems at all with gaz in France. I bought another Le Cube propane for €57.90 yesterday (£49.50) and that included a new regulator, at Leclerc in Bergerac - no hassle, the Station Essence chap gave me an address in Bergerac - all done in 5 mins.

Easily installed in gas locker on it's side with the operational one on top.

Calor need to learn a lesson here!

Jeremy

Just one wee thing, Jeremy. It is strongly advised that full gas cylinders (as well as those in use), be stored and carried upright, and never on their side. This advice is also standard in France - 'cause I've just checked! :-) (Surtout, sticker debout!) Suggest you get that not a cube Cube upright as soon as poss! Have fun. :-)

Brian Kirby - 2022-06-04 11:25 AM

Just one wee thing, Jeremy. It is strongly advised that full gas cylinders (as well as those in use), be stored and carried upright, and never on their side. This advice is also standard in France - 'cause I've just checked! :-) (Surtout, sticker debout!) Suggest you get that not a cube Cube upright as soon as poss! Have fun. :-)

Brian that is not what the Butagaz site says? As I remember it was in their Q & A. It specifically says that for transport purposes the cube can be transported on its side but that for use it must be upright. I did mention that I had checked this earlier in this thread

Jeremy

Interesting. It would be equally interesting to know why, as I understood that the principal reason was that the valve seals on the top of the cylinder were somehow degraded by contact with the liquid gas.

It also depends somewhat on what is meant by "transport". From the shop to home, so short term, maybe?

But, if I correctly understand Jeremy, what he is doing is more akin to storing the Cube on its side. Do they also suggest that the Cubes can safely be kept on their sides for extended periods? My searches were on the basis of storage, and not transportation.

Not trying to rain on Jeremy's parade, but that advice is so widespread it is either uncorroborated gas cylinder folklore handed down from generation to generation, or there is due cause for issuing it. If the latter, I would assume there may be undesirable, and possibly unwelcome, consequences if the cylinder is maintained in a horizontal, in lieu of vertical, position. Anyone know?

...I think it is associated with the potential to eject LPG in it's fluid state should the valve fail, rather than the gaseous state that would emanate from an 80% filled bottle with the valve at the top.

We all know that this is critical when using the bottle connected (liquid gas supplied through to the appliances is definitely something you don't want) but I also understand the effects of directly leaking liquid, rather than gas, are somewhat less desirable (due, presumably to the rapid expansion when it reaches atmospheric pressure).

Brian worry not old chap! The plan is to run the active cylinder down until its empty then change them over so the empty cube is on its side. Then run it down to about 1kg gas left then purchase new cylinder then replace. So the full will not be on its side for a huge amount of time.

If its wrong, I'll send a reply from Mars, but I am content to rely on butagaz site. If they were concerned at all, surely they would simply say don't do it?

Jeremy

Well, you'd think so, wouldn't you? I know they insist that their steel cylinders are stored and transported upright, so it seems this is limited to the Cubes. Maybe different materials? I believe it has a "clip" type connector, so maybe that type of connector overcomes the (presumed) problems should the more normal screw down valve? I've been searching the web for answers, and can't find anything more informative than "don't do this", with no-one saying (I the case of cylinders/bottles as opposed to tanks) why. Seems its a trade secret! :-) Enjoy your travels.

The transportation of LPG bottles on their sides issue.

I think underpinning the general recommendation to be vertical is to avoid liquid venting through the over pressure relief valve, which then expands out, with propane to a volume of gas 270 times that liquid spat out.

Realistically, there has to be a cause for over pressurisation; basically, getting hot.

A quick trip from a retailer to where you keep the bottle, probably presents a miniscule risk from overheating.

Using the bottle, our vapour take off type, other than upright is hugely dangerous, but is not the issue contemplated here.

Archived