Buying new

Guest Bill H

Thought some of you would like to know. Just ordered a new Rapido 986M R/H from a UK supplier. Did all my homework. Thanks to Derek, Clive and others for various info over past weeks. Considered buying on the continent but decided here for whatever reason. At 76 yrs I couldn't put up with the hassle, perhaps 20 years ago I would have loved it. Delivery next June 2006. There's an interesting combination of assessories and reasons for buying but it should fullfill our needs. 2 large beds, somewhere to wash, somewhere to eat, somewere to sit. The best within the weight and space I have. Went to the show with a Hymer in mind and previously had considered an empty van to convert as the best option. I'm very particular and legal minded so when it arrives the first move will be the local weighbridge to see whats left over. I shall still keep my T5 and go hoteling and wandering down leafy lanes which the 'biggies' are incapable of but steam and vehicle rallies are the primary aim. PS. I don't intend to exchange it Bill

Bill Good for you! Enjoy it, mate. What part of the country do you rally in? We attend steam/transport rallies in the south east. With classic motorbikes. May see you at one in your new Rapido! Regards Neal

Neal. Live in Copthorne. Member of HH and assist at the Ardingly show, (read my articles in their Newsletter) Ride old bicycles. Member of the VMCC also the VCC and SCHVC. Go to International doo's anywhere. Member of Beaulieu Museum. Member of Friends of Canberra Cycle Museum. Was a USA Wheelman member (old bikes) Been all over the world with them. Also collect beer cans as an interest (I hate beer) Been to their 'Canvention' shows in the US. Been to many Motoring shows in the US (Hershey) etc several times renting a Motorhome. Driven all over the US, OZ and NZ. Just retired at 76. Am now making some Hobby Horses, that's the 1819 Velocipede with no pedals or brakes. With a likewise group we ride them around English Country Houses, Palaces and Castles, decked out in costume its great but sore on the bum (no springs). Just had the 'ol heart modified with a stent up the artery so thought its about time I went for a Motorhome to stay over at some of the events. (I'm working on the next 20 years) Want any more! Bill.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Bill: Congratulations, I'm confident you've made a wise choice and it sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun with the Rapido. Having been a bit prophet-of-doomish about the available payload of 3500kg French A-Class motorhomes I'll be interested to learn what your weighbridge visit reveals. When you weigh the Rapido it would be a good idea to obtain individual axle-weights as well as the overall weight. It's probable that the vehicle's handbooks will recommend tyre pressures appropriate to the 3800kg chassis and these might produce an over-firm ride as you'll be running the 'van several 100 kilograms below that weight. Having said that, I note that Michelin's technical guide suggests 44psi(F) and 65psi(R) for the Mercedes chassis on which the 986M is built - pressures that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Anyway, if you do obtain axle-weights and you feel it would be worthwhile subsequently to seek advice about tyre pressures, you'll have accurate data to hand.

Derek. Yes I'll be pretty vigorous about the weights and tyre pressures. I'll make a note of your comments for the future. On my recent T5 it was a hard ride and checking the pressures I found that they were above maximum for a heavy load and I was just one. I must again say thanks to everyone for the various info input, it enabled me to approach the purchase knowing (quite often) more than the seller (who had to look up the info). I asked about a Rapido factory visit, The reply was much the same as in the UK now. Everyone is safety consious and frightened of insurance claims so that's probably not on. Gone are the days when everyone helped each other for a better result ! Till June then, Bill

Blimey Bill, you're out of my league mate! I just take a couple of classic bikes to the rallies for a relaxing weekend (on the cheap!). I haven't made a career out of it!! And about that Hobby Horse; they rode them in 1819 because they didn't know any better! Since then saddles, pedals, and brakes have been invented. Mind you... the same thought process could be applied to the British motorcycle industry, that's why there aren't any left! Anyway, we're changing our holiday profile next year so we might make Ardingly. Have you got a contact number for entries? Regards Neal

Guest Derek Uzzell
Bill: If you want a factory visit you might find this could be arranged via the Rapido Caravan Club (contact details on MMM's "Clubs for Motorcaravanners" page). Alternatively (once they know you're a bona fide Rapido customer), you could try contacting the factory direct and see how they feel.

Neal, If you are email friendly here's mine and I'll send you all the info. If not we'll go again. billhaylor2@sagainternet.co.uk Regarding my interests, I have been around an awful long time and have always been into things engineering. I worked on aircraft, space research, atomic weapons, and it goes on and on, sorry about all that, I'm still green when it comes to Motorhomes, but learning slowly. I only hope I survive it all. I have a policy "never stop doing things" Derek thanks, I'll try them. Bill

Archived