Calais Plage

Guest Teresa

Has anyone got any new information re. the parking at Calais Plage. Going in January. Also what is the best way to Cap Blanc Nez. It will be dark when we arrive and do not really want to be driving miles.

Guest Mike Culver
Morning Teresa, We stayed there overnight with about 30 other vehicles about two weeks ago, not the same as dark January, but we felt safe with others around us and it was only about 15 mins from the Tunnel. The barrier to the Plage had been broken so it was a free night. Hope I've helped. Enjoy and be lucky. Mike.

We were there last week. As Mike says, the barrier is broken at the calais aire (or more like snapped off by disgruntled camping caristes in protest of the stupid 'deposit'for the barrier card), however, they still chrge €7 a night but if you want a freebie i'd advise leaving before 1000hrs as this is the time that the council bod comes round to collect the dues. Re Cap Blanc Nez, this has been completely cordoned off to all vehicles and is being completely redeveloped, its not clear whether m/homes will be able to overnight there anymore, we certainly hope so but doubt it. pete.

We were at the Plage end of September and the word going about was the Motorhomes were turning away after seeing the barriers and the notice proclaiming when they did`nt open through the night even though you were already in there.It is thought that the resteraunt owners saw to the damaged barriers. It was a chappie from the camping site round the corner who was collecting the 7 Euros.He came around about 1500hrs that day. Its always nice place to talk you fellow Motorhomers as well as the foreigners. Gordon.

We are gutted about the news about Cap Blanc Nez. This has been our first and last nights stopping place nearly every year since 1973. Has anybody any other information please. Thanks Clive

Guest Brian Kirby
Stayed 26 October. Barriers broken. Couldn't find anyone at the campsite in two visits, just (an apparently permanent) notice on reception office door saying "I am on the site", but whoever it was was totally invisible. Stayed nevertheless, with 20 or more others, no one had arrived by 10:30, when we left. So, thank you Ville de Calais for the free night. However, there are no facilities. The nearest toilets, if you want them, are on the campsite and not especially well maintained. There is continual noise from ferries, from the local kits "hotting" in the adjacent car park, from other motorhomers who arrive up to 1:00 am - and drive around in the dark looking for the last space - and from others who leave about 06:30 am, so, overall, yes its free (or cheapish even when they can be bothered to organise collecting the fee) but, even at €7 it's hardly good value and definitely not very agreeable. Biggest advantage, you can walk to the Le Channel raesaurant and get a superb meal. I shan't use it again - unless in an emergency. Yer pays yer money.......... Regards Brian

I have done a little research about Cap Blanc Nez The resultant email below is bad news for many of us who use this as our first and last nights stop before/after the ferry. " RE: Cap Gris nez Our camping-car as all cars are now not well come in this area ...you must find an another place to spend the night , because the authority want that Cap Blanc Nez will became a wild place without cars or camping cars, etc... all along the French cost is the same ... Sorry Best regard Bernard GILLIOCQ Vice président of Opale Camping Car Club " Bernard suggests an alternative which might be OK for the Van conversions but not coach builts. "suggest you to spend your first night at Boulogne sur mer in the Harbour near Nausicaa and to cross the channel to Boulogne sur mer with speedferry" I guess we have enjoyed the best years already!

Re your info clive -- "cap blanc nez will become a wild place without cars or camping cars", strange that as on our recent visit it looked very much like they were actually in the process of levelling off and building a huge car park where the vans used to overnight. On the other side of the Cap at Escalles there was a sign directing you to what appeared to be a new 'aire' but we didn't visit, it certainly won't have the views that the cap did. pete.

I know that if you continue past Cap Blanc Nez you eventually come to a village where free camping is advertised on the right, but no view whatsoever. But its a lot further from Calais for use weary travellers who have opted at the last minute to take the late boat rather than the booked early boat the following morning having camped on the hill overlooking Dover together with other HGV's Next time across the pond we shall certainly go and see what they have done to the Cap. I guess Motorhomes have become too popular!

Archived