Calor gas-bottles - exchange rules revised

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
Within the last month Calor has revised its rules regarding gas-cylinder exchange. Previously, cylinders were segregated (primarily on capacity) into several 'Groups', with Calor prohibiting a cylinder in one Group from being exchanged for a cylinder in a different Group. For example, although you could swap an empty 4.5kg butane cylinder for a full 6kg propane cylinder (as both were in the same Group), you couldn't exchange the 4.5kg cylinder for a 13kg propane (or a 15kg butane) cylinder as these larger capacity bottles were in a different Group. Although the 'exchange only in same Group' rule remains in force, the Groups themselves have been radically restructured as follows: Group B: this comprises just 2 Calor containers - a BBQ 6kg butane cylinder and a Patio Gas 5kg propane cylinder. You can exchange either bottle in Group B for one exactly the same, or you can swap the BBQ 6kg for a Patio Gas 5kg (or vice versa). And that's your Group B lot! Group A: this contains all other Calor gas-cylinders, from little 3.9kg propane right up to huge 47kg propane. You can exchange any bottle in this Group for one exactly the same, or you can swap any Group A bottle for any different bottle in Group A. That means 3.9kg for 19kg, 47kg for 15kg, 7kg for 4.5kg etc. If your bottle's in Group A you can swap it for any Calor exchangeable bottle except for the two making up Group B. The cylinder hire-contract pricing has also been amended, with a standard £24.99 initial fee regardless of the capacity or gas-type of the cylinder. Exchange prices (available on Calor website) will of course continue to vary according to cylinder capacity. The revised exchange-rules are clearly defined in the "Suitable Cylinder Exchange" section of Calor's website, but this clarity may not automatically make swapping bottles on a non-like-for-like basis any less problematical than before. I visited the Worcester Calor Centre today to return 2 redundant 4.5kg bottles and a 15kg one (all empty) and to pick up a full 6kg propane bottle in exchange. In fact, I had absolutely no problem doing this, but, of the 3 staff there, only 2 were familiar with Calor's regulation changes and the 3rd (a delivery driver) was unaware of the altered rules. ("Nobody tells drivers anything", he complained.) It's anybody's guess when (or whether) information about the changes will filter down to small Calor agencies (like service stations or hardware shops). Even if the information does arrive, it's still anybody's guess whether the agents will choose to act on it. Calor's latest 'swap any bottle for (virtually) any other' policy is bound to complicate small-business ordering and stocking systems and, with the previous multiple-Groups arrangement, I seldom used to find a Calor agent who would actually adhere to Calor's exchange rules. So, if you want to try unlike-Calor-bottle swapping, I suggest you select a main Calor Gas centre and take along a print of the relevant web-page. Incidentally, the Worcester Calor chaps warned me that there's currently a national shortage of their smaller, up-to-7kg cylinders. I don't know if the much-trumpeted increase in the popularity of motorcaravanning is a contributory cause, but, if you need another small Calor cylinder or want a refill, you might bear that warning in mind. (Personally, I don't care now I've got my 6kg bottle!) The rule relaxation also means that a friendly recycling centre becomes increasingly attractive as a source of 'free' Calor bottles. I could occasionally acquire 3.9kg/4.5kg cylinders via "The Tip" and easily obtain 15kg ones, but I really coveted 6kg or 7kg Calor bottles and these were almost never dumped. Now, of course, things will be much simpler for us inveterate gas-bottle scroungers.

Guest PeteC
I dont understand what your problem is/has been I have been camping/caravaning/motorhoming/using gas cylinders as a heating source since 1950 I have never been refused to exchange Blue cylinders for red ones (when we used to change for winter camping before stay to red all year) We have exchanged 4.5kg for 47kg Both Propane red So that we had a spare for our work units space heater in winter and back in the summer and 4.5 butane for 18kg propane SO WHAT HAS BEEN THE PROBLEM IN THE PAST ?????????????????????????????????????????

Guest Derek Uzzell
PeteC: What you've described is certainly now feasible (as far as Calor's latest rules are concerned) but it definitely wasn't previously and many people fell foul of Calor's 'old' regulations. In the past there have been letters in MMM about exchange difficulties and, only recently, a motorcaravanning acquaintance of mine was finding it impossible to exchange a Calor 7kg butane bottle for a 6kg propane cylinder, never mind one of the more exotic swaps.) Sounds like you dealt with a friendly and very co-operative Calor agent, and I'm sure it did no harm that you were a trade customer. It will be interesting to see how other forum readers react to your observations.

Guest Mike Thomas
Hi Derek As PeteC: I have never been refused swoping back and forth between Calor 7kg butane bottle for a 6kg propane cylinder, for the past few years I now use LPG so don't use either now, but I think you did right in letting others know that were not aware they could exchange between the Calor 7kg butane bottle for a 6kg propane cylinder, Regards Mike T

Guest Mel B
We've never had a probelm in swapping bottle sizes (both up and down), or the types of gas at all, in fact the only problem we've ever encountered was just before we went to France. We wanted to exchange an empty 13kg red bottle for another, no problem there then, the local Calor Gas company duly delivered a full one and took away the old one about 2 weeks before our holiday. We then found we needed the smaller bottle changing a few days before and again no problem. But, the day before our holiday, when my husband came to put the large bottle in the gas locker, it wouldn't fit. It was an older style bottle and was an inch or so taller and a bit fatter than our previous bottle and wouldn't go in the locker, even without our back-up smaller cylinder - it was simply too tall. My husband then had to make a quick dash to the Calor Centre on the morning we were due to go away as they couldn't get the delivery driver back to us in time to exchange the 'tall' bottle before we left. So if you do get exchange bottled look at them carefully and make sure they are the same, or at least will fit in your lockers as soon as you get them to avoid the hassle we had. (In reality I wish we'd never had any gas at all!)

Guest Tony Downes
I gave up using calor many years ago for this very reason that no one would swap butane for propane (winter use) or sizes. I stated using smaller suppliers like flowgas who have no problem whatever you want and the bottles are NO deposit. My last motorhome needed 2 x 15kg bottles and when I changed last year the new one only took 7kg bottles so he gave me 4 for the old 2 with no problem. Why bother with these difficult companies when it is so simple with others.

Guest Derek Uzzell
The only telling reason for choosing Calor is the company's national network. With Calor you can be reasonably confident that you can exchange a bottle obtained in Abergavenny when you are camping in Aberdeen. Not something you could expect to do with a bottle from a more 'regional' company like Flo-Gas. Calor bottle-exchange difficulties seem to occur not so much from Calor policy but from its interpretation by Calor outlets. I've always been able to exchange propane for butane, 3.9kg for 6kg, etc. (within the Calor rules) but I've found some Calor agencies who would only swap bottles on an exactly like-for-like basis and others who couldn't care less as long as you paid.

Archived