Carthago Malibu feedback required

Den

Fairly uncommon in the UK I suspect.

We looked at Malibus in 2014 when we were toying with the idea of buying a panel-van conversion, so I’m pretty familiar with the range ‘on paper’ - but that’s not the same as owning one!

The “Flexi bathroom’ feaure of some Malibu panel-van models is unusual and I had (and still have) some concerns about its longevity. I note too that there are criticisms on German forums about Malibu build quality.

Globecar and Rapido PVCs were other possibilities, but we decided to stay with a coachbuilt motorhome.

We first saw Carthago Motorhomes at the 2006 Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf and always said we would one day have one if they ever brought out a van conversion. We bought a Malibu 640LE last year but were quite disappointed with it. Mainly, it was the front end layout that let us down. The bedroom (or rather the bed) was just what we wanted but having thought we would be able to get our folding bikes under the bed we found it was actually quite restricted.nwith them in there was little room for anything else - and we had been used to carrying reclining chairs, outside table and a driveaway awning.

But the main difficulty for us was having the kitchen unit right opposite the forward facing rear seats and the bathroom. This limited the space drastically. To open the large drawers, for instance, you had to stand to one side as they come out across the aisle. There were other things we couldn't live with including the tiny fridge with hardly any freezer box.

We had it for about three months and had made up our minds to change it this year even though it would mean a bit if a loss. However, just before leaving for our winter trip to Spain we spotted our present Motorhome - a coachbuilt with everything we had put in our list (except the payload which we have had to upgrade) so took the plunge and have not regretted it. We are happy with this now but for the last ten years have had IH panel vans - albeit with some tweaking of the interior to suit our needs.

I don't think the quality of the Malibu was too bad but certainly didn't seem to be of the quality we saw back in 2006.

David

Hi David

Thank you for your input.

I did notice the drawers caused a problem. We were looking at the half dinette model.

We went to Duseldorf when they were first introduced but carried on with Larger MH's.

Now we want to downsize, but still with some quality.

david lloyd - 2016-07-16 6:01 PM

...I don't think the quality of the Malibu was too bad but certainly didn't seem to be of the quality we saw back in 2006.

David

It’s pehaps worth saying that Carthago has two factories.

"Carthago City” at Aulendorf in Germany (south-east of Stuttgart) produces high-end Liner and Highliner, Chic E-line and Chic S-Plus Carthago models, while a second factory at Odranci (in north-east Slovenia and opened in 2008) manufactures the less expensive C-Compactline, C-Tourer, Chic C-line and Malibu ranges.

A Brownhills salesman once told me that only three things mattered to motortome buyers - interior layout, interior layout and interior layout. Obviously - as David found - an unsuitable layout can prove intolerable, but there are other selection criteria.

For example, although the majority of largish panel-van conversions use Fiat Ducato or Peugeot Boxer/Citroen Relay base vehicles, some will be on ‘light’ chassis, while others will be on ‘heavy’ chassis. This could be significant, as ‘heavy’ versions will have as standard 16” wheels, bigger brakes and heavier duty suspension. Just because one Ducato-based PVC looks just like another, doesn’t mean the mechanical specifications are the same.

There’s also the matter of where the manufacturer is. The Auto-Trail factory is near Grimsby - if there’s, say, a major problem with a V-Line’s toilet compartment a UK buyer SHOULD be able to have this resolved reasonably conveniently. If a similar problem occurred with a Malibu PVC, it’s a long way to Odranci...

I am aware that there are several different MTPLM Ducato chassis.

Some motorhome converters may standardise on a particular chassis (say the 3300kg version) with no option to choose an alternative, some may standardise on, say, the 4005kg version, while others may offer any of the chassis possibilities.

My point was that some motorhome buyers may be oblivious to this and, believing they are comparing motorhomes on a like-for-like basis, will overlook the chassis specification of the base vehicle.

Your right about the choices. With a coach built or a A class, you need the 40.

But they do bounce. Fist have not perfected the perfect ride.

The Rensult master has a much more forgiving suspension setup.

I have 2 of them.

With the PVC and taking into consideration the items we carry, the 35 will be ideal.

Den - 2016-07-18 6:41 PM

...With a coach built or a A class, you need the 40...

I have a Rapido 640 low-profile coachbuilt motorhome. It is 6.49m long, 2.35m wide, 2.76m high and based on a Ducato X290 ’35 light’ chassis with a MTPLM of 3500kg and an unladen weight in running order of 2795kg (about the same as a Malibu 640). What plausible argument would there be to build the Rapido on a Ducato ’40 heavy’ chassis?

Archived