Cam belt 09 x250

bromleyxphil

Everyone and his dog seems to be telling me that my cam belt is no due to be changed a couple of questions for some advice

Is it desperate on this model

does the water pump need replacing as well

how much will it cost me

does anybody know a good garage to do it close to Bolton

Thanks

Phil

On mileage basis it is not required at present, but on age I would do it now. Vehicle first reg 2009 we don't know when engine actually built as chassis could have been in stock with AutoTrail for a period before coversion done. As far as water pump goes they have to take it off to renew timing belt common industry good practice is to change it at the same time as timing belt.

You could try BT Fleet I believe they have a workshop in Preston:-

http://www.btfleet.com/GarageNetwork/Garage-Network-Postcode-Search-Results.aspx?d=vTipmdsiCog%3d

I am sorry I cannot give you an idea of how much it may cost

Forgive the correction but I had to say that the water pump does not have to be removed to change the cam belt on this engine. It is advisable though because we have had a couple fail (albeit at very high mileages) and they can be obtained from motor factors for about £65 plus VAT.

The parts are cheap but the labour expensive so get tensioners,pulleys, belts and the pump changed at the same time.

Mine is 2009, but on a 2007 base, is booked in for next month, having had a belt go on a car it is a precaution worth taking. Quoted £400 all in.

Here in the Southeast I was quoted about £600 for water pump and all the bits by one garage, I am still waiting for a quote from the local Fiat agent.

My usual garage would not quote, as special tools are required, an he only has 2 or 3 Fiat X250 on his books and the tools were too expensive.

Rgds

When it came to the 4 year service and MOT on our 2007 X250, the Fiat garage simply refused to do the MOT unless the cam belt was first changed. I believe this is a FIAT directive to them that it has to be changed every 4 years...this to avoid any claim against the garage/MOT testing station if it breaks whilst the MOT is being done- which they all claim is a possibility.

I did check with several FIAT garages ,and got the same response, and I suppose the argument they put forward in support is that as the belt is 'rubber' or similar, it technically, like tyres, starts its 'active' life from the day it is put onto the vehicle, and that therefore means it is not mileage base but age related.

It does seem to me it is one of these requirements which tests the engine well beyond what would happen in real usage, just for some paperwork to say the emissions are at a certain level.

On another thread Nick (euroserv) said they had a close shave on one of their vans when they used to change the belts at 200k now reduce the change to 175k.

My last van still had the original belt when I sold it at just under 6 years old, It was registered only a couple months after the chassis was built, if I had brought it of a forecourt it could have easily been a couple of years old before registering so I was quite happy to let it run for 7 years.

Had my 2007 X250 done here in France in end of 2012 and although the cambelt was in a fairly good condition the water pump was weeping. Mileage was around the 40000km (25000 miles). Local fiat professional dealer wanted over €1000 8-) to do the job but went somewhere else for less than half the price.

bromleyxphil - 2014-08-14 9:35 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I have been quoted between £470 and £920 for the job. Could do with a few more suggestions as to where to have it done.

Do any of you know an x250 that has thrown a cam belt?

Phil

As has been recommended Walton Summit Trucks can carry out what ever service you need. They are very highly recommended. They service all the Fiat ambulances in the area. They can also do habitation checks and servicing of fridges and heating systems.

Archived