Calais problems today

hallii

I am just back, at Calais on the ferry port road I was rushed by to many migrants to count, one hung on my door mirror and one got in front of me and forced me to stop, another tried all the doors but they were locked, of course. As I got moving again one of them threw a fist sized rock at the caravan in front of me, he was accelerating hard so the rock just missed.

The forced stopping was repeated about four times and I was glad to see the passport booths as there was a lone gendarme armed with a CS gas spray stationed there. The ferry was unable to unload due to the possibility of being rushed by the migrants, we boarded late but the captain put his foot down and we made up about 20 mins, I was impressed with the turn of speed from such a large boat (OK ship).

Believe me, it was scary, I can do without that sort of excitement, so after 50 years of using Calais we have decided that that will be the last time, I wonder when the French will notice that travellers are not using Calais any more and put some serious Police presence in place. The only police I saw was that one lonely gendarme, and he looked a bit worried!

H

I believe they also rushed the tunnel We drove straight on the ferry at Cean last sunday.No problems then Cherbourg appears to be well protected (at the moment) sadly the fast cat stops running for the winter, maybe BF will start to use it for other ferries in future

Shows how desperate the illegals are

PJay

Sounds quite worrying stuff

I really hope all this carry on doesn't make getting to and from France a no go as we really love it there

I've done the trip by motorbike countless times in the past, I don't think I'd dare now the way things are going!

I stopped using Calais port long ago.....but not due to the reasons the OP stated. I just got fed up with over zealous 'jobsworth' border control officers and vowed never to use it again after one wrenched at the locked door then furiously banged the side of my van with his fist, despite clearly seeing i was in the drivers seat. I got out and tore him off a strip. I've always used Dunkerque since.

The Calais issue with the 'illegals' can easily be sorted. Just close the tunnel down.

Bulletguy - 2015-10-03 9:20 PM

The Calais issue with the 'illegals' can easily be sorted. Just close the tunnel down.

So, just let those of us who use the tunnel, in preference to sea crossings for a variety of reasons, do as the OP did and run the gauntlet at the ferry port?

.... which will move them all to the ferry terminal.

Would your strategic plan involve closing down the ferry port as well ?

;-)

david lloyd - 2015-10-04 10:22 AM

So, just let those of us who use the tunnel, in preference to sea crossings for a variety of reasons, do as the OP did and run the gauntlet at the ferry port?

malc d - 2015-10-04 10:38 AM

.... which will move them all to the ferry terminal.

Would your strategic plan involve closing down the ferry port as well ?

;-)

How long has the Calais encampment existed? A good many years. It's not 'new' by any means.

I've been using Dunkerque port since 2006 every year and in all those years have not seen one single 'illegal' hovering around there. Of course the downside to all this fence building at Calais is it may shift them further up the coast.......such as Dunkerque.

malc d - 2015-10-03 8:51 PM

PJay - 2015-10-03 6:37 PM

Shows how desperate the illegals are

PJay

But why are they so " desperate " to escape from France ?

They are in no danger there.

(?)

Because they don't the freebies they get here And if you live in France there is a lot of bureaucracy and form filing. Also the French are not so welcoming to Muslims

PJay

We came across on the shuttle on Wednesday morning 7:50 train no problems at all. We stayed on the Yacht basin Tuesday night, between the 2 aires there must have been 50 vans not an immigrant in sight, loads of police. all the problems are down on the ferry terminal .

They have removed all the trees and under growth along the fence at citie Europe so there is nowhere for them to hide. And the security people are checking out anyone looking like an immigrant and moving them on. Yes they are now moving up the coast to the other ferry ports even been seen down at Boulogne. That’s info received from Family who work on the ferries

Now this is the way to travel 7:50am Shuttle booked, alarm goes off 6:45 drive out of Aire 7am, Arrive booking in booth 7:10 loaded onto train 7:30 35 min crossing arrive Folkestone 8:30 7:30 UK time . 7:45 Tesco for Breakfast. 8:30 back on Motorway heading home

ham - 2015-10-04 8:41 PM

They have removed all the trees and under growth along the fence at citie Europe so there is nowhere for them to hide.

I doubt that will bother them one bit. Hiding has never been their priority!

And the security people are checking out anyone looking like an immigrant and moving them on.

That's me done for then. I'm not white.....i'm brown.

Now this is the way to travel 7:50am Shuttle booked, alarm goes off 6:45 drive out of Aire 7am, Arrive booking in booth 7:10 loaded onto train 7:30 35 min crossing arrive Folkestone 8:30 7:30 UK time . 7:45 Tesco for Breakfast. 8:30 back on Motorway heading home

That sounds too much like hard work which would make me manic depressive. My entire work life was ruled by the clock, time slots, schedules, rosta's, 'targets' and snatched meal breaks. I gave all that nonsense up five years ago to recover my sanity.

This is the way to travel.

Drive down to Dover between midnight and 5am. Anything either side of those times is a complete nightmare as that's when all the plebs clutter up the motorways.

Drive to the warden free zone five minutes from the Port (yes there really is one but i'm keeping quiet about it!), and get your head down.

Book the cheapest crossing available, then rock up a few hours earlier and they stick you on a prime time slot at no extra just to get rid of you.

Relax in luxury or stroll around the promenade deck taking in the fresh sea air. Enjoy the cruise.

Drainpipes are for rats. :D

Best crossing I ever had was in my camping days.

With tent in the back, drive into Southend airport after 7 in the morning.

Load car onto plane.

Fly across channel.

Driving on foreign soil soon after 8.

Those were the days.

;-)

Archived