Carthago c148 rear light cluster (x250)

Bogfoldcruiser

• 3 weeks later...

The light-unit appears in the photo of a Carthago motorhome on the Introduction page of this Hella catalogue

https://www.hella.com/hella-uk/assets/media_global/796_Caravan-Prospekt_2014_HELLA_EN.pdf

and another on-line Hella entry says that this rear-light unit was introduced in 2013 specifically for Carthago.

The norm would be to attach this type of light-unit to the motorhome’s body via screws inserted through the unit’s exterior (That’s the method used for my Rapido’s rear-light units, with bulb replacement demanding that the complete unit be removed after the screws have been undone). ’Cosmetic’ plastic covers might hide the screw-heads, but the Hella units on Carthago photos show no external sign of screws or screw covers and I’m sure Eddie would not have asked about this if Hella had employed an obvious external screw-fixing method.

An alternative would be for the units to be attached to the body by fixings behind the light-units themselves, with removal of the units or replacing the bubs (assuming that the units have bulbs not LEDs) requiring access to the units’ rear. The units seem to be ‘bespoke’ for Carthago models and the photos here

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/2991/pixindex.html

suggest that this might be a possibility if rear-wall panelling were removed from within the rear garage. I’d check if panel removal looks practicable and, if not, try contacting the Carthago Owners UK club. Carthago dealerships, the Carthago factory, or Hella.

When a new vehicle is comes off the assembly line it should never be assumed that everything is perfect even if it appears so, light clusters are a familiar memory of mine where ... it was impossible to remove a similar rear light covering without removing the (metal) bumper first, my involvement was rectifying the plastic tooling. I cannot remember which make of vehicle this was, some 30 years ago.

There are plenty of complaints on motorhome forums about problems replacing headlamp or rear-light bulbs where access is difficulty as a result of the conversion, or the task involves a ‘trick’ that is not explained in the motorhome’s documentation.

Alan’s advice indicates that a not-obvious technique is required to remove the Carthago rear lights, but at least Carthago have covered this in their owner handbooks.

Replacing headlamp bulbs on my 2005 Ford Transit Mk 6-based Hobby motorhome was far from straightforward. One headlamp bulb was reasonably accessible if one had a surgeon’s hands and did not mind losing skin, but the other headlamp’s rear was masked by the vehicle’s air-con equipment. The Ford handbook did warn about this and advised taking the Transit to a Ford agent if a headlamp bulb failed. If I remember correctly, removal of a headlamp first required removal of the front bumper. (I believe it was a simple matter to remove the headlamps of Transit Mk 7 vehicles.)

alan k - 2019-10-28 4:21 PM

The file is in the van at the moment cant remember whether its pull the bottom out and slide up or pull out the the top and slide down.

If youve got the big lever arch or the handbook it tells you in there

alan

Unfortunately that bit of the documentation is MIA . However the nice people at Carthago responded in quick time to an Email and forwarded all the relevant info . Looks like you push it up to reveal a catch and remove the whole fitting .

Thanks for all the replies people , much appreciated ._._.

Archived