Buying a new Van

ham

Post-Brexit charges https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277

EU retailers sending packages to the UK now need to fill out customs declaration forms. Shoppers may also have to pay customs or VAT charges, depending on the value of the product and where it came from.

However, customs charges are the responsibility of the customer, not the retailer, who often has no idea of how much the eventual extra cost might be.

They cannot be paid in advance and are levied only when the item reaches the UK.

Yes this is for goods inwards.

However

I have been looking at changing my Van and have 3 in the frame from euroland and one in the Uk.

I recently bought some radio equipment from Germany. Only to find I had an extra charge of £54 to pay tax and customs and courier delivery. I questioned this with the German company. As the sale was to include VAT and free delivery which was on the sales invoice sent me. Ah you must pay us the VAT and the courier will charge you for the customs and VAT on delivery into the UK.

I cancelled the order.

I got thinking is this going to happen if I buy a van from within the Euro.

I have asked 2 of the dealers about this and got nowhere, neither had any idea. one did suggest it was possible that I would land up with 2 sets of tax payments…

Confused at least, looks like a rip off. So, it looks like Uk company will have a customer

It used to be commonplace for German motorhome dealers to insist - when a new motorhome was purchased by a UK buyer to be exported to the UK - that VAT be included in the price and paid to the dealer prior to the motorhome being handed over. UK VAT then needed to be paid to HMRC after the motorhome had arrived in the UK and, once that had been done and confirmation sent to the German motorhome dealer, the German dealer refunded the German VAT amount. (This was what happened when I bought a new Hobby motorhome in Germany in 2005.)

The process is described on this gov.uk webpage

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

but the page carries the following caveat

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on importing vehicles now apply. This page is currently out of date.

Apparently one of the government statements is the change has beeen put into place due to some companys taking the Vat and keeping it.

So now they have to be Vat registered in the uk???.Or the goods are sold as export and are liable to customs and VAT on entry into the UK

Derek Uzzell - 2021-01-21 6:04 PM

It used to be commonplace for German motorhome dealers to insist - when a new motorhome was purchased by a UK buyer to be exported to the UK - that VAT be included in the price and paid to the dealer prior to the motorhome being handed over. UK VAT then needed to be paid to HMRC after the motorhome had arrived in the UK and, once that had been done and confirmation sent to the German motorhome dealer, the German dealer refunded the German VAT amount. (This was what happened when I bought a new Hobby motorhome in Germany in 2005.)

This is the process that applied last May (2020). I imported, new, from Germany. I paid the German price inclusive of the VAT (19%). Upon arrival in the UK, the first thing to be done was to pay the (20%) UK VAT and get a receipt. This receipt was sent to the German dealer who then, within a week, refunded the original 19%VAT.

As I understand it, vehicles purchased new in a 'Continental-European’ EU country for export to the UK could be bought VAT-ex, with VAT only being paid when the vehicle arrived in the UK.

However, as a result of a major fraud by a UK company where the UK’s HMRC had not received the VAT due on a significant number of imported cars and then bounced the VAT cost back to the German vendors, German motorhome dealers generally chose to protect thenselves from this risk by insisting that motorhomes for export to the UK be sold VAT-inc.

This 2014 forum discussion (VAT on Motorhomes bought in France or Germany)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/VAT-on-Motorhomes-bought-in-France-or-Germany/36198/

mentioned that purchasing a new motorhome VAT-ex from some Continental European countries was practicable and that not all German dealers wouid insist on a VAT-inc sale.

The pre-BREXIT vehicle importing procedure is described here

https://www.dvla-contact-number.co.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/

but (as I highlighted in my previous posting) guidance on the gov.uk wedpage suggests that the historical procedure may have changed since 31 December 2020.

Assuming (and it’s a big assume) that from now on buying a new motorhome from an EU country and importing it to the UK will be akin to buying a new RV in the USA and importing it to the UK, as well as having to pay UK VAT at 20%, import duty of 10% may also be payable.

The DVLA’s INF106 document

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf106-how-to-import-a-vehicle-into-the-united-kingdom-uk

pre-dates Brexit but (presumably) will be updated at some stage, as will the gov.uk guidance.

That's the impression I am getting . The rules have changed to Non EU importation.

One statement by the treasury office was the rules had to change as importers where charging VAT but not passing it on to the UK.

Now they have to register

There’s a longish article in the February 2021 issue of “Which?” magazine that includes a warning that UK buyers of products marketed by EU sellers might face surcharges on the advertised prices.

However, vehicles were always a ‘special case’ when it came to purchasing within the EU and there’s a big difference between buying on-line a €200 handbag from a French vendor and purchasing a new €70,000 motorhome from a German dealership for export to the UK.

Archived