Camping in Eire - any hints

Guest Derek

Guest Derek
We are taking our Tracker motorhome to Ireland in August. Is there any need to pre-book sites away from the main cities? Are there any CS/CL type sites there? and if so how do I find out about them?

Guest Peter Goddard
We are off today for 3 weeks, if we find any "special" places I'll post them when we get back, late April.

Guest Chris Norbury
Ireland is a lovely country and the people are very friendly. If you use Butane make sure you take enough for your holiday - otherwise its a trip to N Ireland where you can get a supply from a large hardware shop in Inniskillen. Try looking at www.camping-ireland.ie or www. tourismireland.com. I should imagine August will be very busy so maybe best to book ahead. Sorry we do not know of any CL's. Hope you enjoy your trip and the sun shines - we have never seen rain like we did! Tramore is a super site near the sea and close to Waterford. Are you sailing to Rosslare if so stay overnight at St Margarets!!

Guest Aileen
Derek I'm not sure what CL's are but here are a few hints. You must not miss the South West. These are a few sites that I have stayed in which are in spectacular locations. Dowlings in Glengariff, Co Cork. Eagle Point in Bantry, Co Cork (no dogs). Wave Crest in Derrynane, Co Kerry. Mannix Point, Cahirciveen, Co Kerry. O'Connors, Doolin, Co Clare - Nagles also in Doolin. Lough Derg, Killaloe, Co Clare. Wave Crest must be my favourite and if the weather is fine you won't find a more spectacular site in the world. I'm a bit biased about the South West as I live there! Though I'm sure there are lots of other really good sites. With regard to August - remember that the Bank Holiday in Ireland is at the start of the month - I think the 1st. It might be advisable to book that weekend - other than that there shouldn't be a problem. Don't get a shock when you see height barriers at picnic areas in certain areas. We are certainly not anti Motorhome here - it's just that we have to try and protect these areas from being thrashed by sections of the community that move caravans onto these amenity areas and stay for weeks on end - hence the height barrier. You should have a great time. Pack you're rain coat - but don't forget your shorts - you never know! Aileen

Guest Noreen
Hi Derek We live in the South West of Ireland. First thing call to any tourist office and get the booklet Caravan and Camping this will give you all the main sites. Sites tend to be more relaxed here than in the UK. The August Bank Holiday here falls on 1st August and the place to be for me that weekend is in Strandhill, Co. Sligo- all Ireland surf boarding finals are on and the site is practically on the beach and great fun. Our favourite site in the south west-Kerry is "Glenross" in Glenbeigh Co. Kerry the site is in the village nice pubs good sing song and a beautiful beach 3 Miles out called Rossbeigh. Hope you have a great time. Noreen

Archived