Camping Calpe mar

frenchman

Hello all!

I am looking at camping Calpe mar for a winter layover, reviews sound good as do pics of site.

Anyone had experience of this site?

Like to know your views and comments, like can I get my autotrail Delaware on a pitch easily, how much is wifi, is the site in general a good long stay site.

I've seen photos of Calpe and it looks like a very nice place for winter.

All comments much appreciated! Ta!

i was there 2 years ago in February and a lot of the local bars and restaurants were closed. When i asked a local why? he said that a lot of the hotels are doing 'all inclusive winter sun deals' so the bars don't get the customers like they use to. I didn't stay on the campsite, i stayed on one of the aires up near the Lidl. There were a lot of motorhomes just parked up on side roads. I found Calpe disappointing and dirty.

We stayed at Calpe Mar from the first year it opened. Been back every year since, but not in winter. It has expanded to twice the size now. many people go every year, so yes a lot of regulars. It suited us , as close to town and supermarkets, as we had no other transport (Bikes). The original pitches are small, but all the new ones are much bigger, and will take 8mters easy. Some will take even large vans, BUT will be already booked. As has been stated it will be full, usually 12 months in advance! There are now 2 other camps in Calpe, as parking on the road is now not allowed , as a lot of new building going on.

from a personable view, we liked Calpe , as not too touristy , as is a working town.

Much better than Benidorm, where many spend the winter! This year you got 1 hour free wi-fi a day!

PJay

sshortcircuit - 2018-09-19 10:10 AM

Had a look round a couple of years ago but not for us. As said earlier, town shuts down out of season, so white box syndrome kicks in. I prefer down the road in Benidorm, which is 24/7 and plenty to entertain also you can take it or leave it as sites are on fringe. Price at Calpe looked pretty steep?

Not our cup of tea (Benidorm) TOO hilly and loud .BUt then just as well we don't all like the same places.

They are in ACSI for winter , so prices which include water/ehu plus emptying all on pitch , pretty fair IMO

(You pays your money and get your choice !!)

"TOO hilly". Are you sure you have been to the right place? I have difficulty in walking and this is one place that is ideal. Great to walk along the very level sea front and see the numerous senior Spanish enjoying the place.

Funny, when I was going to post I thought there is one person that will reply with a negative, you did not disappoint.

We stayed there 12 months ago, but only for a week. The bars and restaurants on the seafront were all open and busy, so we ate out every day.

The internal roads are a bit narrow with tight 90° corners, but the longest of vans got round with a bit of manouvering.

I've made a video of the approach roads which includes the roads inside the site. You can see the width of the roads and the sizes of the pitches to give you some idea - hope this helps.

Caddies104 - 2018-09-20 10:50 AM

Wow, great video. More of a car park than a site are they all like that? Put me off wintering..

I think the idea of spending a whole winter; say 6-12 weeks in just one location is scary! Particularly if the weather is less than perfect.

We’ve done three 6 week trips and never managed more than 8 nights on a single site. We noticed that the downside of touring over winter was that we couldn’t be certain that we would find a pitch in a particular area when we wanted. Also; if we did get a pitch, it was usually a rubbish one, a leftover.

We are just thinking about 2019, and really not sure what to do.

Regards, Snowie

snowie - 2018-09-20 1:54 PM
Caddies104 - 2018-09-20 10:50 AMWow, great video. More of a car park than a site are they all like that? Put me off wintering..
I think the idea of spending a whole winter; say 6-12 weeks in just one location is scary! Particularly if the weather is less than perfect.We’ve done three 6 week trips and never managed more than 8 nights on a single site. We noticed that the downside of touring over winter was that we couldn’t be certain that we would find a pitch in a particular area when we wanted. Also; if we did get a pitch, it was usually a rubbish one, a leftover.We are just thinking about 2019, and really not sure what to do.Regards, Snowie

Presumably the campsites near the tourist coasts are full (and cram in as many units as possible) while the other, eg inland, sites in Spain close for the winter?  I can't say that I fancy spending a whole winter (or even more than the odd night) on a site like Calpe Mare.

StuartO - Presumably the campsites near the tourist coasts are full (and cram in as many units as possible) while the other, eg inland, sites in Spain close for the winter?  I can't say that I fancy spending a whole winter (or even more than the odd night) on a site like Calpe Mare.

In 2014 we tried Murcia area, and had trouble getting on coastal sites, but went inland , stayed on a site at Navajos, and another ACSI at El Berro, villages with places to eat.But the coast in winter sun is what we go for! But so does everybody else.Did return ferry to Bilbao last 2 years, but £800 round trip might be ott. Inland Portugal also had hilights. At least you can get some variety by keeping on the move, and we’ve probably got a list of sites and an idea for a route taking in the memorable sites and locations,We’ll see, but we won’t be booking, and unlikely to include CalpeRegards, Snowie

Great video, showing you what passes for a pitch in southern Spain. But wouldn't a caravan be more appropriate for a long stay?

Each to their own, but we never stop for more than three days anywhere, and travel out of peak season, which, as has been noted, often means that facilities are closed.

Guest pelmetman
Caddies104 - 2018-09-20 10:50 AM

Wow, great video. More of a car park than a site are they all like that? Put me off wintering..

Curiously we thought the same back in 2010 when we went Spain for our first time winter in the sun......and tried to get on for the night ;-) .........

Now its our winter home B-) ........and cant wait to get back :D .......

There is a new site 200 yds up the road which opened last year and was cheaper.......and that's deffo a car park :D .......

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2018-09-20 3:39 PM

Great video, showing you what passes for a pitch in southern Spain. But wouldn't a caravan be more appropriate for a long stay?

Each to their own, but we never stop for more than three days anywhere, and travel out of peak season, which, as has been noted, often means that facilities are closed.

Which is why we have a caravan in storage in Spain.......and they'll both fit on a standard pitch with our trailer ;-) ............admittedly its only on one standard pitch as they do vary in size :-> ........

As for the 3 day bit ........I used to be like that years ago :-S .......

But after 26+ years of mohoing my itchy feet no longer need scratching :D .........

Guest pelmetman
frenchman - 2018-09-18 7:08 PM

Hello all!

I am looking at camping Calpe mar for a winter layover, reviews sound good as do pics of site.

Anyone had experience of this site?

Like to know your views and comments, like can I get my autotrail Delaware on a pitch easily, how much is wifi, is the site in general a good long stay site.

I've seen photos of Calpe and it looks like a very nice place for winter.

All comments much appreciated! Ta!

Just googled a Delaware which say's its 8 mtrs?........So would be tight on a standard pitch, large pitches tend to get booked up a year ahead, that said they do get cancellations ;-) ........

Wifi is as PJ said is now free for an hour a day, we use a combination of my contract 3 dongle and site wifi as we're heavy tinternet users as I like to stay in touch with my chums on O&L.......much to their annoyance :D ............

Apart from that there's a Lidel within easy walking distant that sells the same Rioja as they do in the UK .....except its £1.50 in Spain......and £5.50 here 8-) ........

The prom is 5 minutes walk away.......you can get a nice 3 course meal with a bottle of wine for 2 for 30 quid on the prom......

Just to add I seem to recall I paid 90 euro's for 400 hours tinternet :-S ........But you could just email them and ask ;-) ............

Well after 50 years touring around I still get itchy feet, I get bored sitting in one place for any time. So many places to see, so little time! And that's what I see motorhomes for.

My mate spent seven weeks this summer on one campsite, often in 40C!

(At €90 a night in August!)

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2018-09-20 5:07 PM

Well after 50 years touring around I still get itchy feet, I get bored sitting in one place for any time. So many places to see, so little time! And that's what I see motorhomes for.

90 euro's a night 8-) ..........I wouldn't pay that for a hotel :-S .........

Have to say my travelling bug no longer needs to go further than Spain for the winter :D .........

We had hoped to spend the late spring and early summer in Europe now that we're fulltime......unfortunately the MIL's dementia means we're having to take our share of the family burden in the summer :-| ........

Although I'm currently going a bit stir crazy in the UK 8-) ...........

"Well after 50 years touring"

BTW If I include my time touring in my parents Thompson Glenevis caravan then I'd be over 50 years :D ........Still remember the 6 of us in that 4 birth 8-) ........even have the cheapo pink East German clock we had B-) ........

Made before the EU was invented (lol) ............

..well..if an hour a day's free wifi AND a Lidl that sells cheap plonk isn't going to sway you, I guess nothing will. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-09-20 5:28 PM

..well..if an hour a day's free wifi AND a Lidl that sells cheap plonk isn't going to sway you, I guess nothing will. (lol)

Give us your anecdotes and experience of your time across the ditch then Pepe? ;-) .........

Archived