Caravan Mover recommendation please

sandalwood

Best will depend on the type of caravan to be moved and the chassis. For example, whether single or twin axle, the caravan's payload, and the chassis - I think they bolt on AL-KO.

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/datasheets/choosing-caravan-motor-mover/

Suggest your friend goes on the Caravan & Motorhome Club forum and asks questions. From what I see at campsites, they're a very useful aid for caravanners.

Had one on our last two caravans. On a single axle it was fine but our last one, a Powertouch, that we had on a twin axle was truly dreadful. Fitted by the dealer we bought the van from, it just wasn't up to the job, very very slow and wouldn't turn, had to push the 'van round corners to help it. Even had Powertouch Engineer out twice and he just hummed and hawed and recommended we fit a special twin axle unit for another £1200.

At one of the shows I looked at the Truma twin axle one and that looked really good and seemed to work fine. I will add that at the last show in October I was just researching for my son who's bought a 'van and it seems both Powertouch and Truma, although they've always been owned by the same German lady, are now merging as one company so not sure how that will affect their efficiency.

I would STRONGLY recommend that if it's for a twin axle you check v carefully that it works as you expect. Both of them have demo units so just check them out before committing the £1k plus. BTW dead easy to fit, just bolt on to the chassis, I'm pretty sure no drilling

None of the units are hard to fit, but performance does vary. The multi speed ones are the best with soft start.

Powertouch didn't give the best factory support and some of the early handsets they made obsolete well before we would have expected. Good for our repair business, but bad if you lost the handset and had to buy a later model full system to replace the handset and controller unit.

Whatever you do, get a top make wet acid Dual purpose/Starter battery, for why, see more info here :

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/motor-movers.php

Archived