Caravan Club - yet again

Guest Teresa

Guest Teresa
I was going to apologise for returning to this subject but I think it is an important issue. I wrote to them on a number of subjects, but specifically about foreign aires. In their reply. (which I think because of the many complaints they have received is a general one, slightly altered to make it look individual) they say they were not complaining about community sponsored aires only wild camping. Perhaps this is a bit of back-tracking. They also stated that they felt my criticism about the club not covering the interests of motorhomers was not justified. They finished off by saying "The Chairman takes heed of the general tone of dissatisfation expressed in your letter and would fully understand it if you decided not to continue your membership of The Caravan Club". I think this about says it all. I shall be very vocal on their stand at Shepton Mallet!!!!!!!

Guest Wilf Nicholson
Hi Teresa, I to am a Caravan Club fan after a touring holiday in Southern Italy/France in my motorthome.After purchasing the clubs new camping cheques we set off and had no trouble until we arrived at San Remo. I booked in for 5 nights and after receiving a verbal cost I told them that I would be paying by the Caravan Club Camping Chques. No way she said and promptly snatched back all the paperwork stating that they were full so one night was all we could stay and leave by 8am. In a state of shock we rang to complain to Camping Cheque but as usual no one had heard us or rang back. At the NEC in Birmingham I approached the CC stand, explained the situation and the usual snooty manner kicked in, no joy. It seems to me and dozens of my friends that the so called CARAVAN CLUB is just that. They will gladly take our subs, rip us off with ferry prices and bleed us with site fees but listen they DO NOT. We have for the last 20 months used The C&C Club. More laid back attitude from wardens, discount for over 55 and a much more friendly approach to ALL staff. The ferry prices are better also. Over the last few months several topics against the Caravan Clubs attitude to motorhome have been posted on websites and magazines but they still remain static. The only way is to hit them in their already fat wallet by moving to other sites. Stay Happy, Wilf

I have just moved my MH insurance from the C&C ClubI got my renewal paper work 1 week before it was due to run out Luckyly I read it through straight away the lenght of foreign travel had been reduced from 180 days annually (90 days at any one time) to 60 days total I found two suitable alternatives SAGA who allowed 360 days in any year and Caravan Club who gave me 180 days as before with the max o any trip to be 180 days I chose the latter as amily demands require us to return home after 90 days

Guest Mike C
Hello Teresa, At least you received a reply to your letter. Having written to the CC two weeks ago about the very very rude way my wife was spoken to by a site warden, when asking some questions about the site facilities, we have not even received an acknowledgement of our letter. We are not identified as Motor Caravanners so presumably the Caravanners also get the same high handed treatment. Generally I have found the CC to be good in all our dealings with them, until this one incident which I hope is a one-off. They will be very foolish to discriminate in any way against Motor Caravanners as these are and will continue to be a growing and sizeable part of the membership. Most of the sites now have MC Service Points and allow members to use these facilities even if not staying on site (Have seen this on three sites to date). Regards, Mike C.

Guest martin
I've written before about this and what I believe CEO Trevor's long term game plan is... At the risk of becoming a bore, can I just ask you to think back and consider the history of our two motoring organisations: the AA and RAC. Both organisations started with the very same mutual aspirations as the Caravan Club. Both are now impersonal conglomerates. The Caravan Club is now poised to go the same way; make some executives very rich, and become yet another faceless conglomerate which, despite a obsequious mission statement, will exist to make profit and nothing else! Members might be able to stop it now ... but as with Standard Life and many other mutual financial institutions greed will ultimately win and the few of us who have a clear vision of the future too disorganised to do anything. Simply escape in your van while you can I say!

Archived