CHARGING BATTERIES THROUGH SOLAR POWER

trampers

Hi I have found through experience that the electrobloc99 is easily upset with a solar regulator that is not the same make ( think it's Shaudt) as there is problems with the electronics compatibility, also make sure the batteries are the same type, all gel or all lead acid. There is a selector switch on the electronic for the battery type depending which you choose.

I got all this wrong and it cost £600 for a new electrboc99

Sunlight 59 - 2017-02-22 7:54 AM

Hi I have found through experience that the electrobloc99 is easily upset with a solar regulator that is not the same make ( think it's Shaudt) as there is problems with the electronics compatibility, also make sure the batteries are the same type, all gel or all lead acid. There is a selector switch on the electronic for the battery type depending which you choose.

That only applies to older more expensive EBL's, the EBL99, 29, 100, 101 series the solar are connections are just a straight through connection to the batteries with a fuse in line.

lennyhb - 2017-02-22 9:45 AM

That only applies to older more expensive EBL's, the EBL99, 29, 100, 101 series the solar are connections are just a straight through connection to the batteries with a fuse in line.

If you mean you wire the solar regulator directly to the batteries (bypassing the EBL), you are wrong. It needs to be done via the EBL solar socket.

If you wire direct, to the batteries, you bypass the readout on the control panel. I had a solar setup on my last van. I did not use the Schaudt LR1218 controller at first, I used a different one but it was wired into the EBL99. What is the point of wiring direct if you cannot see if it is charging or not and what the charge rate is?

747 - 2017-02-22 12:07 PM

lennyhb - 2017-02-22 9:45 AM

If you mean you wire the solar regulator directly to the batteries (bypassing the EBL), you are wrong. It needs to be done via the EBL solar socket.

If you wire direct, to the batteries, you bypass the readout on the control panel. I had a solar setup on my last van. I did not use the Schaudt LR1218 controller at first, I used a different one but it was wired into the EBL99. What is the point of wiring direct if you cannot see if it is charging or not and what the charge rate is?

That is not what I said, I said the EBL is a straight through connection to the batteries, the 3 pins on the EBL solar input, Earth, Starter & Leisure battery just connect straight to the batteries there are no internal connections to the EBL circuits.

If the panel is capable of showing solar charge this is done via a separate signal cable from the regulator, I think the Votronic has this capability.

The Votronic is an excellent regulator, but does not come with all the cables that make a Schaudt regulator such an easy install.

As 747 points out only two of the 3 pin Solar pins are wired internally on the EBL 99, just for Habitation battery positive and negative. There is no access to the Starter battery at the EBL 99 3pin Solar Connector.

The Schaudt Solar regulator kit also includes the pre made cable harness to link in the Starter battery charging, just plug and go.

Without the correct Schaudt regulator cable kit a lot of manual wiring needs to be made which can cause issues after the wiring has been disturbed.

The cable kit is not only safer, but reduces the time to wire the regulator to the EBL down to about 10 minutes, so cutting down 'professional Fitter' time from up to a couple of hours (depending on EBL and location) to just minutes.

At Dealer Fitter rates of £50 an hour it usually pays for the extra cost of the cables/regulator.

Doing it the Motorhome manufacturer/Schaudt recommended way also results in the Solar Charge Current and voltage being visible on the EBL 99's Display like the IT994.

On the EBL 99 there is no technical reason you 'have' to use this method, unlike the later EBL's such as the EBL 220/DT 220 which must have a Solar Regulator with a Data output as well as a Charger output.

The EBL 220/DT 220 has to be aware of ALL charge being applied to the battery in order to calculate accurately. In extreme cases it may think there is a fault and shut down all 12v. http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/lr-1218.php

See email below we received yesterday on how not to do it. This is a genuine, unedited mail from yesterday except for removing names. Full email thread available on request :

Hello , I'm hoping you can resolve an issue I have , I've got a Frankia xxxx, when acquired it had 1 solar panel and 2 X 100 ah battery's . As I was going full time, I had a extra panel and now have 4 X 100ah battery's (Numax) . XXXX Newark did the work for me and also fitted a Steca pr3030 solar control unit as they said the old one could not take the power.

My problem is my Schaudt DT220 only allows me to use any power for around 7 hrs and then turns off saying "Charge"... But the Steca says I've still got 85% of power left .

So you can see I can't go off grid as I wanted and just have to keep finding hook up . Dealer XXXX did have it back for this issue before, as I was going to France for 6 months in the new year (I'm here now ) . They had said they found the problem and just wired the battery's from in series to parallel , I trusted them and for the last 8 weeks I've been in contact with them and they keep fobbing me off saying there must be something dragging the power down.

P.T.

The photos supplied by the customer show the charge output from the Stecca being wired through the EBL 220 Solar charge pins, but the 4 pin data port BL9 is unpopulated, hence the issue the Frankia owner has.

Archived