Carrying ebikes

AndyB1

I've got a Burstner Solano t710 with a fiamma bike carrier on the rear wall. The carrier can take 60kg and I am informed by Burstner that the rear wall can take 75kg (I presume the carrier was fitted at the time of manufacture although I can't be absolutely certain). I want to put two ebikes on the carrier, together they will weigh about 42kg (batteries removed). To put them on, the carrier will have to be set so that the bikes lean out from the van slightly. Does this sound ok, risky etc? Any thoughts/experience? Thanks.

Ours also lean outwards quite a bit and seem OK. On the Fiamma carrier, if it bothers you that the bikes lean outwards, you can mess around with the position of the bottom runners. Just undo the two ss screws on the ali bars, move the runners to where you want them and then re-drill the runners.

The carrier is rated at 62Kg and having checked with both m/h builder and Fiamma they both confirm that's a realistic rating if mounted correctly

One thing I would STRONGLY advise everybody who's carrying bikes to do, is double check that the carrier is held on to the m/h with through bolts to the inside and doubler plates inside too. Our first trip away in our brand new 'van in '17 resulted in the whole carrier and bikes falling off since the carrier had only been attached by half inch self tappers. So checking is really worth while, it can happen. In fact I got our m/h builder to issue a recall to all buyers of our model and they found "a few" that weren't compliant. T

Hi

I do the following,

1)Removed saddle and saddle post ( usually just a quick release) to reduce weight and make them easier to lift on - also keeps saddle dry in wet conditions

2) turned the handlebars, a 60 second job, so the bikes can stand upright,

Peter

• 1 month later...

when I had the panel van, I came up with a similar issue, what I did notice was the similar Omnistore/Thule bike racks allowed a greater payload, but you are quoting the what the manufacturer is stating for the rear wall and not the bike rack.

As for leaning bikes away from the vertical surface, I thing as mentioned with turning the handle bars, and positioning the bikes alternate (one facing one way and the other the opposite) may be a better solution. For me I would always lean them in against the wall. I am sure someone will say there is no problem or difference having them leaning out, but gut feel and not worrying, for me, priceless

We originally had a 'carrybike' on the rear door of our PVC, never had any problems with it when carrying standard bikes, but was aware that some have had them 'buckle' the rear door, and it was a fair old lift to get them on.

With getting the Ebikes I decided a better rack was needed, looked at towbar racks but decided to dismiss them as even when tilted they don't give full unrestrained access to rear, and also they would take van over 7m long. After looking at various swing out racks decided none did quite what I wanted, so made my own, this bolts onto towbar mount, it allows full access to rear, keeps van under 7m, allows the towbar to be used when no bikes are loaded, and being low like a towbar rack makes it much easier to load the bikes.

Not many will want to go to that trouble, but I would fully endorse a towbar rack just for the ease of loading compared to most other racks.

Archived