Caravan Club and motorhomes

Guest Audrey

Guest Audrey
We think you pays your money and makes your choice. In our case we use our CC Visa card for everything and get and use site night vouchers, since this scheme we have never paid to stay on a CC site. We would use CLs if they were situated near a shop/pub or public transport, once the 'van is sited we don't wish to move it until we leave. We feel most CC sites/CLs are only convenient for tuggers who have their car as transport. When in Europe we use aires in small towns/villages and patronise the local shops unless staying for several days when we have found excellent small sites including hookup at very little cost.

Guest Geoff
Have you read the August C.C. magazine and seen what the C.C. Chairman thinks of you using aires etc. in Europe?. He feels that your low cost/ free camping is being paid for by "responsible caravanners" and should be made illegal. He obviously has no idea of what motorhome use is all about and is only concerned with making more money for the Club to spend. I have written to the Caravan Club and made my feelings known and advised them that after 20yrs. of membership I will not be renewing my membership next year.

I too was a little surprised a couple of weeks ago at an extra charge I didnt know existed (Ok my fault). I have a small trailer for my Smart car that I use about twice a year. A £1 a night extra was charged for the trailer if I took my car off the trailer. I was informed I had extra axles if I took it off. I payed for a standard pich with awning. I dont use an awning. I was told that the club rules state an extra pound a night for a trailer. Seeing as caravaners cant tow a trailer and a motorhome can it seems again the motorhomer is being pushed around. I have been a CC member for 35 years if I rememer. The only reason I use the smart is that it enables my partner who is disabled to get around outside the site. Caravaners can put up an awning as big as the Albert Hall at the side of their twin wheel caravan and set camp up with windbreaks and the lot. Does my head in.

Guest PeteC
What is the difference between a motorhome towing a trailer and a car towing a caravan Do they charge twin axel caravans extra??????????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wilf N
Dear Audrey You have hit a sore note with The Caravan Club and its greed antics.During 2004/5 I decided to casually have off the record chats to many many CC wardens and the same answer came back GREED. They have always been much more for caravans and we motorhomers help fill pitches. You just need to read there magazine to find e caravan test is comprehensive but a motorhome test is normally covered in less than a page if you take the so called photos out.After many many years I have now switched most of my touring to The C&CC. Much more relaxed atmosphere from very friendly site operatives along with a chat that doesnt rubbish there club. As for cheap sites abroad. I have just had 6 weeks along the Med and they cater fully for motorhomes NOT CARAVANS so who is supporting this? Keep cheerful Wilf N.

Archived