Car trailers and campsites - any problems?

frogstar

Hello all,

I'm looking into towing a small car on a trailer behind our motorhome. It seems that a trailer will be around 5m long overall and 2m wide. Do people who tow similar outfits encounter any friction when booking or arriving at sites? The combination of motorhome, awning, car and trailer takes up a fair amount of space on a pitch. Our touring includes UK, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal and potentially all points in Europe. I've looked on the two big club sites but don't see any statement from them about the acceptability of trailers.

Yes, I know about A-frames but I'm specifically researching the trailer option at the moment. If you have any other feedback on towing something like a VW Up! or similar approx 1000kg car, on a minimal trailer behind a 6m Fiat Ducato conversion I'll be glad to hear it. I have a B+E license and have signed up for a towing course.

Many thanks,

Simon

I towed a small car on an Ifor Williams CT136 car transporter (which is a bit longer than some) trailer for several years, mostly touring abroad. the oufit was a delight to tow (your never noticed it being behind you) and I always managed one way or another to park it when we stopped overnight, even on relatively cramped Aires.

Only once did a UK campsite warden ask me to park the trailer away from the MH pitch and likewise only once on a Portugese campsite there was a dedicated trailer parking area, but this was never a pain. Most times I was able to leave the trailer hitched up unless I wanted to detach it.

I had previous used an A Frame and I found the trailer much easier and safer - not to mention that I was also able to load booze into the car on the trailer for the trip home rather than risk overloading the MH.

I gave up taking a tow car purely because we found we didn't really need a car and using the MH on its own met our touring requirements adequately, except for having to risk overloading the MH with booze on the way home! (And I've recently bought a luggage trailer to take with us to overcome that problem.)

Hi Simon - Re your 'Car Trailers' etc. question -

Since 2009 whilst towing our 'Towbars2Towcars' - 'A' Framed Peugeot 107 have we encounter a problem but once, this being on the Med. when the site staff insisted (or should I say they attempted) to charge us for both MH & Tow Car. They pointed out that the MH's with Car Trailers (& Motor Cycles) had already accepted extra charges !

Our simple, logical argument was that, when on the allocated pitched, there was no difference of 'area occupation' when compared to the 'Cars & Caravans', further when the inevitable 'Caravan Awning' was brought into the equation, it was difficult to understand the site's thinking, and by the same 'Method of Logic', every Caravan should also be charged additional to the car that towed it to the site!

We Left the site never to return...I am happy to provide the site details if requested... Take care...

Mr David Adams.

We towed a Peugeot 108 on an Ifor Williams CT115 car trailer behind our M/H for a year or two and had absolutely no issues on any site, Club x 2 or commercial.

But we got fed up with the effort involved in loading and unloading and the space it took up at home. We now tow a scooter on a smaller Ifor Williams ramped trailer. It's a lot easier to load, store and manhandle. And the scooter is even easier to park when you go into town etc.

But not quite so good when it rains .... :'(

I towed a Smart on a trailer for six years and only once, on a CAMC site in Norfolk, did the warden ask for the trailer to be put in a compound. Even then, he towed it there with his little tractor and his motivation might even have been for improved security.

In Europe, very often I left the trailer hitched.

Archived