Carbon monoxide smoke detectors

Barcobird

There was a short thread on purchasing carbon monoxide sensors last October but it didn't include a smoke detector.

Is the general feeling that there should be two different units fitted or is a combination unit ok.

The reason I ask is because generally a smoke detector is fitted to the ceiling whereas the monoxide one should be about 1.5 meters from the floor ( in theory).

So in a motorhome using a dual sensor where would you place it ?

1.5m from floor would only apply to a house, and even then it's not the definitive height to fit it, i.e. the last CO alarm I fitted it was recommended to be fitted on ceiling, so the answer is, fit it to ceiling.

p.s. here you go, as specified here. https://www.safelincs.co.uk/templates_safelincs/files/datasheets/3047_First%20Alert%20SCO5UK-Datasheet.pdf

We have the unit described above by Colin's link. Never been used in anger I am pleased to say.

The only time I thought it as faulty when giving of chirruping sounds. (Not an alarm as such). But it seemed to have picked up a propane leak from the gas manifold in a cupboard below the alarm found after a habitation pressure test.

Rgds

Where it might best be placed would depend on the layout of your van.

Ours are above foot end of bed, which is between us when sleeping and any item likely to produce CO or smoke whilst we are sleeping, and far enough from hob to not often alarm with normal cooking.

Michael, thanks for the tip. I've ordered one. It'll replace the current fire alarm in the ceiling and we can be rid of our carbon monoxide device which has never had a satisfactory home.

I bought my fire blankets for the van and home from Safelincs following their advice.

Archived