CBE 320 panel not showing amps used

Northern1

Hi,

I have a 2015 Rapido 1001 fitted with the CBE 320 control panel, when reading the manual it states the amps in / out is displayed under the habitation battery voltage however on mine there is no amps displayed just the habitation battery voltage. Before I take this back to the dealer has anyone had similar problems with this type of panel and did you manage to fix it or was it a dealer only fix?

regards

Hi,

Yes the CBE instructions state the Ammeter can be calibrated in a similar way to B1 & B2 and there is an 80amp shunt in the boot next to all of the other electrics. With reference being made to the calibration I would expect there to be some visual output as to consumption / replenishment, I may be wrong but it would be the first van I have owned that does not have a facility to judge what is being consumed from the electric system!

regards

Hi Ken,

Initially I was inclined to the same opinion as Derek, in that the Rapido manual could be incorrect. I was influenced that there was no specific mention of a shunt or current measurement on the CBE website. The CBE online catalogue does state that a DS 3xx 12V distribution board is part of the kit, which is often specific to a particular make of motorhome.

Given that you have a shunt, the millivolt output of the shunt will of course have to be connected into the CBE system for the current to be displayed. Do your CBE instructions show where this connection is made, presumably to the DS 320 distribution board. If you are able to locate this connection you could check that it is OK. Also if you are able to disconnect at this point you should be able to check for continuity looking back towards the shunt. If the shunt is in the B2 +ve connection, disconnect B2 -ve before testing!

From the small amount of information that I have been able to uncover on the PC 320 system, the DS 300 distribution board has only 3 off 6mm terminal studs. These terminals are -ve, B1+ve, and B2+ve, There is no mention of a dedicated mains charger positive (CH+) terminal.

In contrast to the above, the PC 200 system in my PVC is linked to a DS 520AN 12V distribution board. This board includes a fourth 6mm terminal stud designated CH+. The board includes a current sensor, which I think is a Hall Effect device, connected between the CH+, and B2 + terminals. As the various loads are connected to the same point electrically as CH+, current flowing in/out B2 can be monitored. I cannot see a similar device on published photographs of a DS 300 distribution board.

I can only conclude that there is no current measurement on the DS 300, other than provided by an external shunt, which connects where?

Ken

We both own 2015 Rapidos, so it’s reasonable to think that our ‘generic’ Rapido User Manuals are the same.

As you rightly say, the information on Page V-5 of Rapido’s Manual states that - when the “Test” button is pressed - the PC320 control-panel should display Voltage readouts for the starter and leisure batteries, plus an Amperage readout for the leisure battery. The latter is described in the succeeding section (“Interpretation of the values displayed”) though I believe “Below 8A: too many...” should read “Above 8A: too many...” As Alanb says, CBE will ‘tailor’ electrical systems to a motorhome maufacturer’s requirements and in this case a DS450-RA Distribution Box is evidently fitted.

(My Rapido 640 has CBE PC-180-based electrics and the information about its control-panel in the Rapido Manual is incorrect - that’s why I suggested you check what CBE’s own booklet for a PC320-RA said.)

I did come across an on-line inquiry asking why the CBE PC320-CA system fitted to a Carthago motorhome failed to provide an Amperage readout and the advice given was that this capability was only enabled on the more upmarket Carthago motorhomes and not on the model being asked about. The need for a ’shunt’ was mentioned (and that it would be expensive to retro-fit) but you’ve said that your 1001 has a 80A shunt.

A User’s Manual for the PC320-CA (Carthago) control-panel can be found here

http://www.doc-cc.fr/Notice-Panneau-controle-PC320-CA.pdf

and describes how the panel can be calibrated (which I assume you have experimented with). I assume the ‘shunt’ is what’s shown on Page 40 as ”AMPEREMETER 80A”.

I don’t know whether there are any critical differences between the PC320 Carthago variant and the version fitted to a Rapido 1001. But as your motorhome has the 80A shunt and the Rapido and CBE manuals both indicate that an Amperage readout should be provided, it’s tempting to believe there’s a fault. (Conversely, if the control-panel functions flawlessly except fot the Amperage feature, there’s the possibility that the feature is not available by design.)

I did find this

http://www.doc-cc.fr/Parametrage-Panneau-CBE.pdf

that relates to a CBE PC320-RA, but I’m not sure if it would be any help.

If you can’t get the control-panel to play ball by following the advice in the CBE manual yourself, the next port of call should be the dealer who sold you the motorhome and (hopefully) should be able to say with certainty whether no control-panel Amperage readout is normal for a Rapido 1001.

Hi,

Derek first of all thank you for the welcome to the forum and thank you both for the informative response to the problem, I appreciate the time expended.

I have done a little checking and the wiring from the 80 amp shunt to the 12v distribution panel is intact and plugged in to the correct port, for information it is a blue plug as is the socket it fits into, I have not checked continuity of this cable but will do.

One observation I have is the display and the image in the manual are both different in so much as the position of the voltage and the amps in the manual are not the same on my panel nor is the size of the displayed numerals, I am now thinking more along the lines that the amps are not supposed to be displayed on this particular configuration. The only thing that I can't rationalise is that a manufacturer would not fit something that is costly and not used, I refer to the 80 amp shunt!

I will take some pictures and post what I have as compared to what the manual shows hopefully today.

I contacted CBE and they replied with checking everything was connected and if so to contact the supplying dealer as there may be a fault, I fear this is what I will have to do.

Thanks again for your help.

regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Just Joined

While searching google for information regarding the same Amp indication problem on my Rapido 10001 I came upon this thread.

I would be very interested to know of the outcome from the OP.

I have checked all the connections, the shunt and continuity of the connecting cables all off which show no problems..

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are enjoying your new 1001.

I have not taken this any further yet other than the checks you seem to have already done, I intend to go back to my supplying delaer with the problem but have not as yet due to lots of things getting in the way, I am still cleaning the mud off the bottom of mine after the Peterborough show.

I do however intend to pursue the problem but it is not a high priority for me at present as most of my trips are with hook up, and as yet we are stil learning what is what with the new van so would rather go back with a list rather than a single item.

Whilst at the Peterborough show without hook up the habitation low battery warning came on after the first 24hrs but that was after a fair amount of tv, lighting and heating as Friday was grim to say the least and Saturday was no better. A little charging from the engine on the Saturday evening resulted in sufficient charge to enable a repeat of the previous use of the tv, lighting and heating, we were towed onto dry land on the Sunday again with the habitation low battery warning blinking away.

I am searching for the information to allow proper calibration of the batteries and I will, if I find it, post that as well. I gather it is a case of measuring the standing voltage of the batteries and then adjusting the voltage displayed onthe CBE320 panel to match.

regards

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I contacted the selling dealer who came back with "if the system does not need the information then it won't be displayed" I did mention that it was me who needed the information!

I am going to look at fitting another type of monitor for the batteries an NDS, NASA BM1 or Victron, has anyone fitted one of these or could pass on any experiences with them!

I am still amazed that Rapido fit the shunt but don't use it!

I fitted a NASA BM1 and find it's great for what I need. I bought the oblong one as it fitted better into the space available. It only works on either the leisure batteries or the starter battery (not both). When the batteries aren't being charged it records the amps being drawn and an estimate of the number of Ah left. When the batteries are being charged it shows the charge voltage and the input amps.

I also have a CBE system but it didn't come with a shunt.

I think veletron (electronic expert) also uses a BM1. He maybe be able to add more info.

Archived