Button On My Dash

paid2travel

I have to say that I don't think it's the correct answer, but it has been common for Hymer group vans to have an additional override switch fitted for the radio in that general area. (I've also seen it on other converter's 'vans). There is no "acc" position on the Ducato ignition switch, and without some additional wiring and non-standard installation, the radio won't work without the ignition on.

It is, however, commonly a simple on/off rocker switch which yours doesn't appear to be.

(On mine, the default position powers the radio on and off with the ignition. Switched to the alternat position, the radio is permanently powered, and connected to the leisure battery - all aided by an additional "Schaudt" box installed behind the dash).

Edited to add:

....or powered habitation step retraction?

OK thanks, I might try to see if there is any wiring going to the button and also play around with it while idling and with ignition on,

I think I read somewhere that it could also be a switch for the rear steps but it doesn't seem to be that either.

Martin

I've just had a look at a few contemporaneous Carados on Mobile.de, and none seem to have such a button, so it's rather likely to be something added post-factory (and rather kills the step idea).

If you didn't fit the double-din stereo/nav, I still think some connection with that is possible.

Yeah, a bit of a strange one. The Sat-Nav system was already installed, I think by the last owner so you could be right.

Just been trying to have a look at dismantling the centre glove compartment but I think I might get better access taking out the panel under the steering column. Getting a bit darkish now so have another look tomorrow.

Mike

I believe you’ll find that the reason there’s the switch on your motorhome’s dashboard is that Rapido (in their infinite wisdom!!!) chose to install a Pioneer radio head-unit intended for vehicles that have (as Robinhood has mentioned earlier) an ‘accessories’ position on their ignition-switch.

Without the dashboard switch the Pioneer radio would either be permanently ‘live’, or not be operable at all. It’s certainly the case that, if the switch is left in its ‘On’ position, the Pioneer radio will take 12V power and, eventually run down the battery that feeds it, but the underlying reason for the switch’s presence is because Rapido has fitted a radio that’s unsuitable for a Ducato motorhome.

The same Pioneer radio was used by Pilote but, instead of the dashboard switch, the Pilote motorhome’s main control-panel needed to be switched off to turn off the radio. This approach is even more bloody-minded than Rapido’s dashboard switch and, in fact, some Rapido models also require the control-panel to be switched on for the radio to function. (There' s a throw-away reference to turning on the radio right at the end of my Rapido User Manual.)

paid2travel - 2020-07-02 9:32 PM

Yeah, a bit of a strange one. The Sat-Nav system was already installed, I think by the last owner so you could be right.

Just been trying to have a look at dismantling the centre glove compartment but I think I might get better access taking out the panel under the steering column. Getting a bit darkish now so have another look tomorrow.

You may find that accessing the rear of your mysterious switch is best done by temporarily removing the instrument-cluster.

This is a relatively easy and quick task and - when I was adding a matching switch to my Rapido's dashboard to turn on supplementary LED lighting to improve instrument daylight readability - was how I did it.

Removal guidance here

https://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/instructions/Fiat/C120_C1179_C1181_etc_8329-8332_Fiat_Ducato_etc.pdf

Archived