Camping on Board/All Inclusive Italy- Greece Ferries Dec & Jan

JeffersonCampervan

I'm driving solo with our dog from NL to Greece & back in December and January . (in a 6.9 m Hymer B654, picking up my wife at Athens Airport).

It appears that I can't stay in the Hymer during the crossing in the winter months (although some online info indicates that the smaller lines out of Bari or Brindisi will turn a blind eye to this "Camping on Board" if the crossing is calm).

So I'm tending towards the "camping all inclusive" option on Minoan out of Ancona to Patras.

However I can't get a single cabin in the camping all inclusive plan - minimum is double occupancy. And they won't let a dog into a shared double occupancy. So they tell me that I can't book camping all inclusive if I want a single occupancy pet cabin (I won't put our dog in the kennels).

So, I thought, what if I buy two passages via camping all inclusive, in order to get a double pet cabin for myself, one ticket for myself and one for my wife, but my wife doesn't actually board the ferry? It's all EU, so does anyone know if i.d. and number of passengers boarding the ferry are actually checked? (eg. this would never work on a flight). Anybody have any relevant experience? (pardon me if this questions is stupid - we're Canadian and have never taken a European ferry , so we literally have no idea - Minoan of course is telling me to book everything a la carte, which adds quite a bit over camping all inclusive).

Another question - is it better to just show up and buy passage at the port, or book in advance?

Having used this route and collected from Athens airport, perhaps I can help.

First find the actual times and dates from from the timetable on the Minoan site, then use one of the internet ferry booking sites, a ferry, direct ferries, ferry savers, to book. Carry out a trial booking to establish the best deal. You can book vehicle type and pet option and then select cabin option, all independent of passanger number. This may be more expensive than camping on board, but I would not think it would be significant.

You get a booking reference number from the booking site.

At Ancona go to the booking office and collect tickets before joining the line of trafic for the ferry. I had to show passport ID to collect the the tickets but don't recall any passport control.

You will be on the truck deck and may have to reverse into position.

Athens airport has a hight restriction at the pickup points for cars, I used the bus only lane and waiting area .Having phone communication with the pick up passanger ensured we met up.

Winter tyres may be required assuming leaving from NL

Practical points on the ferry. The deck maybe oil covered, check when returning to the van.

Depending on the position on the deck you may get salt deposit on the van from the ventilation ports.

Mike

Thanks Mike - the airport pickup tip is very useful.
From the sounds of it, I wouldn't be able to create a phantom 2nd ticket for camping all inclusive. The price difference is significant - For camping all inclusive I get a cabin for the deck price of €69 + €25 for the dog, without it I pay about €300 for a single occupancy pet cabin. That's each way, so difference is about €400 within an approximately €950 total fare.
If I thought camping on board was a sure thing, I'd do Brindisi - Igoumenitsa. But it seems to be at best unpredictable that time of year.

mikefitz - 2019-10-30 4:09 PM  ... I had to show passport ID to collect the the tickets ... Mike

One more question Mike - did you have to produce passports for each passenger to obtain the tickets, or was your passport alone sufficient to collect all tickets?

I wouldn't expect passport control, just wondering about the i.d. required to obtain the tickets at the port.

I would recommend contacting an American guy called Dale at Viamare.com.

I've been using this company for many years to book my crossings to Greece. He knows his stuff and will get you the best price inc any discounts you may be entitled to. If there is a way to get the crossing you require he will know how to get it.

You also get your tickets posted to you as opposed to an online 'reference number'.

http://www.viamare.com/

Pete

Archived