Changes to campsites post Covid?

brom

When this initial crisis of the pandemic has passed, and we are allowed to return to the wider world and get used to living with Covid-19 at (hopefully) a lower level of infection, what changes, if any, do folk reckon will be needed to our holiday modus operandi, and the campsites we visit?

From the information currently available, it does seem that outdoor transmission of the virus is exceedingly rare, so provided we keep our distance from other families, there's little danger round our own vans on British campsites. (Continental sites might like to increase the space between units?)

The real problem will come with the shared facilities - toilets, showers, washing-up, drinking-water taps etc. There, it seems hardly feasible to stay away from others, and the warm, humid atmosphere commonly found in the ablutions block would seem ideal for transmission of virus in aerosol.

It seems to us that larger vans with their own facilities will become more popular again, but for those of us with small campervans, it's a problem.

We would like to see all ablutions-block outer doors opening outwards, so that you pull to open them, and push to leave, after you've done your business and washed your hands - we've always hated having to pull the door handle on leaving; most insanitary! Even better, the doors should be openable both ways using your elbow, as I read Ferrari have just installed in their factory.

It would also be helpful to have much greater fresh air flowing through the buildings, though out of season in Britain, that thought hardly appeals!

Lever taps throughout, which can be operated by the heel of your hand (or elbow even), are so much more sanitary than taps you have to grip and turn.

We feel that the blown-air hand-driers should be removed - marginally acceptable if everyone has thoroughly and completely washed their hands with soap and hot water, but otherwise they are surely a source of germs and viruses being blown all round the room.

Do others agree, or have any other bright thoughts as to how things could/should change?

Will the sites have to limit numbers using the facilities, or give set times for showers?

brom - 2020-05-19 11:34 AM

When this initial crisis of the pandemic has passed, and we are allowed to return to the wider world and get used to living with Covid-19 at (hopefully) a lower level of infection, what changes, if any, do folk reckon will be needed to our holiday modus operandi, and the campsites we visit?

You seem to be assuming that no vaccine, or cure , will ever be found for this virus.

It may be that future site design may incorporate some of the things you suggest, but I think it highly unlikely that any camping organisation is going to spend a fortune on updating until much more is known about future dangers / if any.

Some of the temporary arrangements in many organisations for this virus MAY remain permanent - but it's a bit early to predict the future requirements.

:-|

We tend to use aires in France and rarely use sites, so we are used to using our own facilities

When we use public toilets I never ever touch the door handles to leave the loo.

I always use a piece of loo paper and take my time, hoping someone will enter and hold the door.

Have you ever observed how many people do not wash their hands after no 1’s and even No2’s. Yuk.

So for me it makes no difference with Covid-19.

When using taps to fill my tank I tend to use disinfectant, partly due to my time working for the NHS and being a little OTT when working around the hospital.

It would be nice if doors opened out instead of inwards.

They may fit the foot door opener a little device easily available and then no hands are required.

Stay safe

Den

I had always thought doors opening inwards where a strange idea, until we built a house with one of the doors opening outwards, not a good thing unless very sheltered and they can't be ripped out of your hand with a sudden gust of wind.

Perhaps we could have self cleaning shower and toilet pods, similar in concept to superloos. They could be spaced around a campsite.

We stayed in a Formule 1 hotel many years ago and the bathroom was a study in minimalism.

Peter

malc d - 2020-05-19 5:08 PM

You seem to be assuming that no vaccine, or cure , will ever be found for this virus.

It may be that future site design may incorporate some of the things you suggest, but I think it highly unlikely that any camping organisation is going to spend a fortune on updating until much more is known about future dangers / if any.

Some of the temporary arrangements in many organisations for this virus MAY remain permanent - but it's a bit early to predict the future requirements.

:-|

Yes, I do feel it's unlikely to be a quick fix, and the only course open is to understand the virus as a continuing risk, and modify our behaviour slightly, whilst still getting on with life. It's not just Covid. There are, and always have been, all sorts of equally nasty bugs out there, waiting their chance - it's just folk were more blase. Now, minds have been concentrated, and behaviour will change. For instance, I believe the handshake will be seen in future as a very quaint, and dirty, custom from the Olden Days!

I do expect people, especially those in the more affected age groups (which includes many motorhomers), to be rather more careful about hygiene (for a while, at least!), and to wish to see steps taken to improve things. Many people are very wary about leaving home at all, and will want reassurance before visiting campsites.

We (my Missus in particular), have always been very mindful of the importance of hygiene - hence my query.

I'd not seen the foot-opened door system mentioned by Den - it seems so obvious, and so cheap, one wonders why it wasn't standardised ages ago. Just looked on Youtube, and there's a vast number of designs, including an elbow-operated handle which can be 3D printed. Wouldn't they be perfect in schools, pubs, train stations, airports - everywhere the public mixes?

Any other useful thoughts? I have in mind contacting the Clubs to make sensible suggestions which could be effected immediately, and might reassure the camping community as they venture back into the world. Then, if the problem passes, and many people relapse into their old, 'relaxed' hygiene habits, the improvements would still be there for the benefit of everyone's welfare!

We used and manufactured our own foot operated door openers over 20 years ago.

I sponsored a veterinary practice in Antigua and a hospital in Africa along with a Doctor from a NHS trust.

We understood from the start that viruses and mostly transferred by touch rather than airborne.

That’s why I never touch door handles of toilets.

After taking a light test for washing my hands, it surprised me how much of the dye was still on my hands after washing.

I wouldn’t say I’m OTT but careful.

I’m more happy to be out in the open than close to other people.

I’m sure later this year we’ll go to France and if we’re very lucky to our place in Spain.

But I certainly won’t be flying.

We Motorhomers are very lucky to have our own facilities, even on a day out at the moment, with no toilets open and if they were I wouldn’t use them for a long time.

I was talking at length with the owner of our favourite CL and rally field this morning. He reckons they may not open at all this year. They have also cancelled their rallies but he said he will wait and see what the guidance is and what the main sites decide to do. One worry he had was that if someone got sick they are 20 miles from the nearest hospital but reading between the lines maybe a lot of CL sites might not open. Maybe they dont need the hassle and worry. They are not money spinners. Many do it for a bit of fun or a little bit of extra income. So up in the air really but he's promised me first dibs if the do decide to open. B-)

If thats the case and only some sites open and not all imagine what it will be like getting a pitch. If we cant get on a well spaced out CL site this year I Reckon we wont be going anywhere.

The real problem will come with the shared facilities - toilets, showers, washing-up, drinking-water taps etc. There, it seems hardly feasible to stay away from others, and the warm, humid atmosphere commonly found in the ablutions block would seem ideal for transmission of virus in aerosol.

Some friends of mine usually work the summer season in UK as site wardens and it's due to the above quoted the site owners have decided to write this year off....period. They felt it safer (and easier!) to stay closed and lock the entire facilities up than try allowing a few folk on, only to then have them whining about not being able to use the shower block etc.

Archived