Calais campsites

DonB

It depends how near is near.

If it’s for a ferry crossing back to the UK we usually overnight and sometimes double overnight at the municipal aire at Saint-Valery-sur-Somme. A lovely spot, twelve euros a night (when we last were there), open all year round and a short walk down in to St Vallery which has excellent restaurants and bars and some fascinating old town to meander around. And of course far enough out not to have an illegal migrant issue to have to contend with.

Presumably this is the aire at Rue d’Asfeld, Calais.

https://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?numero=28620

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/markerMobile.php?id=26796

As BruceM has said “How near is near?”

The campingcar-infos website allows filtering to only show campsites and the information on some of those nearish to Calais suggest that they will be open during the 1st week of November. Personally, I’d check with the site whether that will indeed be so and I’d have fall-back options just in case a chosen site decides to close early.

DonB - 2021-08-21 1:45 PM

Does anybody know of a campsite near Calais that is open the first week of November?

Donald, I think it may help if you could clarify a few extra things.

1 Your direction of travel from Calais. From the date, I would assume you will be travelling SW on the A16, but is this correct.

2 I assume from the above that the cut-off date of 7 November. This may be important, as the majority of sites in Northern France seem to close 31 October, so your choices in November will, inevitably, be very limited. (Also, it may be worth having a back-up, as it is not unknown for operators to close early if there is no trade.

3 You have asked for campsites. Should we assume that this excludes aires etc. with no facilities?

4 As above you say "near" Calais. Can you enlarge a little, perhaps, if only in terms of travel time?

In the meantime, Camping Beausejour, at Arques (near St Omer, so more convenient for A26 than A16), says it is open until 15 November. We have used it several times and the facilities are enclosed, heated, clean and, if not show stopping, perfectly adequate. GPS N50.74561 E2.30456

Don’s original posting on this earlier thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/French-restaurants/58720/

said

"Do any of you knowledgeable people know if the French restaurants are accepting UK hard copy proof of Covid vaccinations to gain entry as we are not of the App generation. We hope to travel in September."

On that basis, it seems more likely that Don wishes to find a campsite near Calais to stay on just prior to returning to the UK.

French are not accepting paper copies of vaccination, unless it has a scanable qr code on it! The restaurant needs to check you in by scanning it or be find a big amount of money.

Check out the GOV.UK Web site, where you have to fill in the passenger locator form to get back into the UK.

You can apply for the French qr code, at area3.covid-pass@diplomatie.gouv.fr

You will need a PDF or JPG copy of your vaccination certificate, your passport, return travel ticket and the signed completed form, which you will have to download first to sign .

Hope that helps.

Thank you all for your help, as our searches were getting us nowhere. We have to stop in Calais in November on the way back from our grandson's fifth birthday in Switzerland. We haven't seen him for 18 months. And we will be shopping and sorting out whatever Covid tests are required then. Once again thanks for your help, much appreciated! You've made things a lot clearer!

Iain Strachan - 2021-08-22 3:22 PM

French are not accepting paper copies of vaccination, unless it has a scanable qr code on it! The restaurant needs to check you in by scanning it or be find a big amount of money.

Check out the GOV.UK Web site, where you have to fill in the passenger locator form to get back into the UK.

You can apply for the French qr code, at area3.covid-pass@diplomatie.gouv.fr

You will need a PDF or JPG copy of your vaccination certificate, your passport, return travel ticket and the signed completed form, which you will have to download first to sign .

Hope that helps.

Have you applied for, and received, the French QR code? If so, how long did it take. I applied on Friday night and received an automated response saying it might be some time before I get it.

DonB - 2021-08-22 5:10 PM

Thank you all for your help, as our searches were getting us nowhere. We have to stop in Calais in November on the way back from our grandson's fifth birthday in Switzerland. We haven't seen him for 18 months. And we will be shopping and sorting out whatever Covid tests are required then. Once again thanks for your help, much appreciated! You've made things a lot clearer!

I’ve used the campingcar-infos website to look at campsites nearish to Calais. As is infuriatingly commonplace with French campsite websites, their openong period is often not updated and, although a couple or websites SUGGEST they should be open during the 1st week of November (because they apparently were last year) this isn’t certain.

You might try the campsite at WISSANT (about 22km to the west of Calais) as their website specifically indicates opening until 15 November 2021.

https://www.ville-wissant.fr/15-camping-municipal-de-la-source.html

(I note that there is a pharmacy in Wissant, but I don’t know if it would carry out COVID-19 antigen tests for foreign nationals.)

Donald

The site I mentioned above, Camping Beausejour, at Arques (near St Omer) here, https://tinyurl.com/25yf9d4n would, IMO, be worth considering.

Its website says it will be open until 15 November, so open for another week after your arrival window, plus it is a municipal, so probably more reliable than the privately owned sites.

It is (according to Autoroute (set to the slowest driving times), about 8.5 hours driving time from Zurich, using motorways via Basel, Nancy and Reims, (allowing a 15 minutes stop every 4 hours, so either a vary long drive, or one more overnight stop required).

Arques to the CT arrivals is then about 45 minutes, again using motorway.

Why not send an e-mail to: contact@campingbeausejour62.fr and see if they can confirm being open for your dates?. At least that would give you one reasonably workable option.

laimeduck - 2021-08-23 1:02 PM

I've just had a quick look on ACSI and this one is open until 11/11/21 - It's near Cap Blanc Nez- Just what the doctor ordered I'd suggest?

https://www.campingcard.co.uk/france/nord-pas-de-calais/pas-de-calais/escalles/campsite-les-erables-113093/

Or their own website here http://www.camping-les-erables.fr/?lang=en

Jeremy

Yep, good find, Jeremy. Heated toilet block too! GPS for entrance: N50.91233 E1.72041

It seems Donald may also need an intermediate stop between Zurich and Calais (I would!! :-D). Maybe he already has one in mind, as availability should be better a bit further south.

However, if not:

Camping La Croix Badeau https://tinyurl.com/aaxpaw at Soulaines-Dhuys GPS N48.37661 E4.73829 says it is open until 19/11,

Camping Le Colombier https://tinyurl.com/jvw7ajvh at Dienville GPS N48.34844 E4.53249 says it is open until 30/11, and

Camping Navarre https://tinyurl.com/46axp8th at Langres GPS N47.86020 E5.33018 says it is open until 8/11 (although there seems some discussion between ACSI and the site web page!). However, the town looks fascinating.

All three are a diversion from the more direct route, but are roughly half way between Zurich and Calais.

We have now applied for our French QR codes. Not yet received any response. The site Camping Beausejour in Arques looks very good for us, as there appears to be a Covid Testing Station fairly near (if we still need it!) Thank you Brian, the transit stops are very interesting, we have noted them. Thank you all again. Don

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something?

If you are a UK citizen you cannot apply for a French QR code.

What you can do is get a QR code from the NHS which you can then import into the French ToUs Covid app, which allows entry into bars etc in France.

To get to France you need to show at the French border the Second of the QR codes that appear on your NHS record that you can get via the NHS app or from the NHS website

Ideally you can store that electronically on your phone or if you prefer in paper form. Just as long as it’s clear enough to be scanned.

To leave France you need a negative test (antigen or PCR) which can be uploaded onto the UK gov Passenger locator web page or presented in paper at the Eurotunnel terminal with the accompanying delays that entails. Plus you need to need to load details onto this webpage of your day2 test that you will take on your return to the UK.

It maybe I am misunderstanding the question but we are on our second trip to France in 2 months (get em while stocks last) and at no time have we, or do we intend to apply for a French QR code. How could the French provide me with such when they don’t have access to my vaccination record?

AM I missing something?

slowdriver - 2021-09-03 7:12 PM

Am I missing something?

If you are a UK citizen you cannot apply for a French QR code...

A problem arises when a “UK citizen” lives in Scotland where confirmation of COVID-19 vaccination status does not include a scannable QR code. This issue was highlighted by Iain Strachan in his posting of 22 August 2021 3:22 PM above.

gov.uk information about this is here

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/coronavirus

The relevant advice reads as follows:

Scottish vaccine certificates are not yet accepted for domestic use in France.

Vaccinated non-EU tourists, including those from Scotland, can request a QR code for domestic use from the French government if travelling to France. To be eligible, you will need to provide the following evidence by email:

- A vaccination certificate

- A valid passport

- Return travel tickets

- A completed application form

The documents can be provided in PDF, JPG or PNG form, and sent to area3.covid-pass@diplomatie.gouv.fr. The email subject line should read: COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE / SURNAME First name / Date of arrival in France in the format DD-MM-21.

You will receive a QR code by email once the application has been processed, which can then be presented on paper or electronically.

This system is initially open to those already in France or arriving on or before 15 August. Subsequent arrivals will be processed at a later date. You can find full information at the French government website.

Archived