C1 medical

HarveyHeaven

Hi Guys, my hubby is 70 in April and can apply for his new licence 90 days before his birthday which he could do next week. He phoned the GP this morniing to see if he could have a medical but they say not for at least a month because of Covid vaccination programme. He suffers from high blood pressure which is under control and he also has early stage heart failure. We thought even if he gets a private medical done the DVLA might want information from his GP, thus, we thought it would be quicker to get the medical from the GP....now we're not too sure what to do. We want to tootle off to Spain at the first opportunity, I used Doctors on wheels 2 years ago when I had mine done at 70 but I don't have any medical issues....I shall use another private provider for my medical 90 days before mine new licence is due...can any one recommend a private provider, please?

I used D2d For my medical during lockdown ..took a while to get Appointment due to restrictions.

You will find a delay with DVLA.

Thier offices in Swansea have an outbreak of covid amongst staff at all thier office locations.

With many staff isolating or off with covid.

ham - 2021-01-10 12:31 PM

I used D2d For my medical during lockdown ..took a while to get Appointment due to restrictions.

You will find a delay with DVLA.

Thier offices in Swansea have an outbreak of covid amongst staff at all thier office locations.

With many staff isolating or off with covid.

Do you mean D4Drivers Which is who I used ?

Oops Yes. I have used them twice once in Cardiff then last year Newport.

When i get the forms delivered.

I book an eye test with local optician they fill in thier part of the form ,And any new glasses are supplied at same appointment .Then off for Medlical.if Medical ok .,form is posted same day to DVLA .

Took 2 months for licence to come back

Other than convenience I can't see the advantage of using a private medical service to get the necessary documentation for a C1 licence. After all they don't have access to your medical history or records, so presumably the doctors base their assessment on what is presented to them on the day plus what they are told regarding the patients history.

If that is the case then it is a thoroughly dodgy arrangement and could result in unfit drivers being granted a C1 license which is in nobody's interest - other than the paying patient's.

Steve H - 2021-01-10 9:36 PM

Other than convenience I can't see the advantage of using a private medical service to get the necessary documentation for a C1 licence.

A large percentage of Hauliers use private medical centres for convenience and cost they are at least half the price of most doctors many of which will send you to a optician for the eye test so added cost where as the centres are equipped

Leaving aside the cost and convenience benefits mentioned by witzend, the COVID-19 pandemic makes it likely that a motorcaravanner wishing to renew a C1 driving-licence entitlement may find it very difficult to schedule appointments with GPs and opticians. (In the original posting Pauline mentions a minimum one-month wait for a GP appointment.)

Also In the original posting Pauline mentioned the “Doctors on Wheels” company. This 2019 link suggests that there is oversight of the standard of work performed by private driver-medicals companies.

https://www.rha.uk.net/news/press-releases/2019-06-june/dvla-says-no-to-doctors-on-wheels-medicals

Archived