Certificate of conformity

Tom 588

So,thanks to you guys the headlight situation on the van I want to import is sorted.

Now I need spoon feeding information regarding certificate of conformity.

Does the certificate belong to a unique motorhome referencing its VIN or is it more generic?

Either way ,is it held at a dealership or is it generated when a vehicle is sold.

I need the information before my trip to Germany next week as I want to avoid paying too much tax regarding lgv , co2 figure, motorhomes over £40000 etc.

Please make it easy for me to understand !

the CoC is issued to the individual vehicle and carries the VIN No on it -

you will have 2 (or maybe more COC) the first one is from Fiat for the base Chassis. which is then superseded by the later converter CoC (in our case Globecar) Our van is a PVC and the globecar CoC is actually a Dethleffs CoC (as globecar are a Dethleffs subsidiary)

the dealer should have it when they receive the van from the converter and should be able to supply a scanned copy by email before collection - you get the original on collection with the van paperwork and you need both the original (fiat) and converter (globecar/dethleffs CoC0 to register the van in the UK, but the important one for taxation purposes is the convertor CoC (as it supersedes the Fiat one.

I got mine sent over electronically a couple of weeks ahead of collection - just as well - as my CoC had a typo on it which meant the Converter CoC has a letter difference in the model type (Variant) field - it said something like FKN2FE rather than FKN2FE that was on the reg. paperwork - they withdrew it and reissued a new CoC before collection - could have made a problem on registering it

Tom 588 - 2017-10-03 4:33 PM

So,thanks to you guys the headlight situation on the van I want to import is sorted.

Now I need spoon feeding information regarding certificate of conformity.

Does the certificate belong to a unique motorhome referencing its VIN or is it more generic?

Either way ,is it held at a dealership or is it generated when a vehicle is sold.

I need the information before my trip to Germany next week as I want to avoid paying too much tax regarding lgv , co2 figure, motorhomes over £40000 etc.

Please make it easy for me to understand !

As Gerry says you will get the CoC from the dealer when you pick up the van. I'm assuming here you are personally importing the B Class Dynamic Line from Germany?

Assuming it is the same format as ours, you will find the CO2 emissions at item 29 on the bottom of the second page. In view of their increased weight, generally larger bulk, and reduced aerodynamics compered to the Fiat base they will not conform with the base vehicle emissions standards. It will have no value against it since these vehicles are deemed limited production, and are not emissions tested for type approval.

Be careful when completing the registration application. DVLA personnel were apparently tending to steer people toward the high VED routes, and have seemed somewhat confused by the new regime, including relevance of the purchased price, for which they will (if not checked! :-)) insist on a Hymer published Sterling pricelist for the same model if bought in UK. Problem is, AFAIK, there is no present official Hymer price list, in view of the fluctuating £/€ exchange rate. However, as below, I believe this is completely irrelevant for reasons I hope will become clear. :-)

First navigate to here: http://dvla.dft.gov.uk/ved/ved-industry-brief-imported-vehicles.pdf and download and save the leaflet (you may need to quote it to DVLA! :-)). Pay particular attention to the statement on page 4, under 03: "Which vehicles are affected by the change", third para, and that on page 8, top right, "New previously unregistered imported vehicles".

My reading of this is that if the vehicle has no CO2 emissions value stated on its CoC, it falls into the PLG category for VED and, as such, is not subject to either the CO2 related standard, additional, or first tax, rates of VED you refer to above. The current rate of VED for PLG is £245 pa. As above, this is my reading but, from enquiries, it seems it is also the interpretation UK dealers are following.

Thanks Gerry/Brian,

I've spent most of the afternoon looking into it and combined with what you have both said I have a very good idea of the pitfalls and what I need to check.

Bureaucracy gone mad and we're still supposed to be part of Europe !

essentially, you need to send all the CoC to DVLA on registration - but the important one (for Taxation purposes) is the final (converter) CoC - the original fiat CoC has CO2 emissions published on it - but out final stage Dethleffs / globecar COC does not have CO2 emissions stated on it .

If the final stage CoC has CO2 emissions published (it should not!) you will bet taxed as a passenger car and be liable to the £40K limit and increased taxation - however as long as the final stage CoC is without the CO@ fig (as it should) then you are able to register your vehicle type as a “motor caravan” and as a PLG (if <3500kg / £245 p/a tax) or a PHGV (if >3500kg / £165 p/a tax)

It is a bit stressful making sure the paperwork is in order on the DVLA form - but order a couple of copies of the forms and photocopy them & practice before filling out the proper copy to be submitted is my top tip.

if you need some guidance- get in touch via PM

regards

Gerry

The current DVLA rules regarding VED and motorhomes are well explained here

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/3-motorhome-road-tax

For a Hymer Dynamic Line model the Fiat CofC should not have a CO2 emissions datum, so later-stage CofCs should also not have one. There’s likely to be 3 CofCs - a 1st-stage Fiat one, a 2nd-stage AL-KO one and a 3rd-stage Hymer one.

If Tom’s Hymer’s maximum overall weight exceeds 3500kg, it should be placed in the TC10 (Private/HGV) VED class to which emissions data do not apply even if they appear on any of the CofCs.

(The bureaucracy involved in buying a motorhome abroad and importing it to the UK is relatively straightforward. The tricky bit - as far as I’m concerned - is making sure the vehicle is properly insured until it is UK-registered. Presumably Tom has explored this.)

Tom 588 - 2017-10-03 7:53 PM

Thanks Gerry/Brian,

I've spent most of the afternoon looking into it and combined with what you have both said I have a very good idea of the pitfalls and what I need to check.

Bureaucracy gone mad and we're still supposed to be part of Europe !

But Tom, VED has never been set by the EU. It is all the work of our own government.

Gerry McG - 2017-10-03 9:59 PM

essentially, you need to send all the CoC to DVLA on registration - but the important one (for Taxation purposes) is the final (converter) CoC - the original fiat CoC has CO2 emissions published on it - but out final stage Dethleffs / globecar COC does not have CO2 emissions stated on it .

If the final stage CoC has CO2 emissions published (it should not!) you will bet taxed as a passenger car and be liable to the £40K limit and increased taxation - however as long as the final stage CoC is without the CO@ fig (as it should) then you are able to register your vehicle type as a “motor caravan” and as a PLG (if <3500kg / £245 p/a tax) or a PHGV (if >3500kg / £165 p/a tax)

It is a bit stressful making sure the paperwork is in order on the DVLA form - but order a couple of copies of the forms and photocopy them & practice before filling out the proper copy to be submitted is my top tip.

if you need some guidance- get in touch via PM

regards

Gerry

Incorrect you don't send the C of C to DVLA you send it to the VCA you need it to get your IVA certificate that allows you to register the vehicle the only things you send to the DVLA is the IVA cert and certificate of Newness.

Just imported my 3rd Motorhome my current Hymer B678DL in March this year.

lennyhb - 2017-10-04 12:56 PM

Incorrect you don't send the C of C to DVLA you send it to the VCA you need it to get your IVA certificate that allows you to register the vehicle the only things you send to the DVLA is the IVA cert and certificate of Newness.

I'm afraid you are incorrect as well.... and it would appear to depend on whether you are importing a LHD or RHD van from the continent.

As someone who imported a RHD van from Germany in January, I can categorically confirm I never needed to go anywhere near the VCA or get my van inspected (as it was UK spec, RHD, UK lights etc all stated on CoC) and I sent my CoC papers to the DVLA as part of the registration process.

You have clearly imported LHD vans from the continent, which require VCA checks and approval that the van meets UK spec prior to registration as the LHD CoC does not explicitly state UK market ready - so the process is definitely different for importing a LHD van - how so - I would not presume to know .

Guidance on importing vehicles into the UK can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Getting vehicle approval is covered here

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/mutual-recognition

and the procedure differs according to whether the vehicle has been registered in the EU or not. In the former case - if the vehicle being imported is left-hand drive - a Certificate of Mutual Recognition needs to be obtained. In the latter case the IVA route is taken.

The application form for a Certificate of Mutual Recognition for a LHD motorhome is shown here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/607594/apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf

and (as it says on the form) the Certificate of Conformity relating to the motorhome should accompany the completed application form when this is sent to the VCA.

Gerry McG - 2017-10-04 1:12 PM

lennyhb - 2017-10-04 12:56 PM

I'm afraid you are incorrect as well.... and it would appear to depend on whether you are importing a LHD or RHD van from the continent.

As someone who imported a RHD van from Germany in January, I can categorically confirm I never needed to go anywhere near the VCA or get my van inspected (as it was UK spec, RHD, UK lights etc all stated on CoC) and I sent my CoC papers to the DVLA as part of the registration process.

You have clearly imported LHD vans from the continent, which require VCA checks and approval that the van meets UK spec prior to registration as the LHD CoC does not explicitly state UK market ready - so the process is definitely different for importing a LHD van - how so - I would not presume to know .

I forgot your was a RHD Gerry, first van I imported was RHD but that was before it all changed, very few people actually import RHD so I assumed LHD.

Hi Lenny.

No problem! :-D

I forgot there were different hoops to jump through until you raised the point. Your experience of importing a LHD van and getting the IVA etc is possibly more relevant to the OP. As I didn't need the IVA, I was unaware of the requirement to send the LHD COC to the VCA as part of gaining the IVA prior to registration.

Best regards!

Gerry :-D

Lennhb & Gerry McG

Can either (or both) of you confirm what’s now involved when importing and UK-registering a motorhome, please?

The "Getting vehicle approval” advice

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/mutual-recognition

divides imported vehicles into two categories.

The first category relates to vehicles that are NOT registered in the EU and, for these, an application for Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) needs to be made. So if I buy a brand-new motorhome in, say, France - where I will be unable to have it registered - seemingly I would need to obtain an IVA certificate that would involve the motorhome being VCA-inspected before the certificate would be issued.

The second category relates to vehicles that ARE registered in the EU. In this instance the importer needs to have a Certificate of Conformity for the vehicle and - if the vehicle is left-hand drive - an application for a Certificate of Mutual Recognition must also be made. In this case no VCA inspection will be necessary. So, if I buy in any EU country a motorhome that is secondhand (and presumably registered), or a brand-new motorhome in Germany where obtaining short-term ‘temporary’ registration/3rd-party insurance is practicable, this category will be appropriate.

The critical thing seems to be whether a motorhome to be imported from an EU country is registered in that country at the time of import.

If a motorhome is not registered, an IVA certificate must be obtained and this involves the VCA inspecting the vehicle.

If a motorhome is registered and is left-hand drive a Certificate of Mutual Recognition must be obtained instead, but (whether the motorhome is RHD or LHD) no VCA inspection will be required.

Is the above an accurate summary of current procedures?

Derek Uzzell - 2017-10-05 7:42 AM

The first category relates to vehicles that are NOT registered in the EU and, for these, an application for Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) needs to be made. So if I buy a brand-new motorhome in, say, France - where I will be unable to have it registered - seemingly I would need to obtain an IVA certificate that would involve the motorhome being VCA-inspected before the certificate would be issued.

For LHD vehicles:-

That is a load of misinformation by the VCA, I know it says it on their website and if you phone then you get the same response. I know 2 people who have fallen for it & it took them 3 months to get an IVA test organised.

On the VCA form there is no mention of if having to be registered in another country.

I used the standard VCA route for my van in March and I know someone who did it a couple of weeks ago.

All you need to do is take the vehicle to a VAT registered garage or MOT test centre to have the headlamps, rear fog lamps and speedo checked for conformity, all the info is on the VCA form. Get a letter from the garage confirming this and with the form and the converters C of C send to the VCA and pay them £100.

You will receive back an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) certificate which together with your certificate of Newness & V55/4 is sent to DVLA with payment for VED ( £245 for PLG or £165 for PHG) and first vehicle registration fee (£55).

Before sending the V55/4 you need to pay the VAT by registering with the Government Gateway and paying via the NOVA service if you already have a Government Gateway, don't use it open a new one or you will have grief. Do make sure you have confirmation the VAT has been paid or they will reject it. I recommend you include the NOVA ref with your application.

That's about it, really is easy.

VCA service is usually very good you get you IVA back in a few days.

NOVA can be a pain as these days they only do financials on Tues & Thur so it can take over a week and their message system is flakey.

DVLA are slow and inefficient and can take 4 weeks or more and the slightest thing wrong with your application they won't query it they will just reject it.

Andy for RHD vehicles, ( mine was new, Uk spec, RHD on temporary german export plates)

Import into uk, pay VAT using the NOVA process,

Get nova ref

Complete DVLA registration paperwork, write checks send CoC papers to dvla.

The processor for importing a new van and a secondhand van also varies, so it might help us if you confirm if your planned van is LHD or RHD snd if new or on already registered?

It might help us give you the most relevant advice

OK, what this boils down to is that the 'IVA route' will only be used if a motorhome being imported to the UK IS NOT purchased in an EU country.

So if a motorhome is bought in, say, Norway, Turkey or Russia, IVA needs to be applied for and the motorhome will need to be VCA-inspected.

Conversely, when a motorhome being imported to the UK IS purchased in an EU country (and irrespective of whether it has been registered there) if the vehicle is also LHD a Certificate of Mutual Recognition needs to be applied for, but this does not require a VCA inspection. The application form for a Certificate of Mutual Recognition for an imported motorhome says

"Commission Notice/Mutual Recognition: This procedure is intended for vehicles built to a European specification that are being imported into the United Kingdom from other European countries.”

and (as Lenny has said) no mention is made about the motorhome’s ‘foreign’ registration status.

Presumably UK dealers importing RVs from the USA or campers from Japan will need to take the 'IVA route’, but the majority of motorhomes imported to the UK will either be RHD (no Certificate of Mutual Recognition required) or LHD when an application for a Certificate of Mutual Recognition will be necessary.

I’m not sure if the VCA or the DVLA (or both) is to blame for the confusion caused by the reference to “registered in the EU” on the relevant gov.uk webpages (example here)

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval

but as registration in the EU is plainly not a mandatory requirement when applying for a Certificate of Mutual Recognition for an LHD motorhome, the gov.uk webpages should be corrected.

Basically yes, except Sweden is in the EU, well it was last week. :-D

Under the Mutal recognition scheme, it is an IVA certificate that you need to register. (Individual Vehicle Approval) which is what the VCA send you.

Not only is the information on the VCA website about registrations is incorrect, if you phone them up you get the same story. This is what happened to the 2 people I know that went the IVA inspection route, one of them carried on this route despite advice from myself and other members on the Fun forum who have imported, all because he phoned them.

lennyhb - 2017-10-05 8:06 PM

Basically yes, except Sweden is in the EU, well it was last week. :-D ...

Easily resolved ;-)

(One of the side-benefits of having forum-moderator privileges is the ability to rewrite history.)

The confusion seems to be caused by the website; if the information on it were correct there would seem to be no real incentive to telephone the VCA.

• 2 years later...

Before sending the V55/4 you need to pay the VAT by registering with the Government Gateway and paying via the NOVA service if you already have a Government Gateway, don't use it open a new one or you will have grief. Do make sure you have confirmation the VAT has been paid or they will reject it. I recommend you include the NOVA ref with your application.

Lenny

I already have a Government Gateway id. Can you either respond here or PM outlining what problems you encountered using an existing one. If the gatewayid is keyed on your email address, does not applying for an additional one, lead to further complications. If not and your recommendation is still to apply for a further id then how far in advance of sending in the application should I, or can I apply?

Archived