Cab Screens- Inside or out

Guest Glyn

I'm trying to cut down condensation inside the windscreen and get better insulation so considering silver screens. My question is whether internal ones really work as the suppliers seem to think external ones are the answer. Hovever, I think external ones would be inconvenient when wet for storage etc. Does anyone have experience of external v internal screens?

Definately outside to stop the condensation. Never have any when we put them on. I haven't found them a problem when wet either. A little inconvienent but ours just roll and and go back in their bag. You can always take them out to dry at some other time - but never found it necessary. With internals they would be wet with condensation anyway! Ours has Velcro on the front so when we are parked up for the day we can 'open' the windscreen portion down from the sides - just clip it under the wiper blades to hold in place

Guest David Powell
Had a long chat with the "Silverscreen man" at one of the shows and he said that in excessive sunshine internal screens could cause the glass to crack because of heat build up due to reflection from the internal silvered screen doubling the amount of heat. Sounds a sensible line of thought, or was it just sales talk because he was only selling external screens???

Guest jeffrey
I have used internal screen in my VWT4 and they work very effectively. I have never experienced condensation with them. They are also "darker" than curtains which should ensure a better nights sleep. In very hot places-Greece/Turkey- I have used an additional external 'Halfords' type reflector screen to keep the level of heat transmission down. No signs of a cracked windows yet!

Regarding the cracked screens - While in France this year we saw at least 3 vans - not MH's with badly cracked windscreens. Not something I've been aware of before, so I think the Silver screen guy will be right. Afterall didn't I read somewhere that we shouldn't leave our caravan screens closed in the hot sun, lest the windows become damaged - crazing or worse.

Guest DaidRon
My first screens were internal, sometimes a corner would fall and set off my alarms, and they didn't stop condensation anyway. Now I've got externals with velcro drop down, no condensation and I don't have to take them off when I want to see out.

Have used both and external screens are superior for stopping condensation. I only us internals when wild camping in case I need to move off quickly if disturbed. Internals also leave marks on the windscreen from the suckers. Genuine Silverscreens offer the best quality if a little more expensive.

We had good quality internal screen that came with our Rapido but soon changed to external screens by Solar Screens to stop the condensation. We did look at the Silver Screens company as we had heard that their quality was supposed to be better than the competition but we didn't like their blatantly derogatory attitude to makers of similar products and the Silver Screens were quite a bit more expensive for the same product. We also felt that they were not quite as good a quality as the cheaper ones from Solar Screens (which is what we eventually bought) for example the way the stitching is done around the edge - Solar Screens have a proper turned in edge seam whereas Silver Screens are just turned over and cross stitched which could leave them open to being caught on something and tearing apart. We have not been disappointed with them at all and have been using them for 18 months now and they are still as good as new, they can be partly rolled down on the windscreen if needed and even broken down in to 2 sections for easier storage. Incidentally, you can still use the external screens internally if you are wild camping and want to be able to remove them quickly if needed, but you can't really use internal ones externally.

Guest Alan Watson
Mel I am considering buying some external screens - do you have any contact details for Solar Screens please. Preferably web site address. Cheers Alan

We bought ours from Taylormade - 01484 661 918 (Huddersfield) or www.taylormade-window-covers.co.uk Very satisfied. Finished off very well. Though I'm trying to find the internal stuff to make my own internal screens - can anyone help with a supplier. Found some in Rouen at Pierres but didn't need it then!

Glyn - if you look at this site http://www.taylormade-window-covers.co.uk/internal.html you will find what I dared not say (in case I was wrong). The difinative reason for buying externals

Hi Our Solar Screens are the ones made by Taylormade the exact same ones they have on their website showing them turned down on the windscreen. The only 'improvement' we have made to them is to put the 2 laces (which you use to hold the screens down over the mirrors) through a couple of those sprung toggles that you get on jacket drawstrings etc to make it easier to fasten them up and take them off as it's easier than having to keep trying to tie the laces tightly. All you need to do is just put each lace through the holes in the covers first (it's easier to get them in the right holes in the right order whilst it's on the 'van), then slip the toggle over the 2 ends of one of each lace, tie a knot in the very end of the lace. You can then just loop the lace over the mirror and push the toggle up until it is tight, reversing the process to take the screens off again - the laces are long enough to do this.

• 3 weeks later...
We also considered a Silver screen a few years back and nearly purchased from them more recently. But we came to exactly the same conclusion as Mel B for exactly the same reasons as Mel B and would not want to do business with Silver Screens. If they are unable to sell their product on its merrits without slagging off the competition they are not honorable traders in my view. As most of our camping is in warmer climbs we have only ever suffered condensation once, and that was in January at Shepton Mallet. We don,t plan to go this year! So do I want to carry the bulk of a set of screens and fill up the loo with them if I need to take them down wet? Still pondering on this one.

Archived