Caravan V Motorhome

Guest Julie Alderson

Guest Julie Alderson
Hi all, We have been reading MMM for a while now and drooling at all kinds of motorhomes! However at the present time we are stuck with our faithful canvas and hope for a dry summer. It seems a hard decision to make choosing a motorhome that will take quite a battering over the next few years, hubby just retired! needing reliable and secure and sturdy rather than failing and weak and leaking. We started to discuss maybe until we live someplace with a motorhome parking space (off road) we might opt for a caravan that can stay in storage???? Has anyone owned a caravan before motorhoming? and if so what are the positive and negatives of both? My parents have a caravan and I have seen the work that goes into the proper care of a caravan along with the pain of towing. A big question in my mind is; do motorhome owners sometimes wish they had a caravan they could leave at site because of access bars in car parks and other places denying them entry? Another question is; We have seen a Compass 400/200 we like (new) and fittings seem to match the labels inside prestigious model motorhomes, has anyone purchased one of these and decided they made the right choice? The one thing we remain doubtful of is the chassis, we realise that most of the motorhomes we like has a fiat/peugeot base vehicle. We both need convincing that this would be a wise investment. Thanks in advance for your wise help Jules and Charles

Guest David Powell
I started motor caravanning when petrol was about 'half a crown' a gallon then as the family got bigger I could not afford a bigger motor caravan and a car so I got a big enough caravan for the family and a big cheap car to tow it. The children did not like the caravan as they could no longer stay in bed between sites, but we liked it because we could go out to remote places down narrow lanes, and into towns and park with no problem. BUT now when we arrived on sites we could no longer drive in (usually in the rain) all stay in side put the kettle on and put the feet up and have a nice relaxing cuppa. OH NO that was all just a pleasant memory! Now we got out in rain, put on the wellies (Green ones if you have a Range Rover)hat & mac, level up side ways, unhitch, move the car,level up fore & aft, wind the corner steadies down (now the rain gets up your jacket)fetch an aquaroll of water & plug in the pump, get out the drain pipes and can and plug that lot in, find some where to hang your wet clothes. Then disillusioned and exhausted you settle down in the caravan and start searching through MMM for a motor caravan. Still remembering that all that lot has to be done in reverse when you leave, except that takes twice as long as everything has to be properly stowed away. Then there is the awning! and if that is wet! well, need I go on? Don't let me sway you either way, that is just a FEW basic facts. Having said that we have both, but use the motor caravan most of the time. It all depends what you need the motor caravan or touring caravan for. Take a long long time to think it out, or you may finish up like me, STILL DON'T KNOW !! WATCH THIS SPACE !!

Guest Dave B
One point not mentioned by Dave Powell is the safety factor when towing, often in the summer I have noticed caravan and car involved in an accident, remember when towing you have an articulated vehicle, and now it is possible to tow at 60mph and the tail can wag the dog. Just for this Motorhomes are a must for me and my family. Doesn't have to be Fiat you still can by Ford, V.W Mercerdes in all types but I agree at a price. If price is the problem buy used, because they can be bought with very low milage.

Guest Clive
We have had both Motorhomes and caravans over the years since 1972 when we purchased our first Bedford Dormobile on a Bedford CF base with the BIG 2.3 litre engine. We ran that for 12 years as our only vehicle. It took us and our two children all over France, Spain and Italy. In that time I fitted a Hi-Top and totally re-fitted the vehicle and did a similar job on my father-in-laws VW Danbury. Then, because cash was tight and we had lay offs at work and no overtime I purchased a cheap car to run, Vauxhall Astra estate Diesel and a moderate sized caravan that was really to big for the car. We ran the caravan for several weeks! Then we purchased a 13 year old 29 seater coach which I converted to a motorhome. By now we had also purchased a Land Rover Discovery. We ran the coach for 8 years and then passed her onto some youngsters who painted her green and took her to Ireland. Then we got another up-market caravan to tow behind the Land rover. Ran that van for 2 years, broke the tow coupling of the van due to excessive nose weight and had to get it welded up in Beziers in the South of France. Came home, traded in the van for a bespoke Autotrail Scout motorhome on a Mercedes chassis. We are now sure we are Motorhome people. Pro,s and cons Caravans - You always have a vehicle to run around with. It can be a pig to park or reverse. You are limited to reasonable roads. You are limited in speed. Any "toys" you like with you (we are radio hams) are required in two places, car and van. Weight is always on your mind. If you want a cuppa you have to get out of the car and go outside where it can be raining, wind down the steadies etc. You cannot use the space of the van for people while towing. Campers - You need some auxilliary transport, we carry two light weight monkey bikes on a rack at the back. All the space is available all the time. Reversing is easy Parking is easy It will go anywhere your fancy takes you. Making a quick cuppa is easy Only one set of "toys" are required. Construction tends to be more robust. Weight is a little less on your mind. Lastly, I wouldn,t purchase anything on the Fiat / Peugeot chassis. I don,t like cam belts. Fiat service is known to be poor. If I had to chose between a new Fiat based Motorhome or a 18 month old one on a Merc chassis the Merc would win hands down. Most motorhomes do very few miles compared with the commercial usage the chassis is designed for. I am now retired as of this January just gone and our Scout is 7 years old. No problems and no thoughts on changing it. It remains our favourite toy without a doubt. But its your money and your risk. Good luck Clive

I don't think that there is a definitive answer to this one, it depends what you want from your leisure. I have tried both and I am a confirmed motorhomer now, however I stick to vehicles under 20ft. We recently had a long stay in Spain, we stayed at a large campsite, but sallied out and stayed nights here and there, sometimes wild camping,this is not possible in a caravan. We stayed at a wonderful site 1500 metres up in the Spanish Espuna, I would not take a caravan up the mountain road to it. On the return journey we detoured to Ramboulliet East of Paris, missed the campsite and ended up going through the centre of the town. The road was quaintly cobbled about 10 ft wide, I met the local bus coming the other way, in a caravan, complete nightmare, in a motorhome no problem, quick reverse and a wave. Just a few little thoughts for you, There are many many more advantages to motorhomes, load carrying, ease of use, liveability, speed, flexibilty, free aires, wild camping. Go for it, you will love it. I am not a big fan of Compass, be careful to shop around and take your time, this is a big purchase.

I think the key factor is the sort of holiday you want. If you want to go to a particular area and explore it thoroughly, you probably would be better off in a caravan. However, the beauty of a motorhome is that you don't need a destination, just a route. We usually travel in a large circle, or out and back by different routes, rarely staying in one place for more than a couple of nights. Cities can be dealt with by public transport, or by getting in early before the car parks fill up. So if you have itchy feet, keep motorhomeing.

We have had both caravan for 26yrs, m/home for 4yrs. They are altogether different. As previous posters have said a caravan is better suited to going to somewhere for a period of time, exploring day to day with car, then going on/home, whereas a m/home lends itself to touring. A motorhome has far less storage space, just think about it you loose the car boot and interior for starters plus with internal water tanks you loose at least one locker as well! However a m/h can go quicker if desired, use the third lane of a motorway if needed, is quicker and easier to set up and move and when you get older (the reason we changed) you dont have to do any manual pushing or pulling. we would not buy a Fiat but we are totally happy with our Peugeot Boxer chassis, uses a different engine and gearbox to the Fiat. Mercedes buying and running costs are exhorbatant, Transits seem fine from friends who have them, no personal experience. As a prvious poster said you pays your money and takes your choice.

Guest Charles
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. It has helped us to crystalise our thoughts - it's going to be a motorhome! Our current thinking is that we should go for a compact model so that we can use it for days out (both from a campsite base and from home). However it must have a washroom so that we can be self sufficient, also a lounge / bedroom big enough for the two of us plus dog! I will leave further points for a new message thread. Thanks again. Charles

Archived