Cab window: converting to motorised drive.

ALAN G

ALAN G

While ordering the necessary bits through a Peugeot main agent could well prove eye-wateringly expensive, you may be able to obtain the genuine parts on-line much cheaper. For example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Ducato-Peugeot-Boxer-Citroen-Relay-O-S-Electric-Window-Regulator-Mechanism/232257039294?epid=0&hash=item3613992bbe:g:h74AAOSwax5Ytu30

The idea was discussed on the MHFacts forum in 2009

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/50580-electric-window-conversion-2005-ducato.html

Personally, I’d need a very very VERY good reason to attempt this conversion and, if I did attempt it, I’d never use anything other than the original parts bought either cheaply new or even cheaper 2ndhand.

(It’s rather like asking how best to have sex while trampolining - if it’s necessary to ask it’s probably wise not to try it...)

Considering the age of your van, I would not bother.

We have electric windows, but last year the drivers window went wrong, while in Spain.

It stuck open! Cost a fair amount to get it repaired , when we got home, as the labour was expensive, due to having to go right back to the dashboard. sometimes think too much automation is put on cars/vans

Stick with the wind up version !

PJay

I did consider this on my last van (Boxer), but after looking into it, decided on cost and work involved, that it simply wasn't worth it. This was for the driver's side window only - the wiring to do both windows was considerably more complex. Unless you have a very good need to do it, I'd forget it.

You could put the question on to www.breakeryard.co.uk and see what comes back. they circulate your enquiry to breakers around the UK and you then get replies with cost of the bits. A bit of pleading and negotiating and you might find they'll fit the window for you

Guest pelmetman

When I bought a new astra van for work back in 97 I wanted electric windows, but although they were available on the cars they weren't an option on the van. So I had a retrofit kit fitted which clamped over the winder thingy, with switches fitted by the handbrake worked fine, don't recall it being expensive ;-) ..........

Now days I just make a electric motor noise as I wind the window down :D ..........

I sometimes wish that we did't have powered windows.

When the front seats are swiveled and you want the window open for ventilation, you have to put the key's in the ignition, turn it on, open window, turn it off and repeat when it gets cold.

Previously, you just wound it down, progress eh?

pete

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Allan, see my website on how I did it to my Peugeot Boxer;- www.ourwanderer.uk The parts I used may not now be available, but at least you will have some idea on how to do it. Not difficult if you have the time. It was extremely useful when we travelled on the continent for the wife to lean out of the window at toll booths while I lowered the windows.

Archived