CLEANING

Windsurf1

Hi, I'm sure this will be a well discussed subject but has anyone found a really effective Motorhome cleaner? I've tried most of the popular products, Fennwicks etc with various methods but unless used with a powerful pressure washer the green deposits are very stubborn to remove. I don't like using repeated close power washing to remove ingrained marks. Unfortunately my Unit is parked near overhanging trees so may be a cover is the only alternative? Surely there must be some product out there which is effective and dissolves deposits for stored Motorhomes and Caravans? Thankyou for any recommendations.

Apart from the fact that pressure washers can cause real problems....breaking seals....there is no magic answer.

Have tried everything over very many years and hard work seems to be the only answer.

The only product that actually did as advertised was Silky Restore which is used (carefully) on precleaned surfaces to remove the haze and restore a shine.

Good Luck.

https://silkyleisure.co.uk/product/restore-polishing-compound/

Saw a caravan on a site in Bristol last year and the shine was stunning. I thought it was brand new. Spoke to the owner and he said it was five years old and called his wife out to chat. She said she washed and polished it every Wednesday without fail, come rain or shine and used Fenwicks shampoo and polish. Reckons because she does it so often it takes 15 mins

If you are parking under trees, may I assume most of your problem stems from build up of algae etc on the roof with spillage down over the sides.

If this is the case, there are many Motorhome owners reporting good results from using a patio cleaner called wet and forget. As the name suggests it is simply sprayed onto the roof and left. Over a period of time the product appears to kill, remove and go some way towards further prevention of reoccurrence for a period of time.

Naturally many are sceptical or concerned about the safe use on their valuable van, but the consensus seems to be that it causes no damage to paintwork. I seem to recall some have consulted the manufacturer and confirmed it’s safe use.

Google wet and forget linking to Motorhomes, or visit wildcamping.com and search for the threads to make your own evaluation.

With regard to a cover, my previous van was parked under a magnificent horse chestnut at my previous house, so bird droppings and algae were a frequent issue. I used a breathable cover for several winters successfully without any sign of damp or condensation build up. I did though open the door frequently to air the interior and also made a form of ridge pole to place on the roof to hold the cover off the flat roof and ease run off of moisture. I did not notice any evidence of chaffing of paintwork, although the van was in a fairly sheltered location. The majority of people recommend no cover, but I wonder how many of them actually have experience of using covers or do they simply repeat the nay mantra. The other downside often quoted is that they are awkward to put on and off, but with practice this becomes a minor issue taking 10 minutes or so. I did feel that cleaning the cover was nearly more of a nuisance than cleaning a van roof, although at least you can power wash a cover on the ground.

Davy

I too park close to tree and am familiar with the issue.

I clean my van when the white roof turns green.

Jet washing imo is likely to cause surface damage. I’ve found that the best approach is to clean with a long handle brush, it cuts through the green, grime, and moss immediately and does so with out damaging the paintwork. I use something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-ALUMINIUM-TELESCOPIC-Water-Fed-Extendable-Car-Wash-Window-C-SQUEEGEE-Brush-UK/274621143332?hash=item3ff0b21924:g:gdoAAOSwEvhfovIy plus a small hand brush for any confined areas. It makes for a quick job, not dissimilar to cleaning an elephant.

As far as washing solution goes, I use hot water with a squeeze of dish washing liquid and a generous squeeze or two of baby bottle sterilizer liquid. The latter ups the chlorine content which seems to deter/kill the roof vegetation and also helps to bleach the whites.

I use the same on my car.

1-s-l1600.thumb.jpg.55e60d568c952063b143b88926f5da1c.jpg

Autoglym products are superb

The autoglym TFR will remove everything and most black streaks.

User a sprayer ( harden sprayer ideal )starting from the bottom, it’s unbelievably easy.

Give a brushing over with a decent quality MH extending brush.

Give it a good rinse and then use Autoglym wash & Polish, rinse and dry.

The TFR is also ideal for flys in the summer.

Quick spray, leave for 5 mins and wash off.

Den

Thanks all for the informative replies. The roof is the biggest problem being a Autosleeper Devon. It's constructed with raised rails at the sides causing a natural water collection area over the roof. Compounded with the solar pane, roof skylights. Working off a ladder with a soft broom is not ideal. I have used covers before on caravans, "Protech" and found them very good except for the pain of putting them on. However I reckon it's probably the way to go give my situation. Cheers J C

I have used Fenwicks for ages but do get build up green algae so looked around for an alternative. Looking at detailing forums there is a consensus that Bilthamber products are worth looking at. I contacted them and was advised to try their Surfex-HD All Purpose Cleaner (APC) to clean the van and wax it using their Double Speed Wax.

I found the cleaner worked very well and having applied the wax over a month ago water is still beading off like I had waxed it yesterday, so I am really happy.

As a professional motorhome and caravan valeter I have to warn not to use patio cleaners such as Wet and Forget especially if you have a GRP roof. It will cause premature oxidation and if it dribbles down the sides can damage graphics. If using TFR always read and adhere to the dilution instructions and never use the cheap stuff as it is caustic

I used a professional Motorhome valeter when I had problems with some yellowing on my LeVoyageur probably about 4 or 5 years ago.

Wish I could remember the company, he made an absolutely fantastic job.

I have a feeling it was from the above company from Swindon.

I agree with using proper chemicals and not patio cleaner.

I got some wet & forget a few years ago to use on my brick paving and decking areas. Then saw mention and discussion of it for cleaning vans I emailed the makers who assured me that there was Nothing in it which would harm my van or any paint work. So I apply some every now and again with a garden sprayer diluted to their recommendations and its excellent although algae returns quicker to van than it does to brick paving

A little and often with a neutral detergent is the answer. In over 50 years owning motorhomes I have never used a fancy cleaner or polish on any of them and they have stayed as good as new. There are many products out there that are little more than watered down industrial cleaners. All will leave your van sparkling, but for how long before the surface goes dull?

There was a fad a few years ago when it was found that windows could be brought back from the dead by cleaning with Parafin, and it worked. Trouble was after a couple of years the windows all turned blue! Be careful what you use.

ron. - 2021-01-20 2:04 PM

There was a fad a few years ago when it was found that windows could be brought back from the dead by cleaning with Parafin, and it worked. Trouble was after a couple of years the windows all turned blue! Be careful what you use.

That was probably Esso Blue better blue than using Aladdin Pink :-D

machra - 2021-01-20 2:18 PM

What neutral detergent do u use Ron?

Good old Fairy Liquid at the moment. A PH of 9.0 which is on the alkaline limit of being neutral. A good squirt in a bucket of water followed by a hose down once a month on average isn’t going to hurt anything and is easy going. Rub any rainwater black streaks off before they get ingrained and that’s it.

Ron

Archived