Campsite not far from Nice

kevandali

Happy New Year you lovely lot.
I am really planning ahead and not leaving things to the last moment for a change!
Been invited to a posh wedding slightly east of Nice, will enclose a pic.
However.... I have a feeling there are no campsites or Aires in the area that will allow us to attend the wedding as we plan to be away a week before the wedding and prolong our stay afterwards.
Going to continue looking but thought if there is somewhere handy then maybe one of you lot might have been there recently.
thanks in advance.
Kev
PS Not sure if the picture has attached but the actual area is Saint Jean Cap Ferrat

Nice.thumb.jpg.8d8a2596c43bf39b0ccdbd5e9285b4a0.jpg

Gorgeous region and very pretty. We've only ever stayed in a hotel. I can't find any aires and the nearest campsite I can find is to the West of Nice about 22km away from the wedding.

Camping Caravanning MAGALI

Address: 1814, Baroness Road, 06700, Saint Laurent Du Var, France

Web: https://www.camping-magali.com/

Email: info@camping-magali.com

Tel: +33 (0) 4 93 31 57 00

GPS: 43 ° 42'53.0 "N - 7 ° 10'37.8" E

GPS: 43.714726, 7.177171

Spaces: 69 places for tourists

I know the area fairly well and as said there isnt much in the immediate area. We found a handful of ACSI sites to the west and slightly inland. The one we stayed at was this one.

Le Vallon Rouge (ACSI Campsite) La Colle Sur Loup. Price in 2015 €14.

GPS: 43.68458, 7.07325

Its about 20 miles from where you want to be though and as these sites are west of St Jean your going to have to factor in getting across Nice which can be pretty busy and a bit of a nightmare. It was a good base for us that site though as we have a scooter so just used that. You would probably be best staying somewhere like that and hiring a car if you dont have secondary transport.

There is a full guide to that area and the whole of the Cote D'Azur you can download from my website. https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/downloads

Try Camping Logis de la Brague. We stayed there in September 2017. It’s an old traditional French campsite, a bit tired, but perfectly clean and acceptable.

It’s a bit noisy, but again it depends if you’re used to traffic, (we’re not).

On the coastal road between Nice and Antibes. Railway station on opposite side of road. Fast frequent connections east or west. Wife’s uncle lives in Juan les Pins. We used the train daily.

Great Boulongerie up the road, and decent Supermarket also, both 10 mins. walk.

Personally I would stay West of Nice say St Laurent-du-Var or Cagnes-sur-Mer area. There is a greater choice of sites in this area. Then travel in along Boulevard des Anglais, not on the Voie de Pierre Mathis. At the old town area stick to the beach and go round the harbour then up on what is now designated the M6098 towards Cap de Nice and Villefranche-sur-Mer. (38 Mins drive on Google maps) Fantastic views of Villefranche-sur-Mer from this coast road!

(The motorway takes you through the centre of Nice and is hectic. The Promenade des Anglais has lots of lights but does tend to move and is quite straightforward and direct)

If you do go to a Campsite in the East such as Camping de la Laune, you will still either have to come down into Nice centre as there are no North South roads in this area other than tiny hairpin roads. (34 mins on google maps) It really is very hilly in this area.

Yer pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Jeremy

kevandali’s original question was whether there was anywhere handy to stay in a motorhome near to the wedding venue - and there is no campsite/aire that meets that requirement..

The logistics of this exercise are more complicated than just picking a campsite as, unless parking for the motorhome can be found at or close to the wedding venue (as breakaleg suggests) an overnight stay in a nearby hotel/B&B seems to be the best plan. Choosing to stay on a campsite to the west or east of Nice and attending the wedding would involve either a single long taxi journey, or a ‘multi-trip’ journey comprising public transport (train/tram/bus) plus a taxi.

Lets cut to the chase.

There are no campsites in Nice, nor east of it unless you're Philip Green, rip off pensioners and can park in Monte Carlo.

You need to camp outside of the city and catch the train in.

Camping Hippodrome (oh how I hate to share such gems, but to be fair a fellow forum member put me on to this site a few years ago)

Right then - Camping Hippodrome in Velleneuve Loubet, it's a great location in a bay between Nice and Antibes. It has both a bus and excellent rail service running along the coast, and there is a railway station in Villeneuve Loubet which will take you in to Nice, and if you fall asleep, to Monte Carlo, and then on to the Italian border.

Hi a second thumbs up for Camping Hippodrome. Two small drawbacks, we were there last September and got quite a lot of midge bites, they do not take advance bookings. When there we went to Monaco on the train and Nice on the bus, both trips cheap and easy.

Regards David

As above, the nearest, reasonably motorhome accessible campsites are around Cagnes-sur-Mer, west of Nice.

There are railway stations at Villeneuve-Loubet (Camping Parc des Maurettes 0.2 miles), Biot (Camping les Embruns 0.1 miles), de l'Hippodrome de la Cote-d'Azur (Camping de l'Hippodrome 0.6 miles), from which you can get a train to Nice Ville, outside which there is, as Monique suggests, a bus stop, from which you should be able to get a bus to Cap-Ferrat.

Alternatively, there is a railway station at Beaulieu-sur-Mer, about 1 mile from your venue. You'll obviously need to check train/bus times and frequencies. Assuming the trains run with reasonable frequency, I think I'd get the train to Beaulieu rather than changing to a bus, and just walk the odd mile to the venue.

I don't think it would be at all wise to try to get your van to the venue as Avenue Ephrussi de Rothschild is a narrow cul de sac with no turning sace at its end. It is also in the centre of France's most motorhome hostile area!

Archived