Buy brand new justnow or wait for 2 to 3 year old 2nd hand

jimuck

and advice or foresight on whether I should buy a brand new motorhome just now or wait for a newish second hand one?

Good 2nd hand are very rare just now and any are pretty expensive.

Also what might be the pros and cons of buying brand new.

Any advice at all would be great

In principle I’d always buy used, although recognise that balance may have changed if used prices have risen. The benefit of a newish used vans is that the initial snagging problems should have been resolved. You are also likely to get useful extras included, eg awning, bike rack, etc etc. (For most continental vans, don’t forget the basic price bears little resemblance to what most buyers end up paying to get the spec they want.)

Against that, some people value the thought that no one else has slept in the beds, etc, but that’s not an issue for us.

We’ve had 3 vans - 2 used, 1 new - and it was the new one we had by far the most problems with.

Buy new and you might have some snagging but if you buy from a good local dealer, should not be a problem and be robust at handover stage

You'll get a long warranty and breakdown cover included on the base vehicle

Buy 2nd hand and it's a bit more of a gamble. The initial snagging might be sorted but everything will be part worn. You also might be buying someone else's lemon. We px'd our constantly leaking Autotrail with 6 years worth of repairs to a dealer which someone now has!

If you can afford new go for it but above all that choice of layout is the most important thing

Good luck

We bought used first and were looked after very well by the manufacturer, which was Le Voyageur, and then a new Niesmann which at 2 years old now has had all its minor snagging done by Reliance in Chichester, under guarantee. Which ever way you go, I personally would go for quality and durability, over a newer but lower quality van.

Tomorrow is promised to nobody so do it NOW while you have the health and the opportunity.

Buy within budget and think long and hard before taking finance on a luxury item that is not used every day.

Enjoy your time with a van NOW while you can and always keep it affordable.

stevec176 - 2020-08-16 1:54 PM

Buy new and you'll get what you want but buy used and you'll have to accept somebody else's options which you'll have to pay for.

But at least those options will cost a fraction of what they would new, and at least the first owner should have got all the niggles from new resolved so you should be getting a well sorted van barely used at a good discount especially if you buy at a show where discounts seem to be better and the need to sell is stronger at some dealers - what's not to like!

Hi jimuck

This year is unlike many other years, so it's a different set of rules.

IMHO, if you have a very specific model requirement, I would say talk to the dealer & consider placing a "factory" order for delivery early 2021.

If you are looking at new "stock" models or used, then wait until the end of the season, when dealers will be wanting to shift stock (new & used) to free up cashflow over the winter.

Although this option, may result in not being able to get your ideal choice of model.

Warner's Lincoln season finale show can often produce results.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I think because I know exactly the model we want that newish 2nd hand models could be hard to source and probably not much cheaper than new, I will try for the best deal I can get on new. This will probably be our 'forever' van so I am not too concerned about depreciation.

jimuck - 2020-08-16 10:09 PM

I think because I know exactly the model we want that newish 2nd hand models could be hard to source and probably not much cheaper than new, I will try for the best deal I can get on new. This will probably be our 'forever' van so I am not too concerned about depreciation.

Don't take this the wrong way but a significant number of purchasers of their first van get it wrong and the cost of changes is very costly. So I am not saying don't do it what I am saying is do your homework very thoroughly towards prioritising what you are going to use the van for, what capacity for travel seats and beds (they don't necessarily match) you need and especially payload. Manufacturers range from misleading to downright dishonest as regards this. I think (but others can comment) that its a sellers market just now so in a way not a good time to buy but as Richard above says carpe diem. And when you do go to place the order negotiate hard even if it is a sellers market. With no trade in you should get some discount (start at asking for 10%) that may be ridiculous right now but its a starting point. If you are not getting anywhere with discount then try to get free spec upgrades instead e.g. a free awning or 50% off the awning.

When negotiating be consistent and persistent. No matter how much you actually want the van you mental attitude should be "I don't need to buy today from this salesperson there are others". At all times be polite and friendly. And when you think you have got to what you want pause because the salespaerson may through something else in e.g. gas bottles, cable or other accessories just to get the deal over the line.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your purchase.

jimuck - 2020-08-16 10:09 PM

I don't want to burst your bubble, BUT unless you are experienced motorhomers and have used that specific model before for at least one day and night including travelling, using the kitchen, using the beds, using the shower room etc how can you be so sure that it is 'perfect' for you?

After many many years, and I am sure we are not alone, we never did find the 'perfect' van for us - although quite a few came mighty close to ideal with their size/layout compromises!

Act in haste - repent at leisure!!!

Archived