Carnauba car polish

Guest Debra

Has anyone heard of a polish called Yellow Carnauba car polish which I am told comes from Brazilian Palm trees and as such is a natural plant by-product that the sellers state will not react with any paint finish and can also be used on GRP. I am wondering if it would be safe to use on my Motorhome part of which I understand is GRP/gel coat.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Carnauba wax is a traditional ingredient of many polishes including those intended for vehicles. I've no reason to doubt the vendors' claim that it's harmless to paint finishes and, with it being a natural wax, I don't see why it should damage GRP (or any other plastic for that matter). Based on previous forum discussion it seems that polishes containing silicone products are best avoided for GRP as the material's outer gel-coat can be damaged.

Debra. look for car polish made by Johnsons Wax, it will contain Carnauba wax, but being a true wax polish it will be very hard work to apply and polish off. As Derek says it is harmless to all paint surfaces, and is the base for all true wax polishes. David

Yes, Carnuba wax is a natural product but it is a hard wax (thus labourous to apply) and was used extensively in the manufacture of the old-fasion 78 rpm records! When 78 rpm records ended there was a crises in the industry in south America! I am a geographer by profession (university teacher) and in my earlier career this was always mentioned in my lectures on economic geography. Probably this is not all that relevant to motor homes but interesting.

Archived