Centre console cup holder conversion

bootlucy

Whether the glovebox or cupholder is supplied on a new van is down to the option specified by the original purchaser (converter), but the parts are available as spares to change from one to the other- and having done the conversion the other way round recently (I took out the cupholder & replaced it with the glovebox), I have a cupholder complete "spare". I have a Ducato, but I am pretty sure they are the same part on Peugeots.

Fitting was fiddly, but not difficult - both types have a front & rear section, though the glovebox has the two parts joined by a hinge, which makes handling it a bit cumbersome. From memory, there are 6 or 8 screws to remove, then a number of plastic barbs to persuade out of their slots.

Nigel B.

As Nigel has said, the ‘cup-holder' is available for retrofitting and should fit X290 Peugeot Boxers and Citroen Relays as well as X290 Ducatos. (Example of on-line advert here)

https://tinyurl.com/y7gzmnk9

If Rapido had opted for the Ducato’s (standard) cup-holder rather than the (optional) central large hinged ‘glove box', I would have done the same as Nigel. Obviously the cup-holder can carry large bottles and a phone, and has a USB socket, but it also sticks well out over the cab floor and potentially complicates removal of the starter battery. Me, I’d much rather have the central glove-box, but each to their own.

This 2015 forum thread discussed replacing cup-holder with glove-box and may help with the reverse swap

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X-290-glove-box/38872/

No, my 2015 Hymer B544 has the cup holder but without a USB socket. As Derek, I would much rather have had the glove box but as I didn't purchase from new has to accept what was there. Be interesting to know how much the parts are to convert back to the glovebox though.

David

"Be interesting to know how much the parts are to convert back to the glovebox though. "

The Fiat part number 0071807348-001 is on the box my glovebox kit came in. I bought it from Desira Group, Diss, Norfolk from Ebay - a new Fiat part from a Fiat dealer that cost £75 plus £5 delivery a couple of months ago.

There is a hole in the glovebox handle for a lock barrel - enquiring at my local Fiat dealer when I was in for the intercooler clip recall, the lock barrel is apparently very expensive, but the very helpful Parts assistant had a cheaper solution in the form of an Iveco trim clip that was the same colour & finish as the handle that fills the hole nicely. I will have to root out the parts invoice for the part number for that if you are interested.

HTH

Nigel B

The Fiat Part Number for the ‘cup holder unit’ kit is 71807349.

The 1st attached photo shows the kit's constituents and (as has been mentioned above) it does not include the USB and AUX outlets pictured in some ebay adverts, just a plastic blanking insert.

The photo on this ebay advert

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Fiat-DUCATO-CITROEN-Relay-PEUGEOT-Boxer-2015-Drinks-Utility-Holder-Genuine/11017003835

has USB and AUX connectors and there’s the following comment

"Much better now

At last I can stop fuming at the appalling design of the original lockable glovebox leaving no where for drinks. Just note that you will have to cut a hole in a plastic blanking plate to fit the Bluetooth/USB connector; you will need a drill, sharp knife and patience!”

Not sure if this means that the seller provides a USB connector with the unit or (more likely) that the buyer of the unit obtains and DIY-fits a USB connector.

It’s evident that the USB/AUX thing (2nd photo attached) that replaces the blanking plate in the advert’s photo was fitted as part of a genuine Fiat option when the Ducato X290 was introduced in 2014, but that option may no longer be available.

935699419_cupholderkit71807349.jpg.68e5fac36b4922884c8a70cd82061513.jpg

235575603_USBAUX.jpg.c75486df8ab5ba064942414b652d2ae7.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-07 8:37 AM

If Rapido had opted for the Ducato’s (standard) cup-holder rather than the (optional) central large hinged ‘glove box', I would have done the same as Nigel. Obviously the cup-holder can carry large bottles and a phone, and has a USB socket, but it also sticks well out over the cab floor and potentially complicates removal of the starter battery. Me, I’d much rather have the central glove-box, but each to their own.

I'm of exactly the same view as Derek on this, and the fact Rapido is one of the few converters to specify the original locking glove box on it's X290s, was a reasonably significant influence in buying a new Rapido ourselves.

I'm really not impressed by the cup holder that is the standard installation now, especially not in a motorhome - it just gets in the way and doesn't really serve a particularly useful purpose in my view.

If we want a drink en route, we stop and spin the passenger seat round so we can sit at the dinette in a civilised manor. And, drinking whilst driving is almost certainly illegal in any case.

It’s plain from on-line comments that some motorcaravanners owning X290 Boxers/Ducatos/Relays with the large central ‘glove-box’ would like to replace this with the ‘cup-holder’ unit, and vice versa. It would be useful if an on-line capability could be set up to put the two groups in contact with each other, as this would save the expense of buying a new unit and then having to flog the superfluous one. Perhaps Warners could consider adding this valuable facility to the Out&AboutLive website.

A May 2014 Fiat Professional press release about the imminent UK introduction of the Ducato X290 included the following statement about the specification:

“New, well-appointed, multi-adjustable seats offer car-like comfort levels with lumbar support and a driver’s armrest as standard on all models, while a new dashboard console can accommodate two 750ml beverage bottles as well as storage, charging and USB/Aux-in facilities for mobile devices. (A covered storage compartment, large enough to store a 15-inch laptop, is available in lieu of the console.) “

The USB/AUX component in the photo in my last posting above could evidently also be fitted inside the Ducato’s glove-box (photo attached) as well as in the cup-holder unit and it’s shown being used on other Fiat models. Plainly the Ducato’s wiring loom would need to have the necessary cabling to allow the USB/AUX component to be plugged in, but I’ve no idea if my vehicle has this.

903671438_USBAUX2.jpg.03188bf0870f2f8e91cd6fd992fe0224.jpg

Really Mike beaches? You'd base your decision on buying a motorhome on whether it's got a lockable glove box? Hmm, I'm a bit doubtful.

Anyway, on the subject of drinks holders, does anyone know of one to fit on the right side of the steering wheel? Leaning ovet to use the one to the left of the radio is a bit uncomfortable with a bad back. any ideas?

The driver should not be drinking and driving at the same time as it is unsafe, hands should be on the wheel. This must be as unsafe as holding a phone and driving. No problem with passengers using cup holders though.

There are various cup-holders advertised on-line that you might be able to use

https://tinyurl.com/y9qrkxej

but these are generally intended to hold cups or cans, and might well not be suitable for holding the size/weight of bottle that the X290’s central unit can accomodate.

Cup/bottle holders are things I’ve never needed to consider in a vehicle as, when I’m driving, I neither drink nor eat - nor have the radio on for that matter.

"I couldn't do that, always got a drink on the go either coffee or a can of something"

I believe that constitutes "Driving without due care & attention" in the UK and attracts a minimum of 3 points + fine. And IIRC the French introduced on the spot fines a year or so ago that specifically targeted drinking & eating while driving (amongst other things).

If you want a drink or snack - pull off the road, stop & do so safely.

Nigel B

mgnbuk - 2018-06-11 10:08 AM

"I couldn't do that, always got a drink on the go either coffee or a can of something"

I believe that constitutes "Driving without due care & attention" in the UK and attracts a minimum of 3 points + fine. And IIRC the French introduced on the spot fines a year or so ago that specifically targeted drinking & eating while driving (amongst other things).

If you want a drink or snack - pull off the road, stop & do so safely.

Nigel B

As we all know there's much rubbish written on the internet and this must be up there with the best. In what way is drinking a coffee "driving without due care". It's not causing an accident or putting anyone at risk. You are of course entitled to your opinion, as misguided and wrong as it may be.

"You are of course entitled to your opinion, as misguided and wrong as it may be."

Driving without due care & attention and Careless driving encompass many distractions, of which eating & drinking while driving are but two examples. A former colleague was prosecuted, fined & got 3 points for having a map on the steering wheel as, in the opinion of the officer who brought the prosecution, he was "distracted". Other examples include adjusting the radio & lighting a cigarette - anything which distracts you from driving the vehicle.

Burying your head in the sand doesn't change the situation.

Nigel B

We normally dealt with such matters under the offence of failing to be in proper control of the vehicle.

The penalty if no extenuating circumstances is not usually severe. However, instances of distraction by consuming food or drink are not uncommon in fatal collisions, and surviving drivers have serious questions to answer and may face more serious offences where remains of food and/or drink are found in the vehicle after a collision, especially on or around the driver's seat, footwell or plastered all over the driver's clothing because they were squashed between him/her and the airbag!

Evidence could support an offence of causing death or serious injury by careless driving, for instance.

http://www.grayandcosolicitors.co.uk/not-proper-control-motor-vehicle/

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-09 7:48 AM

It’s plain from on-line comments that some motorcaravanners owning X290 Boxers/Ducatos/Relays with the large central ‘glove-box’ would like to replace this with the ‘cup-holder’ unit, and vice versa. It would be useful if an on-line capability could be set up to put the two groups in contact with each other, as this would save the expense of buying a new unit and then having to flog the superfluous one. Perhaps Warners could consider adding this valuable facility to the Out&AboutLive website.

Good idea Derek. I would happily swap my cup holder arrangement for the lockable glovebox - much more useful and takes up less space. As I said though, my cup holder does not have the 'advertised' USB socket but I keep the phone plugged into a dual USB socket in the outlet provided one the dashboard and the phone simply rests on the shelf beneath the passenger airbag - all makes the cup holder superfluous for me.

David

ColinM50 - 2018-06-10 10:50 AM

Really Mike beaches? You'd base your decision on buying a motorhome on whether it's got a lockable glove box? Hmm, I'm a bit doubtful.

Anyway, on the subject of drinks holders, does anyone know of one to fit on the right side of the steering wheel? Leaning ovet to use the one to the left of the radio is a bit uncomfortable with a bad back. any ideas?

In answer to your question addressed to me ColinM50, yes.

As I said originally, the requirement for a lockable glovebox, rather than - in my opinion - a waste of space cup holder, which I judged not fit for purpose in a motorhome, was "a reasonably significant influence in buying a new Rapido" No more no less.

Clearly, there were many factors involved in selecting a suitably designed van for our needs, and that happened to be just one of them. I'm not sure why you think that so surprising?

The panel van market is crowded one with lots of excellent choice available, with a number of makes/models which met our broader needs. So things like retaining a large and useful lockable glovebox accessible from the driver and passenger seats, was a relevant factor.

Does anyone know if the tables that clip to a vehicle door are still available and from where? We are starting to go to DriveIn films this summer and taking our van,the tables would enable us to watch the film and still have our snacks instead of using the table in the back.

Thanks for everyone's help, having purchased the conversion kit it turned out to be a fairly straightforward job to swap and it fits perfectly and looks great, no hole to cut for the usb as it was already in place. Regarding comments about drinking whilst on the move, for us this was more about having somewhere to stand a drink while having a rest break as our Boxer (2016) has only one cup holder built into the dash and the layout of our Bailey 635 m/h means we would have to erect the table to avoid a bit of a balancing act for the driver ! Again many thanks

Guest pelmetman
yeti - 2018-06-14 2:10 PM

Does anyone know if the tables that clip to a vehicle door are still available and from where? We are starting to go to DriveIn films this summer and taking our van,the tables would enable us to watch the film and still have our snacks instead of using the table in the back.

Eh??? 8-) ........You can go to a drive in movie in a camper??? B-) ........

Knowing my luck I'd be stuck behind a Winnebago :-( .......

yeti - 2018-06-14 2:10 PM

There are various gizmos advertised that might do what you want (browse through images on following link)

https://tinyurl.com/yc6ezabc

The product advertised here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1PCS-Car-Swivel-Mount-Holder-Travel-Drink-Cup-Coffee-Table-Stand-Food-Tray-Black-/122927194896

might suit.

Does anyone know if the retrofit cup holders shown would fit a 2013 UK spec Fiat Ducato Adria Coral S670 SLT (presumably X250)?

We were unaware of a choice at the time and have the huge drop down storage bin as shown in Derek's picture. It's supposed to be able to house a laptop but with the vibration I would never use it for that purpose. Our storage bin is used precisely for that, its full of odds and ends of cables and stuff and the space would be much better served by having a couple of cup holders for coffee or soft drinks.

Don't start the debate over 'drinking and driving' again. Just a simple confirmation of whether you think it will fit or not will be great.

Many thanks.

W2G

Archived