CAB RADIO

Guest Mick t

Can anybody suggest a replacement for the rubber duck type aerial fitted to the wing side. It seems to be more than useless. I am thinking of a direct replacement of the type that extends, but so far have been unable to find one. Tried Halfords ect.Any help of where to buy appreciated

Guest Derek Uzzell
Not sure what a rubber duck type aerial is, but traditional extending aerials (manual or motorised) are advertised on www.raysmith.co.uk

Guest Brian Ramsden
I recently replaced my aerial - one of the short black rod type fitted on the wing - with a similar type but with an aerial preamplifier incorporated in the base. This was a dramatic improvement. I can't help regarding source of supply, as a local firm supplied and fitted it. This was because I couldn't find anything suitable at Halfords or the like. Brian

Many thanks Derek and Brian.By rubber duck i mean the type that is fixed to the side if the wing floppy about 15inches long.Brian was your amplified one a side fixing as i do not wish to go down the road of drilling more holes.

Chaps I don't wish to be disrespectful but unless you are after a car air freshner or some polish I wouldn't bother going to Halfords! If you want a choice of quality aerials then look up car radio fitters in Yellow Pages and try them. Regards Neal

Guest Brian Ramsden
Yours sounds like the one I have. My problem was compounded by the need to get one that fitted the same hole, which is also your problem. As Neal says, look in yellow pages - this is how I got mine installed and fitted for the same price as some of the aerials in Halfords. Brian

If you don,t actually need a retracting antenna then don,t get one. Visit the local taxi firm and see if they have any VHF taxi antenna kicking about. Alternatively go to a ham Radio rally and pick them up. I got a pile of a PMR engineer who was stripping a load out of some service vans as the company had not bid low enough to get the contract for another year, he put the lot in the skip - complete with radio's and speakers. I was stood behind him! Work the rest out for yourself!

We too have aerial promblems. If you think the rubber duck is useless - try that thing that sticks on the windscreen! Don't know whether changing the Blaunkput (?) radio and/or the aerial will make any difference. Trouble is we do not want to drill any holes in the body work - the van or the GRP roof. Ray Smith is certainly who I had thought of visiting. There must be somewhere we could put a coat hanger.

Archived