Caution When Using Milton !!!!!

colinfrier

About 4 weeks ago I flushed my FW tank with Milton I had about 1/2 a bottle left which I stood in the stainless steel (I think) sink in turn that got knocked over and a little leaked out.Just getting ready for the off to England and found the Milton had reacted with the sink to the extent it has made two holes right through.

I have made a temp repair with epoxy putty but now need a new sink.

OTHERS BEWARE

There was a letter (some long time ago) in MMM's Interchange columns mentioning Milton's voracious appetite for stainless-steel sinks. It's pretty aggressive stuff in undiluted form and, although there are warnings of this on the labelling, it may well not be appreciated quite how corrosive to metal Milton and similar products are. Also plays havoc if you spill it on carpets and clothing.

Just to complete the picture a bit, the active ingredient of Milton is chlorine, so any chlorine based sterilising product can have the same effect. 

Truma boilers/combis have stainless steel water jackets, which is why Truma advise against using chlorine based products for fresh water system purification.

Replacing sinks is bad enough, but new Trumas are REALLY expensive!!!

Guest Tracker

And yet one of the best things for cleaning a stainless steel sink and associated plastic pipework when it gets pongey is - yes you guessed it - good old fashioned neat domestic bleach!

There are no warnings about use on stainless steel on any of the three different makes of the stuff that we have here at home?

Maybe Milton is much more concentrated or contains other nasties as well as chlorine?

We have successfully used very dilute bleach to flush out a fresh water tank in the past (and a less dilute version to flush out a waste tank or two over the years) - followed by a couple of tankfuls of mark one tapolene to flush it all out.

Losos - 2009-05-25 8:21 PM Colin, thanks for the info, I never knew that Milton was so powerful. They use it for sterilising babies bottles don't they !!

Yes, but they don't feed it to babies neat!  It is the chlorine concentration that has to be watched.  Most bleaches are chlorine based, but are far from neat chlorine.  It's nasty stuff that can kill you in sufficient concentration, but highly useful if used properly and wisely.  Just like fire, then, really :-)

I used to put a small quantity of Milton in my Herald Motorhome's fresh-water tank and, when the stainless-steel water reservoir on the vehicle's Truma C-Series heater developed a leak, I asked Truma(UK) if the Milton might have been the cause. They thought not, as the concentration would have been too low to affect the metal and the leak was just due to a poor weld when the reservoir was made. However, I've never used Milton since.

Milton and houshold bleach is diluted sodium hypochlorite. Many years ago, for cleaning stainless steel containers used in food production, we used phosphoric acid.

I still use a weak bleach solution for cleaning the water system.

ps - don't mix sodium hypo with an acid. It's extremely exothermic (think: explosion) and releases copious quantities of chlorine gas.

Mike

Archived